97 Mach 1 700 Triple - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
newfiebyblood

Primary Sled: 99 mxz 670 ho
Where I sled: anywere i can
Send a message via MSN to newfiebyblood

i was looking at a 97 700 triple today was just wondering if anyone could tell me what this sled is like.Also how is the gas milage and the power any info would be great thanks in advance
newfiebyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
freakshow12

Primary Sled: 2003 rev x 800, 05 mach z 1000
Where I sled: everywhere

they had some crank issues. if the update has not been done be prepared to buy an engine. all of the ones in my area that I know of blew up.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
97mach1

Mileage: 69 miles
Primary Sled: 2008 MXZ Renegade 800R
Where I sled: White Cloud, MI

I have 5000 miles on mine, on the second engine, and I hope to get over the 10,000 mark someday.

I had the first engine go due to lack of coolant, not because of any crank issue.

Power and speed are awesome, easily beating most 800 twins if you set it up right.

Handling is good if you take the time to set it up properly. I can ride the trails all day long with the best of them, just don't ask me to ride the next day!!

Gas mileage is about the best you can get from a snowmobile, at trail speeds, the engine isn't working very hard, so it doesn't use a lot of gas. If you take a bunch of 100+ mph passes across the lake all day long, then it will drink the gas, but is still respectable. I usually average well over 15 mpg when I am riding on the trails.

If you can possibly find a 1997 Mach Z for about the same price, then I would consider that instead. I would have, but my insurance limits me to 699.9 cc's.

Jim
1997 Mach 1
97mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
otto

Mileage: 1000 km
Primary Sled: 1997 Mach 1

I just picked up a 97 mach 1. Before you buy one, ask about the crank. Test it if you can. Remove the primary, start it up, rev it up and hit the kill switch. When the engine stops completely, listen to see if you can hear the crank bearings still spinning. I'm currently in the midst of putting my new crank in because of this. Other than that, so far so good. Only went out on one weekend with it.

Oh yeah, my old crank case had a hold drilled in it so oil could from from cyl #3 to the two pto bearings. My new case does not have this hole so I packed the bearings with isoflex grease. Kluber nbu-15 is the type of isoflex I used. Supposed to be aircraft quality synthetic grease that won't wash out or break down.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
steve92skidoo

Mileage: 72 kms
Primary Sled: 04 F6 EFI
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

I wouldn't recommend taking of the primary and reving the engine unless you are looking to create a problem. The primary balances the crank. You don't need to remove the primary to perform the test. Start the sled, rev it up, and shut it down. If the bearings are spinning you will hear them.

Steve
steve92skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
kragar

its not the bearing you can hear, its the race which hold the bearing together. I had one of my race motors like this and ran it all season long b4 tearing it down. Mind you I was premixing too. The motor can make a ton of power. Put 600 pipes on it and go beat up a lot of sleds.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
rotaxmaniac

Primary Sled: 02 LEGEND 800
Where I sled: central ontario

Just sold my 97 mach 1, I bought it in 98 with 1100km's, it had over 10.000 kms when i sold it . TROUBLE FREE from the time i bought it!!!
I pulled the top end apart at 7000 km's, everything measured to within new specifications, put it back together with new gaskets and ran it till i sold it! Always used BOMBI synthetic oil. Totally stock, 144 studs, would run side by side with buddies 2000 mach z up to 100 mph, then he would slowly pull away. I now ride a 02 ZX 800, don't feel beat up after a 300km ride like i did with the Mach, but i do miss the triple!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement