Keilin carb. help * 700 xc - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 01-13-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
GJR

I have a 700 XC Deluxe 2000. (below 1000 feet) Idels good but seems to run rich in the 1/8-1/4 range. (4600-5800 rpm) Started with #38 pilot jet, 5.5 cutaway, and R1368G(3) jet needle.
Changed to a R1371G(3). This made it a little better. Cleaned up about 300 rpm sooner. So I droped needle 1 notch, and this took care of about 90% problem. Just a little fat around 1/8 throttle.
*I also tryed changing to a #35 pilot jet and put clip back in center notch (R1371G) This was just as bad as when I started.
I would think droping the needle all the way down would clean it up 100% but, be to lean in the mid range.
*I was thinking of going to a 6.0 cutway as this seems to have the most effect-off idle to 1/4 throttle.(acording to the chart anyway)
*I have checked and cleaned everything, and tryed the carbs off a 2001 700 XC.
*Any help, suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
retiredpop

Mileage: 35,000 miles +
Primary Sled: 2010 RMK600
Where I sled: AB, BC, MT

Some people are having success using the boost bottle that SLP makes. I also remember people talking about using DEN needles and having success with them too. Sorry I don't have part numbers for the needles but try contacting Tri-city Polaris. They may have the answers for you. Tri-City Polaris
Old 01-15-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
GJR

Thanks. *I will give them a call.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:08 PM   #4
xc 600

Primary Sled: 04 800 ProXR 151"
Where I sled: The stiks
Send a message via MSN to xc 600

Get your self a SLP boost bottle and there power paks which will give you what your looking for and it is a cheap and easy setup to try. *Did it to my 600 and I ll never go back to stock it makes a hugh difference more than the clutch kit I but on my sled.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:46 AM   #5
GJR

Thanks. *I was thinking of trying a boost bottle.
But what do the power packes do? *
*THANKS again for your help.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
skidplate

GJR, me again. *Hey it sounds like you are on the right track. I ride a '99 SKS and had a terrible 0-1/4 throttle range. *I bought the SLP boost bottle, (the Rec.Supply is the same)and installed some Boyesen reeds. *That cleared up the problem. *I didn't want to spend the money on the Delta V's but it seems the Boyesens did the trick. *As for the power pacs I am curious to hear what they are all about too. P.S. Stay with the 5.5 slides.
skidplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
xc007

Primary Sled: '02 MXZ 800 and '00 XC 700
Where I sled: Southern Mn and the U.P.

I have a 2000 XC700SP. *I'm running into a similar issue with the 1371 needles, Boost bootle, and power paks. *With the 38 pilots it seems a little too lean down low, I couldn't get the idle right. *So I changed the pilots to 40s. *Now it idles fine, but it's a little too rich. *I'm going to try the 1370 needles with the 38 pilots next, as soon as my dealer gets them in.

As for the power paks, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the theory is that it increases the air velocity moving through the carbs at different throttle openings. *They basically divide the opening (to the engine side of the slides) into three. *When the slide is 1/3 way up, the air is kept in the bottom 1/3 of this opening, this way the air doesn't have to fill up the larger opening before moving on. *At from 1/3 - 2/3 air moves through the bottom two openings, etc.

It works like water in a pipe. *If you're pushing water through a 1/4" pipe that expands to 1/2" the water will slow down when it enters the 1/2" pipe. *If you keep the pipe size the same, the velocity will stay the same.

Then again, I may be way off. *All I know is they do seem to work. *$60 worth of performance increase, but probably not much more.

Click on the links to vist my garage
'02 MXZ 800
'00 XC 700 SP - For Sale
'97 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
'98 Olds Intrigue
xc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 06:23 PM   #8
atrappe

Hey guys,
*I have a 2000 sp. The boost bottle helped some. I think the biggest difference in the sled was changing the clutching. I added a epi clutch kit and that made a huge difference. The current helix bogs motor down at lower throttle positions. *I also changed the needles (to the above mentioned) and dropped them down 1 from stock. There were many articles last year criticizing Polaris for the clutch set up in these sleds. If you want to stick with Polaris parts in the clutch you can use a R11 helix, silver blue secondary, and a almond gold primary. The EPI kit has a more aggressive angle at the top.

As for the Power Pac from SLP i had no luck. *SLP claims there are no other mods needed. However when I installed them I was getting 3 mpg. When I called them they said that this happens a lot? Great to know after I purchased the parts. I didn't believe they were worth the tuning problems so I took them out. If anyone wants to try them I'll sell them cheep!!
atrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 07:36 PM   #9
xc 600

Primary Sled: 04 800 ProXR 151"
Where I sled: The stiks
Send a message via MSN to xc 600

The power paks worked for me I did have to play with the air screw I ended up at 1 1/2 turns out *and left the pilots alone. The only thing is when you install them make sure!!! you get them parallel with the slide or you will not experience the benefits and go backward in performance. This was on a 600 non ves not a 700 though. *As for changing clutching go with the stock weights Polaris almond gold primary spring , Polaris silver blue secondary spring and any 50-36 degree helix. *Try www.startinglineproducts.com they have all the clutch setups they recommend and can give you the theory behind power paks.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:09 PM   #10
Xc Special

any *body need power pacs ,but atrappes cheap.you won,t be sorry.never ever heard of 3 mpg.didn,t effect milage at all.but throttle response ,oh ya ,pull the trigger and rpm,s *are right there{with a bottle}
*i also have a 00 700xcsp. tempa flow. 11-12 mpg jetted,clutched.needles.50-36 ,10-62,s almond gold.hsp white .pulls 7900 from bottom to top .she rips * *

03 700XCSP PERC, SLP SINGLE EXH, 1.4 136 track,slp intake, gutted box,C&A skis,tempa flow,shorty seat

97 XLT
Xc Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement