Yamaha RX1 good ridding/handleing sled? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > GENERAL SNOWMOBILING

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Muski

Default Yamaha RX1 good ridding/handleing sled?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have always owned Polaris and never even drove a Yamaha.
I sold my sleds a few years ago (2005 Polaris 700 Classic touring 2-ups) To start up a small Business, I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Yamaha RX-1 it is well cared for and has 3500 miles on it for $3000 but don't want to do it with out a few questions answered.
Please try to put brand loyalty aside and if you are just going to post to rip on one brand or another please don't, I have only a few days to decide and I would appreciate all the pros and cons of this sled that are factual to help make an informed decision.
Here some info on myself that should be taken into consideration I'm 47
We like to ride 100-250 miles per ride 1-2 times a week (trails willing)
I love the 0-60 mph performance of snowmobiles. I don't like to ride to wild but I like to have some fun when condition permit, I'm not one to hold it open across the lake, but it's fun to have it there if wanted.
I have a prosthetic leg (above the knee) so I have to have a sled that I can ride without allot of body English, I can't let my knees take up the bumps and have to ride seated, so my back ends up taking the hits.
The sled needs to turn with out much help from me shifting my weight from side to side. It would be great to still ride some what aggressive but still stay seated.
Will this sled work for me?
Any true help would be welcome
Thanks
Muski
Muski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Auggie2612

Primary Sled: 04 Arctic Cat F7
Where I sled: Tughill and Lebanon Pa of course..
Send a message via Yahoo to Auggie2612

Muski from what i read from your post, you will love the RX-1.. Like you said about being brand loyal I am a cat person, but a friend rides a RX.. I'm thinking the 03's had some sort of problem being the first year sled.. Just slip's my mind at the moment what it was.. Not thinking anything major because he rode a 03 and since bought a 05.. I'll ask him in the morning and i'll post what he tells me.. But in your situation, sounds like the perfect sled for you.. Plus no more mixing or adding oil..
Auggie2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
2000sxr600

Mileage: 10000
Primary Sled: 2004 ski-doo mxz 600
Where I sled: northern nh maine canada

my dad has an 05 rs vector which is the same chassis i personally found the sled top heavy and tippy. but the four stroke has a lot of torque and is a fun sled. the 03s are heavy. if i were you i might look for one a few years newer they dropped a lot of weight each year
2000sxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Bullet69

Mileage: 100
Where I sled: Minnesota, N.Wisconsin, & the U.P.

I have an 05 RX-1 and I love it. Yes their a little heavy, but on the trail I think it's fine. The motor is great. The 4-stroke has unbelievable torque. I was a Cat guy for 20yrs and never rode a Yamaha until I bought my RX-1 & Vector, and it would be hard to go back. Not to plug other sites but if you look at www.totallyamaha.com there is a ton of people that are still riding 03's with 10,000-15,000 miles on them without a problem.
Bullet69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Muski

Thank you for your replies I look forward to more input.
Did this sled come with reverse, or is it even an option, also did they make a two up, the track seemed long but I forgot to ask or look for reverse, I was to mesmerized by the sound of this sled running wow! It sounds sweet!
Muski
Muski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
michahicks

From a Polaris junkie's standpoint, I don't think you'r going to like the rear suspension unless there have been major mods to the one that came under it originally - like replacing it completely - and that happens more often than you think. For whatever reason, Yammi refuses to leave the dark ages when it comes to suspension design/callibration. The 03/04 RX-1's are both this way. The '05 is the first with the Mono. Guys that are looking for top suspension performance with the Mono are sending the shock out for recalibration and having "big boy" springs installed if over 190-200lb. Once this has been done, the ride is on par, maybe even superior to that available with the M-10

On the plus side, they do have a motor and drive train to die for. The clutching and carberation are perfectly calibrated. That's what motivated me to do what I did. (See signature/avatar)

Most sleds have reverse, but it wasn't standard so it's a fair question to ask. FWIW
'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Bullet69

Mileage: 100
Where I sled: Minnesota, N.Wisconsin, & the U.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a prosthetic leg (above the knee) so I have to have a sled that I can ride without allot of body English, I can't let my knees take up the bumps and have to ride seated, so my back ends up taking the hits.
The sled needs to turn with out much help from me shifting my weight from side to side. It would be great to still ride some what aggressive but still stay seated.
Will this sled work for me?
Any true help would be welcome
Thanks

Muski

I know it's not the same but, on www.totallyamaha.com there is a guy by the name of "Rightarm" who rides the 03 RX-1 without a prosthetic leftarm. If your used to riding with a prosthetic leg, than in my opinion I would say that it's not going to be anymore difficult to ride than anyother sled.
Bullet69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
truth2ak

Default My 2 cents

The first machine I purchased was an 05 RX-1. My second was an 07 Attak.

From my experience is from those locally that have an 03' or an 04' they made quite a bit progress from the 03' to the 05'

There was a lot of things I liked like 4 stroke mpg, dependability, etc but there were quite a few things I didn't like but they might not affect you.

It took me about 16 spark plugs and 1.5 seasons to get used to the choke as the machines are very high Performance and somewhat tempremental when it comes with the startup. I also didn't like the 121 track as if I did get off trail or if the snow on the trail wasn't just right. Also it does make a difference in the way it handles the bumps. I did get a conversion kit and converted my sled from a 121 to a 136 and it did make a difference in the comfort of the ride without affecting the handling too much.

In my opinion however if you can find a used Attak GT they made many improvements since the RX-1 series. A little lighter, better ride and easier to steer to name a few.
truth2ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
spikegary

Mileage: 1819
Primary Sled: 2007Yamaha Attak
Where I sled: Western New York
Send a message via AIM to spikegary

I had an 03 RX-1. You'll love it. To make sure you resolve handling issues, I went with 8" carbides, backed off the spring ring on the front shocks and pulle up the limiter straps by about 2.5 turns-put a little more weight on the nose-did away with the light/tippiness. You'll love the mileage and the acceleration. I replaced the original Commando Track with a Ripsaw Track, no studs. Also, make sure it has the retro-fit saw bar extension links-if not on there, go ahead and put them on.

I traded the sled in 2007 for an Attak, but next sled I think I'll go back to the 121". More fun.

I never had a choke problem, thesled had it's original plugs still in it when I traded it. Original belt, and the only thing I ever put in was a quart of oil at the end of a very long season.
If it had wings they'd call it a jet
http://www.snochiefs.com

Last edited by spikegary; 11-04-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more info
spikegary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
michahicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikegary View Post
I had an 03 RX-1. You'll love it. To make sure you resolve handling issues, I went with 8" carbides, backed off the spring ring on the front shocks and pulle up the limiter straps by about 2.5 turns-put a little more weight on the nose-did away with the light/tippiness. You'll love the mileage and the acceleration. I replaced the original Commando Track with a Ripsaw Track, no studs. Also, make sure it has the retro-fit saw bar extension links-if not on there, go ahead and put them on.

I traded the sled in 2007 for an Attak, but next sled I think I'll go back to the 121". More fun.

I never had a choke problem, thesled had it's original plugs still in it when I traded it. Original belt, and the only thing I ever put in was a quart of oil at the end of a very long season.
I'm with you on the 121 vs. 136 "fun" factor, think studs are for rookies but wanted to ask you a question. Would you put the '03-04 suspension on par with your Attak? Maybe there was somethng wrong with the one I rode, but I wouldn't even put them in the same ball park. FWIW
'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement