03 Rev 800 Hp Rating? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
DS800

Primary Sled: MXZ 800
Where I sled: New York

I just picked up an 03 MXZ 800 Rev after many years of riding seriously outdated sleds (90 570 Exciter and worse). I am attempting to find out what the stock HP rating and compression should be on this sled, If anyone knows if there are any common problems with these sleds could you please let me know what the watch for or what I can do to prevent any potential problems. Thanks anyone who can provide some info.
DS800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Thumbdoctor

Primary Sled: 2005 MXz Adrenalin 800HO
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

I've seen that model dynoed at 135 HP & 93 pound feet of torque. Don't worry too much about compression as you will have different result with different gauges. Make sure they are within 10% of eachother and above 120 PSI.

The usual issues are ring degradation of the moly filler which causes stalling when engaging RER, poor fuel economy, low peak power and getting your a$$ whooped by 600s.
The stock reed cages are also suspect. They tend to delaminate the rubber coating around the reed petals. Tell tale signs are light blistering on the outside of the reed box. Performance will be affected in the form of poor idle characteristics, poor fuel economy and boggy acceleration.

Bill Cudney @http://www.cudneyracing.com has the best fix for the rings and pistons(if needed)
Aftermarket reeds are at par pricewise with OEM and improve mid range throttle performance (some require jetting down which nets some minor decrease in fuel consumption).

Good luck with you new purchase

Kilos traveled this season 2750
Thumbdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Droptop

Mileage: 850 miles
Primary Sled: 2008 MXZ 550X REV
Where I sled: Central/Northern New Hampshire

Rings and crank seals are the most common problems. Check behind the secondary to see if oil is leaking from the crank.

-2008 Ski-Doo MXZ 550X

Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
DS800

Quote:
I've seen that model dynoed at 135 HP & 93 pound feet of torque. Don't worry too much about compression as you will have different result with different gauges. Make sure they are within 10% of eachother and above 120 PSI.

The usual issues are ring degradation of the moly filler which causes stalling when engaging RER, poor fuel economy, low peak power and getting your a$$ whooped by 600s.
The stock reed cages are also suspect. They tend to delaminate the rubber coating around the reed petals. Tell tale signs are light blistering on the outside of the reed box. Performance will be affected in the form of poor idle characteristics, poor fuel economy and boggy acceleration.

Bill Cudney @http://www.cudneyracing.com has the best fix for the rings and pistons(if needed)
Aftermarket reeds are at par pricewise with OEM and improve mid range throttle performance (some require jetting down which nets some minor decrease in fuel consumption).

Good luck with you new purchase
[/b]
Thanks for the info but I'm a little concerned now due to the fact that the sled tends to stall when engaging the RER unless I get the RPM's up and give it a little gas. The sled only has 1,208 miles on it. Do you think the rings could be a problem already and would I be better off using Wiseco to replace them? Thanks again for your help
Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Droptop

Mileage: 850 miles
Primary Sled: 2008 MXZ 550X REV
Where I sled: Central/Northern New Hampshire

Well, the stalling when engaging RER is a possible problem. But before you come to the conclusion that it is the rings, veify that the idle is set correctly. Also, usually when the engine is cold, it may stall upon engaging RER on the first and second time.

If it still stalls when the engine is warm and the idle is set correctly, than yes, the compression is low, thus requiring new rings.

-2008 Ski-Doo MXZ 550X

Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
DS800

Quote:
Well, the stalling when engaging RER is a possible problem. But before you come to the conclusion that it is the rings, veify that the idle is set correctly. Also, usually when the engine is cold, it may stall upon engaging RER on the first and second time.

If it still stalls when the engine is warm and the idle is set correctly, than yes, the compression is low, thus requiring new rings.
[/b]
That would make sense since the engine has been cold each time it has happened. It would be nice to not have to work on it yet since I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. The idle seems to be ok but if the problem continues once it warms up I'll check it. Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement