Snowboard Boots? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > GENERAL SNOWMOBILING

Old 11-08-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
lil indy 500

Primary Sled: 04 pro xr 440
Where I sled: Norquay

I am thinking about buying snowboard boots to use when snowmobiling, for one reason they are very warm, and the other reason I won't hurt my ankles if i ever wipe out. :dazed: I don't like big winter boots like sorels because they are always floppy and my socks fall down inside. That is what i hate the most!! The past year I have been using lined rubber boots. And that has seemed to be warm enough, although I have coolers under my feet on my sled so they are warm no matter what. lol. So does anyone here wear snowboard boots when snowmobiling? What do you think? Jeff
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
niscola

Primary Sled: 1991 formula plus, 1972 Polaris Colt 295 SS
Where I sled: Northern Manitoba

i've worn my snowboard boots a fair bit for snowmobiling and will again this year

but mine are really well broken in so they flex and move a lot, they're very comfortable but they're not all that warm, especially for trail riding, i have big sorel ish boots too, and i prefer my snowboard boots
niscola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
WKinneIII

Primary Sled: 1996 Polaris Ultra SP 680
Where I sled: Michigan

That is funny, I was considering askin if anyone used them earlier. I use Snowboard boots, they work great. They are extremely warm and give good support. They also stay very dry even if you go off trailing. I wouldn't use anything else. Another thing I like is that they are quite comfortable as far as boots go.
Wayne
1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 400cid (10:1 compression, Edelbrok Torker intake, 700 Holley Dbl Pumper, Crower Cam, TCI TH400 transmission, Hurst Ratchet Shifter, Hedman Headers)
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Successfully outrunning the light at the end of the tunnel.
WKinneIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
gman086

Primary Sled: 2003 REVegade X 800, 2007 Summit X 800R
Where I sled: Oregon/Washington and northern MI

I've been using my Airwalks for the past seven years when riding. They are canted forward which is perfect for aggressive riding and the ankle support they give for goin huge is unsurpassed. It is no wonder that all the hot new snwomobiling boots are a snowboard style, I'm just curious what took them so long to figure it out!!!

G MAN
gman086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
rampage

Primary Sled: 2002 800 MXZ X
Where I sled: top secret classified

Quote:
Originally posted by gman086@Nov 9 2004, 03:29 AM
I've been using my Airwalks for the past seven years when riding.* They are canted forward which is perfect for aggressive riding and the ankle support they give for goin huge is unsurpassed.* It is no wonder that all the hot new snwomobiling boots are a snowboard style, I'm just curious what took them so long to figure it out!!!

G MAN
[snapback]361583[/snapback]
I have a pair of Northwave snowboard boots but usually I only wear them on the sled if we're towing boards around the yard or something. They have a complete lace up inner bladder and I think they're too stiff for long snowmobile rides. Plus they're so big they tend to get 'wedged' in the foot rest which could be really bad if you have a get-off...
I have a pair of Rocky Snow Stalker Extremes I wear for sledding. These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Even though there like 1000 or 1500 grams of thinsulate + gore tex, they have some kind of heat control thinsulate so you can wear them when it's like 50 degrees out and your feet don't sweat. (you can also wear them down to like -30 and not be cold...)
Snowboard boots will work, but I'd get the Rocky's if I was you..

The one piece of boardin' equipment I always wear on my sled is gloves. Burton makes the best, most indestructible gloves that will outlast 10 pairs of 'regular' snowmobile gloves
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
92Indy440

Primary Sled: 1992 Polaris Indy 440
Where I sled: Where the white stuff fly's!

I use to wear snowboard boots while sledding, but nothing beats my new Sorels. I really liked them, and found that they were warm. The only thing I didn't like is after a long day of trail riding, I found my feet got cramped.
92Indy440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
BCthetwo

Primary Sled: '03 SKS 700
Where I sled: Western MI, U.P., & Ont.

I've been happy with board boots but I don't think mine are as stiff as most.
I use them on all but the coldest rides.
BCthetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Rocky Mountain

Primary Sled: Polaris XCR 600
Where I sled: S. Minnesota

Quote:
Originally posted by BCthetwo@Nov 9 2004, 10:24 AM
I've been happy with board boots but I don't think mine are as stiff as most.
I use them on all but the coldest rides.
[snapback]361641[/snapback]
Find good deals on snowboard boots at a major distributor called the H-House in Little Canada, MN, (N. ST. PAUL)
Rocky Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
Bauer

Mileage: 50 miles
Primary Sled: 2005 800 HO MXZ GADE 01 MXZ 800 Black And Yellow
Where I sled: Roblin area. Duck Mtns, Asessippi, Lake of The Praries
Send a message via MSN to Bauer

I started to wear board boots last year, and it takes a while to get used to them. Mine are very stiff. One word of caution, they are not very sit down friendly. Too stiff. Other than that, they are a godsend for stand up riding. Awesome support, good grippers, warm, and if they get wet, they dry very easily. All in all, i would give board boots a 9/10 rating. The 1 mark lost is for sit down riding (cold days when you need to get behind the windshield for a while). Buy em.

Bauer
Old 11-09-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
zitremedy

Primary Sled: 2006 Arctic Cat Sabercat 500 LX EFI
Where I sled: LaSalle, Headingley, Elie

Quote:
Originally posted by rampage@Nov 9 2004, 06:15 AM
They have a complete lace up inner bladder and I think they're too stiff for long snowmobile rides.* Plus they're so big they tend to get 'wedged' in the foot rest which could be really bad if you have a get-off...
[snapback]361587[/snapback]
The few times I have tried wearing snowboarding boots on a slede I have found them to be much too stiff to put in the footwells and ended up with sore ankles. However, given the new seating position of the REV, I would tend to think that this style of boot would be much more effective on such a sled.

Also, as has been said, they are not all that warm.

Another thing to consider, obviously you have snowboard boots, try walking 10 miles in them and see if you can do it.... you know... just in case of break down somewhere...... I have done it, albeit not in snowboard boots, and it is not fun either way.

Personally, I have a pair of Cat boots from the mid-70's that are warm as hell. Don't look like much as some of the outer vinyl is cracked, however i wouldn't trade them for the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement