1998 mxz 500 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 01-26-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
safari377

what do you think of them? *Do you know if anyone who has every raced one? *Whats the H.P. rating? Do you know of any known problems with these sleds? *Today i looked at one at a dealer, it had 1700 hundreds on it, and it was in beautiful shape. *Im planning on maybe racing it. *Also whats the top speed of them? *Thanks Dan
safari377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2002, 07:50 PM   #2
slarson

Where I sled: Aroostook County Maine

Nice zippy sled, about 85-90 Hp?? about 90-95 top speed on speedo. Reliable sleds.
slarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:19 PM   #3
mxz7

Primary Sled: 05 MXZX 600 SDI ~Black~
Where I sled: Wisconsin and da U.P.
Send a message via MSN to mxz7

Wife has a 99 FZ 500.Same engine as the MXZ.Very reliable,but when it comes to handling,the s2000 chassis just doesn't do it for me.I have had 2 ZX chassis sleds and they rock my world.Not to cut down the s2000(I'm sure the MXZ handles much better than the Formula Z)but if you ride all day on a ZX and hop on the s2000,you will want to hop back on the ZX.Maybe look for a 00 MXZ 500.I put 3000 miles on mine with no probs.And the series 3 500 engine totally rocks. I had an old 86 safari 377,it was cool.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
dooman
journeyman sled/motorhead

Mileage: 282
Primary Sled: 06 renegade 800 HO
Where I sled: Irons michigan,or where there is snow
Send a message via Yahoo to dooman

slarson is correct,stock around 90hp.had one great sled ,sold it because I bought/ rode a zx chassis and would never go back.they had some with crank problems(mine was bad at 230 miles),and clutching was off on some as well as carb settings and rave springs,that should have been updated by now. when I got rid of it last year it had 2300 miles on it with no other problems.after the first 230 miles my dealer had it dialed in pretty good.there are some good bolt-ons for the sled to make it even quicker.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
mxz500

Thumbs up

Snow goer dynoed the 500 cc exhaust valve twin at 94 horsepower when it came out. *Nice running sled, it can do about 90-95 mph on the speedo on good trail condition, although I did see 100 mph every now and again on the very hard packed stuff and ice. *A properly clutched one like I have will give the zr/zl 500's a good run for their money. *Yes the s2000 chassis can be a little rolly in the turns, but if you lean your rear of the seat like an oval racer there aren't many sleds that can loose you in the twisty's.
Advertisement