Old Gas - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > GENERAL SNOWMOBILING

Old 11-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Travis04

Default Old Gas

Hey, we have 2 sleds, both 06, 600 classics. As stupid as this may sound, last summer we forgot to stabalize the gas and prepare it for the summer months. We stored them in the garage and we were going to "summerize" them but never got around to it. Anyways, its too late now; so we started them up the past few days. The first one started up and sounded really good, was running great. Moved it out of the garage and parked it. Started the 2nd one and ran for about a minute and died. It refused to start again after trying to start it over and over. Eventually we dragged it out, tried starting it again later on and still no luck. We added some "fresher gas" to the tank and still no luck. Tried pouring some octane booster and still no luck. So eventually I siphend the gas out (I got as much out as I could, but there was likely a little bit of gas left on the bottom of the tank.) I poured in fresher gas from the jerry can that we fill the riding lawn mower up with and went to start the sled. No luck again. It just won't fire.

Are there any treatments to put in the tank to help cure this? If so, what are there, and where can I get it. Also, I'm pretty sure this would be the reason for the sled not starting, but maybe it's something else? Anyways, get back to me whenever you can. Thanks for your time.
Travis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
TommyBoy68

Mileage: 315
Primary Sled: ...scares me sometimes!! ;)
Where I sled: MN mostly

I have been in the same situation as you before, and probably will be again. While it's not ideal, I have started mine on 'last years' gas in the past.

Do you have a fuel shutoff switch on the sled? I fought with mine once,a nd finally realized after my arm was about to fall off, that I had the fuel shutoff turned. They happen to go in opposite directions on my 2 sleds, and I wasn't paying close enough attention since my wife was already out ripping it up on her sled.

IMO, it seems really odd that just one summer of sitting would totally clog up any carbs or such. I have a different friend who never does anything to summerize his '96, and it always starts up on the old gas.

Maybe verify any safety tether/kill switch is functional? Good Luck!
'99 Polaris XC 500 SP
Wife's machine
TommyBoy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Travis04

Well the sled did start for about a minute the first time I tried to run it, therefor the kill switch is definately not it, and I checked that many times, and if the fuel switch is the problem, there should of been no fuel to start it initially. Cause the first time I ran it, it ran for a minute and died, and after that it wouldn't start.. So I'm really thinking it is the gas in it.. even though I siphend 90% of the old gas out later on. I even put new spark plugs in, and it still had no luck.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
retiredpop

Mileage: 35,000 miles +
Primary Sled: 2010 RMK600
Where I sled: AB, BC, MT

Drain the float bowls and then let the "new" gas fill the carbs. You may want to pour a small amount of fresh gas into each cylinder just to lessen the amount of pulling to get it to fire up. Don't put in much more than an oz. or you will flood it. You might have to prime it a few times before it runs on its own. The old/new mixture in the tank should be fine. On the other sled drain all the old gas from the tank and throw it in your truck.
retiredpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
citationls

Mileage: 735
Primary Sled: 1996 Skidoo Formula SLS
Where I sled: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to citationls

ya i would do what retiredpop said to do. clean the carbs out. just take them apart and spray all the holes u can find with wd40. or try spraying starter fluid in the airbox, then carb cleaner to clean it out once its running.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Current Sleds:
1996 Formula SLS
1989 Jag 440 AFS
1986 Citation LS

Previous Sleds:
1972 Olympique
citationls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Travis04

Ok thanks for the replies. As I don't know too much about sleds, I don't quite know what a float bowl is. Just try to explain the best you can on how I should do it. Lastly, the sled is electric start so I won't get tired from pulling.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
retiredpop

At the bottom of each carb you should see a drain plug (#11 in image). Undo that and let the gas drain out of the carb
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
TommyBoy68

Mileage: 315
Primary Sled: ...scares me sometimes!! ;)
Where I sled: MN mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis04 View Post
if the fuel switch is the problem, there should of been no fuel to start it initially. Cause the first time I ran it, it ran for a minute and died, and after that it wouldn't start
It might have run on just the little bit of fuel that was in the carb. The float bowl is inside the carburetor and hold the fuel just before it is injected thru the jets. Only holds enough gas to run the engine for a short while. That's why I was thinking that, once it started the first time, but won't again, that the supply in the float bowl has been used up. The fuel shutoff is NOT an instantaneous 'stop', but the engine will continue to run as long as it can suck in some fuel.

You should have a short hose with a plug on the end, that hangs from the bottom of your carburetors. If you find soething like that, it is the drain tube from the float bowl. This is typically down beneath the air box, between it and the engine block. I think these hoses are typically around 3/8" diameter. At least on mine that's how they look. Granted that your machine is a lot newer than what I'm used to working on.

As mentioned, a small amount of gas directly into the cylinder may help it fire initally. Pull the spark plugs, and dribble a little fresh gas down there. Replace plugs and try to start. I hope one of these fixes helps you out.
'99 Polaris XC 500 SP
Wife's machine
TommyBoy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
retiredpop

As Tommyboy said, there would have been enough fuel in the float bowls to allow the sled to run for a bit until the bowls emptied. Are you sure the fuel switch is not turned off? Check it against the other sled to make sure it is in the same position.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Travis04

Haha after days of not knowing why, I figured it out with your help of course. It was the fuel valve. I just avoided checking it because noone touched it last year or this year. But then I remembered.. just before summer started we took the sled into the shop: and they must of turned it off when we took the sled home. It must of had enough gas to get it into the garage for the summer and to start for a minute this year. Now that's all figured out, the future I'm going to try to think of the small details such as this so things like this don't happen again. Sorry for taking your time, appreciate your help and thanks for solving the problem Happy Riding!

Travis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement