Adjusting Rear Suspension On Srx - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > YAMAHA

Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Yamidude59

Mileage: TBA
Primary Sled: 2001 srx700
Where I sled: Jackson, Wisconsin

i want to stiffen up the rear suspension a little bit.... i see on the rear springs there is a collar that can be screw down ont he spring, do i just screw that down more towards the spring to tighten it? is there a down fall to tightening my suspension? right now there isn't much flex when i sit on it maybe an inch or two, how much travel total does the rear suspenion have on an 01 srx 700? is it even worth tightening or do i want some flex when i sit on it? (238.5Lbs) just weighed in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH9fpBzJpM
Yamidude59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
JesseC

Mileage: 1000km
Primary Sled: Yamaha Vmax
Where I sled: Northern Ontario

I have a yamaha vmax 700 triple and assuming the rear suspension is basically the same...there should be these collars like you said below your springs...it should have notches for whats called a preload wrench ($10-$15 give or take)... On the bottom of the collar (the part not against the spring) there should be a staircase type thing...the higher the collar sits on that...the sitffer it is...sorry its really hard to explain how these things work/look without pictures. If you weigh 238lbs you want your sled closer to stiff otherwise if its on soft, you'll compress all your travel...Im 180lbs and on soft mine compresses quite a bit. However, too hard and it will not absorb bumps...your best bet is to experiment with different setting and find what you like best.
JesseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Yamidude59

IT maybe goes down an inch when i sit ( bad? yes no?), how much travel do these suspensions have? 9 inches? give or take?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
8vo fan

Mileage: 0miles
Primary Sled: '87 phazer
Where I sled: mid-west michigan

It depends on wether you want a firmer ride or a softer ride. tighten up the spring and you will have a firmer ride. If you are bottoming the suspension then you need to tighten it a little.
'2000 SX600r
'95 zr 580
8vo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
GeorgeSima

Mileage: 500
Primary Sled: Yamaha SRX--Yamaha v-max 700
Where I sled: VT, MI

Quote:
i want to stiffen up the rear suspension a little bit.... i see on the rear springs there is a collar that can be screw down ont he spring, do i just screw that down more towards the spring to tighten it? is there a down fall to tightening my suspension? right now there isn't much flex when i sit on it maybe an inch or two, how much travel total does the rear suspenion have on an 01 srx 700? is it even worth tightening or do i want some flex when i sit on it? (238.5Lbs) just weighed in [/b]
Just like my sled you have two lock nuts on your shock. Other v-max models have a step like adjuster on the shock but the srx has these lock nuts. Just back off the top or upper nut and then with an adjuster tool tighten the lower one only an inch or two at a time and then test ride it. If your suspension is bottoming out when you hit a bump, then tighen the small front shock on the rear suspension, if the suspension is just sinking when you sit on it tighten up the Big shock.
GeorgeSima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Yamidude59

ok thanks for the input guys, good to go, it was good where it was set, was just curious.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
99YaMaHa6oo

Primary Sled: 99 yamaha 600 triple sx
Where I sled: everywere and anywere
Default suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
I have a yamaha vmax 700 triple and assuming the rear suspension is basically the same...there should be these collars like you said below your springs...it should have notches for whats called a preload wrench ($10-$15 give or take)... On the bottom of the collar (the part not against the spring) there should be a staircase type thing...the higher the collar sits on that...the sitffer it is...sorry its really hard to explain how these things work/look without pictures. If you weigh 238lbs you want your sled closer to stiff otherwise if its on soft, you'll compress all your travel...Im 180lbs and on soft mine compresses quite a bit. However, too hard and it will not absorb bumps...your best bet is to experiment with different setting and find what you like best.
I just put a 3 1/2 lift brackets on my 99 vmax 600sx, and it seems like it is rubing in the front, only when I try to give it a bit, mabe 1/2 throttle, it has good hight from the top of the tunnel. Im 225lbs,
I have a 1.25 track on there, the straps look like they are loosened all the way, and both shocks are at aprox half way, the two rods, with adjusters on them, in back outter suspension are loose to, (by hand),
i didnt put drop brackets on the front of suspension, just the rear.
I ditch bang, not a trail rider.
how do I fix this problem, is it the track size, or anything i have mentioned here??
Thanks for any suggestions
99YaMaHa6oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement