Sled Starts And Idles Fine But Then Dies - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > ARCTIC CAT

Old 01-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
TheVintageIdiot

Where I sled: Southern Ontario
Unhappy

I just finished getting my 95 ZRT 600 back together with a new used motor. Only modifications are UFO's in the carbs which worked great with my previous motor which had a big bore 700 top end on it. When I first got it together I started it up on the track stand and it ran fine. So I took it out to a small lake nearby to test it out. It bogged on the low end but then picked up and took of and everything seemed ok once I was moving. I stopped to check the plugs since I had adjusted the jetting in the carbs. Everything looked good so I started it back up and went to take off again, got about 50 meters and the sled just bogged right down and I shut it down. Now it will start right up on the first pull but as soon as I touch the throttle it just bogs out, if I open it half way it just dies. Even with the track off the ground and no load on the motor it does the same thing, which means it is a motor issue and nothing to do with the clutches. My first thought was maybe the fuel pump since it was a used one I had put on. I pulled off the impulse hose with the sled idling and it appears to be working just fine. Today I put a new fuel pump on the sled and it still does the same thiing. As soon as I touch the throttle it just bogs out and pumps oily smoke, which makes me think that it is some how not getting any gas. I'm really stumped because the sled seemed to run ok when I first got it on the lake and it starts up first pull and seems to idle fine. I have full tank of fresh gas with some gas line antifreeze in it and I cleaned the carbs when I was installing the new motor. Please guys, I'm really stumped here :dunno: and I would appreciate any help anyone can give me since my sled has been sitting on the lake in front of my friends house for 2 nights now :banghead: By the way there are no carb switches on this sled so they are not the problem. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post :div20:

1995 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 Big Bore
- resleeved to 700cc's
- UFO's
- clutched
- 144 chisels
TheVintageIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
dirtdr03

Mileage: 280 miles
Primary Sled: 2006 Arctic Cat M7 153
Where I sled: Snowy Range, WY; Black Hills, SD;

I know you probably already did, but the first thing I would do is change plugs and check gap, and then see how strong your spark is. Last set of plugs I had in looked fine, but ran like .
dirtdr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
ZR Sled Head

Primary Sled: '02 ZR-900 cce
Where I sled: Ontario

Carb switches........still hooked up?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
TheVintageIdiot

Hey guys, thanks for responding, but the plugs are brand new and correctly gapped and the carb switches are long gone, they were removed by the previous owner. I just have no idea why its doing this, especially since it ran ok for like 10mins before this started happening. Worst part is its still sitting on the lake and its not coming off unless its under its own power. There's a huge steep hill to get off the lake and my friends all have small machines that would likely burn their belt trying to pull this boat!

- resleeved to 700cc's
- UFO's
- clutched
- 144 chisels
Old 01-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
94ZR580

Where I sled: Around town and Christopher / Emma Lakes

Oily smoke would make me think it is a rich condition. Maybe the stator is acting up and the spark is being interrupted when the revs try to increase. Can you get it to rev right at start up? Do you need to use full choke on cold starts? Your chokes could be stuck open?
94ZR580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
WKinneIII

Primary Sled: 1996 Polaris Ultra SP 680
Where I sled: Michigan

My sled did the same thing, my problem was water, and lots of it. I know you prolly already checked thisa, but this was definately my sleds problem, and it did the exact same thing yours did.
Wayne
1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 400cid (10:1 compression, Edelbrok Torker intake, 700 Holley Dbl Pumper, Crower Cam, TCI TH400 transmission, Hurst Ratchet Shifter, Hedman Headers)
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Successfully outrunning the light at the end of the tunnel.
WKinneIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
ac_modder

Primary Sled: 05 M7 153"
Where I sled: Minnesota

Maybe that throttle safety switch is screwing up? Just a guess.
ac_modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
TheVintageIdiot

No throttle safety's on this sled, they've been removed.

WKinneIII, I assume you're talking about water in the carbs?? everything is fresh and there's gasline antifreeze in it as well.

I'm beginning to think that I may have got some coolant on main wiring harness connection since its right below the filler tube, or I may have a bad ground. Luckily my friend with skandic is gonna tow it off the lake tomorrow so I can work on it in my warm garage.

- resleeved to 700cc's
- UFO's
- clutched
- 144 chisels
Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #9
FarrOut

Primary Sled: ZR440 Sno-Pro
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

I've just spent 2 weeks chasing the exact same issue...turns out the motor wasnt aligned properly and I had to shim the secondary and adjust the motor accordingly...put the sled in the air, let it idle...the track will slowly start to move under its own power at idle....now put the brake on and watch the motor die!

Solved.
FarrOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
bat on a cat

Mileage: 100
Primary Sled: artic cat f7 efi
Where I sled: mi.

if it idles fine and stalles when you crack the throttle it sounds like your strarving for fuel plugged jet,incorrect flote hieght,air bubble in the fuel line. try spraying a little gas directly in the carbs and see if that dont make it go away.
bat on a cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement