Helmet Walkie Talkies? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > GENERAL SNOWMOBILING

Old 12-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
lt1transam13

Mileage: 300 miles
Primary Sled: Yamaha Vmax 600
Where I sled: PA

I've seen these somewhere before... and I really want to get a set....

I would love to just talk freely to my two riding partners, without having to press a button to speak like a walkie talkie.....

basically like we are all on a 3 way phone...

is this possible with any kind of equipment?

If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone knew where I could find them

thanks so much

jason
lt1transam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
rvanderklok

You can talk freely with all helmet walkie talkies. The ear pieces fit nicely inside the ear cups of the helmet. The only problem is, the mic has to be touching your bottom lip or it won't pic up the sound (this is so you're not listening to the engine of the sled constantly). Therefore, you probably wouldn't want to share your mic with too many people due to the slobber they'll leave behind.
rvanderklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
lt1transam13

Mileage: 300 miles
Primary Sled: Yamaha Vmax 600
Where I sled: PA

where can i buy something like this?
lt1transam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
rvanderklok

Any of your local snowmobile dealers should sell them.
rvanderklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Homer2002

Primary Sled: 2002 Yamaha Viper
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

If you buy the HJC Chatterbox you can do exactly what you want. It mounts to your helmet. Most HJC helmets have pockets inside for the earpiece. The mic mounts in the mouth area with velcro. It doesn't have to touch your lips like one of the guys said. The mics are voice activated so you don't have any buttons to press. There is a sensitivity adjustment so that you don't always key the mic when you hit the throttle. I've had mine for about 5 years and I would never ride without one again. They cost about $240 here in Canada but they are worth every penny. No more stopping to talk to your buddy about where you are going or where to turn or if you need gas, etc. They are also a great safety feature as the lead rider can warn of dangers on the trail and approaching riders etc. Make sure you buy a spare battery. The battery will normally last about a day and a half of riding, depending how much you talk. The HJC is the best I've seen yet due to the fact that everything is contained in/on your helmet so everytime you take your helmet off there is nothing wired into your coat or sled. If you do a search in this forum for chatterbox you will probably find some extensive posts we had about these a year or two ago.
Homer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
flyin-lowe

Mileage: 00.00
Primary Sled: I don't have one anymore!
Where I sled: IN, MI
Send a message via Yahoo to flyin-lowe

Check out Collett Communicators on the net. If you do a search on here you will see that a lot of people have there units and alot of people like them.
flyin-lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
Homer2002

Primary Sled: 2002 Yamaha Viper
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

I don't know what the latest Collet radios are like but my buddy has an older one. It sounds good but it has a battery pack ( that is actually fairly large, it may also have some of the radio electronics )that you keep in your coat, so there is a wire running from your helmet that you have to disconnect every time you take your helmet and/or coat off. It may not seem like a big deal but if someone makes one without a cord I can't imagine dealing with a cord. One advantage the collet may have is longer life between battery changes. I bought a spare battery for my Chatterbox and always carry it with me. I can usually make it through the weekend with the two batteries. I take the power cord to charge it if I am going longer than the weekend.
Homer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
FishHog

Mileage: 0 km
Primary Sled: 2008 Renegade 800R
Where I sled: Ride wherever there is snow.

I'm with Homer, but then again, hes the one I ride with 99% of the time.

Either way, they are a great addition to your gear, for both convience and safety reasons.

I hate riding with guys who don't have them, as they just make it so easy to keep in touch with each other.

FishHog
Advertisement