Edge Long Track Conversion - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 10-03-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
UPrider

Primary Sled: 2001 polaris edgex
Where I sled: Da Yoop
Lightbulb

I'm seriously considering doing a long track conversion on my 2001 600 Edge. I am buying a new track this year, and I figured that if I am shelling out the money for a new track I might as well get a 136" track. Specifically I am looking at the SLP 121-136" rail extensions. Does anyone here have experience with this kit?? Any problems?

Even if I don't do the long track kit, I am still buying a new track with a taller lug, so my main questions are about track lug height and clearance...

I was thinking of putting in a 1.5" lug track. Does anyone know how tall of a track you can put into an edge chassis? At what point do I have to install a set of smaller drive cogs to fit the track in the tunnel?

I am going to call SLP and tracksUSA tomorrow to ask them the same questions, I will post back here with what they tell me in regards to lug height, but I wanted to draw on the opinions and knowlegde of this site, also. You know, kinda like a second opinion. Thanks in advance.
UPrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2002, 08:16 AM   #2
AlaskanGold

Send a message via Yahoo to AlaskanGold

I have a 1.5" paddle on my 02 600xc fit just fine, I know a guy who put a 121 x 2" on his 02 700xc. I'm pretty sure he had to raise her up for that track though! I was also looking into putting a 136 on my 600, but talked to the wife and she said it was cool to snowcheck on 04' RMK, so I think i'll wait for that!! Anyway be sure to post back with results, oh and I talked to my dealer about a conversion and he said he would do it for $700 installed with a 2" I believe.
AlaskanGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
BLADEGUY

One thing to consider is air flow. You might fit the paddles, but my sled (doo) slowed down because snow would pack up in front and the air could not flow through properly causing resistance. I don't know how to determine the proper height, but it is something to consider.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
UPrider

Lightbulb

Ok, I just checked with SLP and came up with some info.. for one thing, their kit does not extend the dovetail that your hifax fits in... That means you end up with 136" rails, but still use the same size hifax as your 121". I'm not too sure if I am keen on having 15" of aluminum sitting out there with no hifax to protect it.

The guy I talked to also said that 1.5" lugs is the deepest track to install and still keep the stock drive cogs. You can go higher by installing smaller diameter drive cogs. Anyways, that what I know for now.

The OEM polaris kit is $400 and it includes full length aluminum rails, and you get to use 136" hifax. Now it comes down to money.. Alaskangold, I am in the same boat, trying to figure out if I want to put some money into this sled now, or buy a new RMK/SKS next year and hand this sled down (up?) to my wife.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:17 AM   #5
AlaskanGold

Send a message via Yahoo to AlaskanGold

Yeah I decided to bag the long track conversion, I think I can find better ways to mod my sled with the 700 bucks! I figure since I do an equal amount of mountain and trail riding that I'll just get a sled for both occasions!!!! That way like you said, if the wife decides one day she want's to ride(won't happen!) we both can have a sled to enjoy!
AlaskanGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:47 AM   #6
UPrider

Lightbulb

Well, I think I made up my mind.. I agree with you completely AlaskanGold, There are alot more ways I would rather spend 700 bucks on my sled, like a big bore kit, etc, but the problem is my track is pretty much junk, and I figured that if I was going to spend the money anyways, I might as well spend it on an improvement that would make a big difference in my sled, ie a long track, but, after some thinking, I decided to go with a 121" track with taller lugs, and save the extra $$ for that big bore, or a new ride. As for my wife, this is her "trial" year into snowmobiling. I got her an XLT with a seized crank this summer, and after swapping out with some parts (like a new motor) that I had in stock, she now has a ride with minimal investment on my part. We'll see how she likes it
Old 10-06-2002, 09:01 PM   #7
UNCLEBUCK

Primary Sled: 01 700 xcsp ves

UP,you emailed me for a pic of the edge w/a slp rail extention,so here it is,also when you see the pic you can see that you dont need hifax all the way to the end,anyhow,if you have any questions let me know,good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010022.JPG (83.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-06-2002, 09:18 PM   #8
UPrider

Lightbulb

Oh man, just when I thought I had made up my mind then you post a pic, and set me all into turmoil again. I'm sure I will be wishy washy about this until the snow flies. There is a snowshow in Green Bay in November, I will be looking for a track then, so that is probably when I will finally make up my mind

Thanks for the pick UBuck, it looks great. What lug height does he have on it?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:59 AM   #9
UNCLEBUCK

Primary Sled: 01 700 xcsp ves

Sorry about any turmoil in your life! he runs a 1.25",good luck SWRules
Old 10-10-2002, 04:35 PM   #10
Henrik from Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to Henrik from Sweden

Hey..What about the coolers? Will they clear a 2" track? Won't they hit the lugs? Does anyone have the meassuerements for the stock XC coolers used on a '99-'00 XC???
Henrik from Sweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement