Ice Scratchers - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Fallofmaxpayne

Primary Sled: ski-doo Grand Touring

OK Guys,

I have been reading many many messages concerning overheating problems. My question is would I be better with Ice Scaratchers or install studs on my track.

Need advice.

Thanks
Fallofmaxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
TimberPig

Where I sled: BC

Studs give you the benefit of better traction as well as spraying the coolers to help keep it cool. Ice scratchers only spray to cool the hifax and engine. The scratchers are cheaper, but without the added benefits of studs. Ice scratchers are more intended for deep lug tracks on mountain sleds or other sleds not running studs. If you are running a short lug track and want better traction on ice, studs are likely a better choice. if all you want is to cool the sled down the scratchers will help, but if running on glare ice they still may not prevent it from overheating.
TimberPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
foxstoy

Mileage: 200 bad year
Primary Sled: 1999 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 583
Where I sled: WI

Quote:
Studs give you the benefit of better traction as well as spraying the coolers to help keep it cool. Ice scratchers only spray to cool the hifax and engine. The scratchers are cheaper, but without the added benefits of studs. Ice scratchers are more intended for deep lug tracks on mountain sleds or other sleds not running studs. If you are running a short lug track and want better traction on ice, studs are likely a better choice. if all you want is to cool the sled down the scratchers will help, but if running on glare ice they still may not prevent it from overheating.
[/b]
Does anyone know the best place to mount them? I have two different versions. One set has one for each side that stays down when riding and the other is a lot thicker scratcher but there is only one and it looks like I have to put my foot on it to keep it down. Anyone else have that version?
foxstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
440man

Where I sled: WI

I have a 2004 mxzx 740 (440 chassis) with the SMALL 440 cooler. I"M runing 96 studs...I also have ice scratchers. With the ice scratchers not deployed, i am running mid-way on my temp gauge. When my scratchers are down, the needle doesn't even go over "C" (cold). Infact, i even thought my sendor took a ####, since it wasn't hardly moving. SO, I picked the scrathers up and the needle rose, so I knew the scratcher really kept the sled that cool! The ice scratchers work AWESOME.

By the way, for 121'', you can only get the HOLZ scratchers that mount to the bottom of your runnig boards. The rail mounted ones are for 136'' +.

IMHO, if you dont ride ice too much, and want to stay cool all the time, with or WITHOUT a big lug track, ice scratchers are the way to go.
440man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
TimberPig

Where I sled: BC

There are also ski mount ice scratchers, in addition to rail mounted and tunnel mounted versions. For older sleds without reverse, a cheap method is to drill at the tail of the skis and insert a small bolt to drag and kick up snow and ice. It works well, but is a little less efficient than the dedicated scratchers.
TimberPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
FZ700

Primary Sled: 2003 Yamaha RX1
Where I sled: Mn. and Wi. and anywhere else there is SNOW!

Royal Distributing has the rail mouted and the tunnel mounted version. I myself run the tunnel mounted ones. They do make a big difference.

here's a link for you. Royal Distributing
FZ700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
dans1232

Primary Sled: MXZx800
Where I sled: Midwest/Rockies

My scratchers mounted on a hole that was already in the rail. The nice thing is you can mount them where ever there is room. There is no specific place they need to be except on the rail.

I had the same experience as 400man this weekend. With the scratchers up in marginal conditions, the sled got very warm. Once I put them down, the sled cooled off quickly.
dans1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement