Xtra 12 Suspension - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
aswetich

Primary Sled: 2005 GSX 800 PowerTek
Where I sled: Northern Michigan

I have a 2001 Indy Classic 700 with the Xtra 12 suspension and the electronic shock control. Since day one it seems to ride rougher than it should. One thing I have always noticed is that it NEVER bottoms out. With the electronic shock control the only setting other than the switch on the handlebars is the FRSS settings. (Have tried every setting - Currenlty on LOW) I read something in the manual about getting a softer spring depending on your weight. I am about 180 Lbs ..

Any Ideas on what to look for ???

Thanks
aswetich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
michahicks

When you sit down on the sled with your gear on, how far are you dropping the rear bumper?
'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
aswetich

Primary Sled: 2005 GSX 800 PowerTek
Where I sled: Northern Michigan

About an Inch
aswetich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Don M.

Primary Sled: 500 Classic
Where I sled: Baffin Island

I know this won't help you but I've been riding on an Xtra 12 ( 133" ) for 8 years now and simply love it, I've never driven anything even close. It does not have the electronic shock control. I have EVERYTHING set on the lowest setting, I weigh 275 lbs. fully dressed and the bumper will drop 6 - 8" when I sit on it. If I turn the cam up on the torsion springs it will only drop 2 - 3" and become quite rough. I also notice that if I turn the adjustment screws on the shocks even a little bit it will also become rougher.

I never tinker with the adjustments ( unless I ride 2 - up ) and this suspension has been COMPLETELY maintenance free for 8 years ( 8000 miles ). I am looking at a '05 with the M - 10 suspension and am really concerned that it won't live up to my expectations.

Good Luck, this is a really great suspension.
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
michahicks

The suspension should be set up to drop in the 4" range when you sit on it. You can go a little more (softer), or a little less (stiffer), to suit your taste. With sag set for 1", I can understand why it's so stiff. It's been too long since I've messed with one of those to remember all the setup info. There should be a couple different stickers under the hood with that info. Have you checked them out?

Umm, by the way. I doubt the M-10 would EVER disappoint anyone that enjoys the Extra-12.
'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #6
xcr600spracer

Primary Sled: Polaris
Where I sled: Minn,Mich Canada and WI

Quote:
Originally posted by Don M.@Jan 8 2005, 06:52 AM
I know this won't help you but I've been riding on an Xtra 12 ( 133" ) for 8 years now and simply love it, I've never driven anything even close. It does not have the electronic shock control. I have EVERYTHING set on the lowest setting, I weigh 275 lbs. fully dressed and the bumper will drop 6 - 8" when I sit on it. If I turn the cam up on the torsion springs it will only drop 2 - 3" and become quite rough. I also notice that if I turn the adjustment screws on the shocks even a little bit it will also become rougher.

I never tinker with the adjustments ( unless I ride 2 - up ) and this suspension has been COMPLETELY maintenance free for 8 years ( 8000 miles ). I am looking at a '05 with the M - 10 suspension and am really concerned that it won't live up to my expectations.

Good Luck, this is a really great suspension.
[snapback]386085[/snapback]

The M-10 is the best suspension I have ever road on and I've ridden on all the polaris rear skids. The only thing that is a pain in the a** is getting the adjustments set to your weight and riding style but once you get it set its awesome. Fallow the adjustments setup in the M-10 manual and if you don't have that go to fast Inc.com
xcr600spracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement