Recoil Starter Wont Rewind - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 12-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
indigoblue

I have a 1970something ski doo snowmobile with a rotax 2 cyl motor and the recoil starter wont rewind like its supposed too, i have it apart and have lubercated it but it seems the spring isnt strong enough to rewind it, is there a way to get to the spring inside, or a way to put more tension on it? thanks in adavaned for any help.
indigoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
rvanderklok

To get to the spring, you have to take apart the whole recoil. You'll need a set of circlip pliers to remove the circlip which holds it all together. Once inside, SOMETIMES you can simply grab the end of the spring with a screwdriver and spin it tight again. Alot of times, the spring gets weak due to too short of a pull cord, causing the spring to sit partially unwound for a prolonged period of time. Worst case scenario, the spring is simply too weak, or broken, and you can go to your local Doo dealer and buy a new spring for cheap. The dealers usually stock the recoil springs, so I doubt you'll have to order one and wait.
rvanderklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
indigoblue

iv looked it over real good, and i still cant seem to find the circlip u speek of? is there anyway u can describe wear it is, i appreciate ur help very much as i am trying to get the snowmoble running by today!!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
rvanderklok

It should be right on the outside of the "guts" holding everything in place on the spline. However, maybe yours is just held on by a bolt. Year and sled model/engine size would help narrow things down a bit.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
indigoblue

I already had all of that off, i just couldnt figure out how to get the pully out, turns out u just have to pull hard, anways, i got it out and would the spring up more, but once i put the graber and everything back on it still wont rewind right, but it does fine with all that off, can anyone tell what order the parts go on, because something isnt right, does anyone know wear i can find a breakdown of the starter or a diagram?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
rvanderklok

Will this help?
http://www.ultralightnews.ca/recoil/images/recoil.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement