What is the best new sled to buy? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > GENERAL SNOWMOBILING

Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
jerryl_16

Primary Sled: 2004 Arctic Cat F7 EFI Snow Pro
Where I sled: MICHIGAN UP
Send a message via Yahoo to jerryl_16
Default What is the best new sled to buy?

Thinking of buying a new sled, I have a 2004 arctic cat f7 and want to update and get a faster one. I am considering all types of sleds. I do a lot of trail riding with the occasional drag racing with my buddy. What do you think is the best for me?
jerryl_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
zeek987

Primary Sled: 2007 MXZ Rev 800 ho

I hate to say it, but you have probably the right one now. The only sled that might beat it (it's 50/50) is the ski doo 800. Now I am talking about trail models here, for all out top end Arctic Cat 1000, but as far as trail riding, ditch banging, and lakes, the ski doo 800. My buddy has the Sno Pro F7 and its the only sled to give me any trouble, on top end I leave him in the dust, low end all depends on the holeshot you is faster. A ski doo X package will be the best comparison to your F7, but with more top end, and better rider forward position.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Wyelde

The new Ski-Doos with the E-Tec engine are pretty amazing. Unbelievable gas mileage and low oil use. Fast, great ride, and very agile.
Wyelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
colin88a

Primary Sled: Grand Touring 500F 2002
Where I sled: Labrador City NL

Ya i think the best new sled is the e-tec currently the 600 is plenty onless you need big hp for hill climbing but i always find the 600 do everything perfect accept big hill at elevation or just straight out going fast. This new e-tec seems like its pretty good with gas milage, spark plugs, good on oil, dont need elec start cause one start pull, a bit lighter then the 800 and a bit cheaper. not by much though. Also you wont be getting something that there is going to be a replacment engine in a year cause its relatievly new but been proven in the boating industries so shouldnt be any issues. It just seems good and then with the xp chassis its sweet your biggest question should be what type of riding am i going to do to find out if you want a mxz, renegade, summit, gsx or whatever. I hope you get a good sled and you should look into the e-tec i no i would.
colin88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
zeek987

Primary Sled: 2007 MXZ Rev 800 ho

An e-tech...no way, he's on a F7 right now and wants to go faster, not slower. You have to read what he is looking for, and a 600 isn't it. besides, why would you buy a 600???? I like being a leader not a follower, i hate waiting for people to catch up, and I'm sure he doesn't either
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
sledbuttrob

Primary Sled: 2001 SRX
Where I sled: Palmerston

Careful what you say about the etec 600. I've been riding with one this year. These things are quick and have top end. I don't know what the exact top end is, but it easily breaks 100mph. I ride an SRX 700. This thing is a rocket, but not compared to the etec. Remember that XP chassis is extremely light. In most snow conditions it will out accelerate sleds with a lot more HP.
sledbuttrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
BenHD

Primary Sled: 98 Indy 500 Classic 2up
Where I sled: So Western NH
Default e-tec 600

Looking into getting an e-tec in the off season. The 600 renegade, all around sled, plus can add 2nd seat for when needed. I currently ride a 670 mxz and they say this 600 e-tec will beat it in all conditions. My old 670 is right with the 600 & 700's a few years newer. But if speed is your greatest concern, go with the 800...only thing touching that on the lakes is the big boys, but you will smoke them on the trails...really like the renegades over the adrenalines...and I've seen 08 800 renegades left overs for under 8K
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Rick K
Lifetime Premium

Mileage: kms 3,530
Primary Sled: 09 Nytro XTX/ 08 Nytro 40th RTX FX/ 07/Phazer FX
Where I sled: Manitoba

look at the XTX Yamaha they might not be for you but then again it might be....they are for us ....I'm so happy with them I'm buying another one in 2010...and in the states you get 4 years bumper to bumper and you can transfer it when you sell it ...and they don't charge you anything like ski doo does...just my thoughts...enjoy what ever you do ...

Rick
08 2500 Duramax GMC Z71 4x4
08 Enclosed Renegade Trailer
06 Grizzly 660 4x4
07 Kodiak 4x4
Life is great in a Union

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting
some kind of battle"

May the best of your past be the worst of your future....
Rick K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
sledbuttrob

Primary Sled: 2001 SRX
Where I sled: Palmerston

Rick,

What is the Yamaha warranty in Canada? 4 year bumper to bumper is amazing. I have 3 SRX's which I love, but the reliability went down the toilet this year. Have had every problem known to mankind on all 3 sleds this year. Worst part is I spent at least 8 hours on each sled doing PM before the season. Not one issue related to PM.

Any work our there in Manitoba? Ontario is dead and I am looking.

Rob
sledbuttrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
OFFSHORE GINGER

Primary Sled: DOO
Where I sled: Mich
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryl_16 View Post
Thinking of buying a new sled, I have a 2004 arctic cat f7 and want to update and get a faster one. I am considering all types of sleds. I do a lot of trail riding with the occasional drag racing with my buddy. What do you think is the best for me?
I am also thinking of two new sleds for next year one will be for the wife which will be either a MXZ TRAIL 500SS -weight #415 or a MXZ-TNT -which only weighs # 399 lb's very whippy and i am thinking of a MXZ- TNT 600 HO weight 415 lb's 120 -HP or a MXZ trail that weighs around #430 - with a 600 120 - HP . Jerryl good luck on your choice and so many different sleds to choose from . Jerryl i also live in Mich and what a great winter we have had .
OFFSHORE GINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement