Yamaha Vk 540 No Spark, Help! - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > YAMAHA

Old 02-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
lumberjak5010

Mileage: 450
Primary Sled: Viking VK 540/Bravo LT
Where I sled: Alaska

This is my first post. I live in northern Alaska, I own a VK 540 and a Bravo LT. The VK is great for hauling big loads of lumber or three drums of fuel on the cargo sled. My wife rides the Bravo. It's slow, but we rarely go more than 30mph. It's a simple, dependable, light and tough sled.

However, recently, my 1990 Yamaha VK 540 shut off like someone hit the kill switch . I fiddled around and checked the plugs and wires, no spark anywhere. How do I trouble shoot this one? I suspect it could be one of several things: the kill switch, possibly the machine has a low oil shut off that's messed up, maybe the coil died or maybe the stator is toast. Any ideas? Thanks!
lumberjak5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
Yamahammer

Mileage: 780kms
Primary Sled: 2000 Venture 500 XL
Where I sled: Espanola, Killarney, Sudbury

Just wondering if ur famialar with T.O.R.S., its a throttle sensor that senses if the throttle wont come back after it has been depressed, as if it got stuck or something. In ur manual it shows how to disconnect this in an event where u need to overide the system to get home or whatever. We had a bravo too and that happened to us, so just look it u, disconnect it and ull be good. If that doesnt work, check your wiring to ur kill switch and to ur coil and everything. If that doesnt work, try replacing the coil and see what happens, and inspect ur stator for anything that looks out of place. Sorry I cant be more help, good luk with that!.

USI VX-301 skis
Studboy 9" Shaper Bars
136" Ripsaw Track
108 1.325" Woodys Stainless Steel Studs
Woodys Big Nuts
GYT-R hood Brackets
GYT-R Skidplate
NGK Iridium Sparkplugs
Amsoil Interceptor Oil
Fitch Fuel Catalysts
Shockpros Shock Covers
Powermadd 3" Riser Block
Powermadd Throttle Cable Extension
NTN blueseal Bearings
Medium Height Tint Windsheild
Custom Liscense Plate
Sportech Blue Lightsheild
Zenon Headlight Bulb
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Tim Kunsa

Primary Sled: 83 SS440 w/ L/C 570cc
Where I sled: Central VT
Send a message via AIM to Tim Kunsa

I had a kill switch go bad an cause a loss of spark, if I rember correctly, you can just unplug the kill switch to run the sled. The coils are easy to remove, so you could try the Bravo coil on your sled to check for spark. Even if the bravo is a single, it will still plug in and show spark on one plug. As for bypassing the key switch, I couldn't explain that without looking at the wiring on it. I do remember pulling a prank on a friend by hiding his sled, he had taken the key, but if you unplug the 2 prong plug with a black wire and a black wire with a white stripe from the key swith it started right up. You could try that if your sled has a plug with those wires clipped to the airbox. Good luck finding it, but on the bright side, at least its not an intermittant loss of spark, those are much tougher!
Tim Kunsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
lumberjak5010

Mileage: 450
Primary Sled: Viking VK 540/Bravo LT
Where I sled: Alaska

Hi, by the way, it's the VK 540 that's giving me problems....OK! I unplugged the kill switch, no spark. I hooked the TORS wires coming down from the steering column together and I hooked the two TORS wires together at the carb, no spark. I tested the coil, no ohms. SO I took the coil to the dealer and they said the coil was good. I bought a new digital meter, still no ohms. :bash: Must operator error. The dealer tec said to unplug the starter/key switch. If that wasn't it then he said it's either the stator or the CDI. I got the ohm specs for the stator. ...OK it's saturday morning and I am still sparkless! I unplugged the starter/key switch..no spark. I put a meter on every wire in sight. No ohms out of the coil or stator wires. What the? It's -25f here and I am working outside, so that is a factor, but 0.000000 ohms? I put everything back together, no ohms anywhere, no spark anywhere. I am beginning to wonder if I got hit by a stray EMP! Any ideas? I don't want to buy a CDI just to find out it's good. The parts place won't let me return it.
lumberjak5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement