97 Polaris Xlt Xtra 12 Suspension - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > HIGH TECH DISCUSSION FOR THE PERFORMANCE TUNER > SUSPENSION/CHASSIS SETUP AND MODIFICATIONS

Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
jmor357706

Mileage: 500
Primary Sled: POLARIS XC SP 500
Where I sled: NEW YORK

I am posting this for my boyfriend, my terminology may be rough but I will do my best.

1997 Polaris XLT 600 Limited- Xtra 12 Suspension

When you put weight on the tail end of this sled, the sled will not travel back up, or spring in the up position. You have to almost pull the tail end back up in the air. There are multiple pic marks in the tunnel, meaning it is bottoming out. The sled is not driven aggressively, mostly on groomed trails.

The sled has 4k miles on it, and is a runner. He wants to spend the least ammt of cash to either fix it himself or have someone else repair it.

Where is the best place to start, and is the repair feasible for a do it yourselfer, who is very able and mechanical?

Shocks and coils?
Torsion springs?
Other stuff??

Any help is certainly appreciated!

Thx Jill

jmor357706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
michahicks

Have him pull the suspension out from under the sled entirely. It's well worth the trouble. That's the only way it can be properly inspected, cleaned, and lubed. Make sure there are no parts that are binding due to corrosion or other lack of maintenence. Don't let somebody start guessing about what parts need to be replaced until this work has been done. There's a very good chance this is all it needs.

After that, make sure that the suspension is set up correctly for how it's being used. Most sleds have some direction under the hood somewhere to get him into the ball park. Good luck....

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Scott S

Primary Sled: 03 ZR 900
Where I sled: St Mary's, Elgin, Listowel, Dornoch.

Something quick to look at that is notorious on the x-tra 12 is the spring slides. Lift the torsion springs out of the slide blocks at the front and look to see if the plastic is wore through. They wear into the metal and cause that exact symptom. Quick to check.

They typically need to be replaced every few thousand.

Scott

Lead by example, it all begins with you!
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
timespentsearching

Mileage: 1300
Primary Sled: 03 pro xr 440, 04 pro xr 660
Where I sled: Nevis, Minnesota

i think the springs and shocks in the rear are shot. had the some thing happen to my dad's XLT. take the suspension off repalce the springs for sure and get the shock rebuilt it is shot (or buy a new one but rebuild is cheaper)
Old 10-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
jmor357706

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. I will forward the advise along!!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
jmor357706

Quote:
i think the springs and shocks in the rear are shot. had the some thing happen to my dad's XLT. take the suspension off repalce the springs for sure and get the shock rebuilt it is shot (or buy a new one but rebuild is cheaper)
[/b]

And the answer is, torsion springs, 2 rear shocks and the coil overs. You are the winner! Ended up bring it to the dealer for the repair. Sled is in too good of shape, not to spend the $$$$. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement