Polaris Chain case oil - problem?? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
craigmichaud

Exclamation Polaris Chain case oil - problem??

New question, On our new (used) Polaris sleds 600 & 700 xc - I wanted to check the chain case oil so I pulled the dipstick and found a ton of crap on the stick, looks like black mud with metal filings in it! Checked the other sled- same thing! I decided to go to the shop where I bought them and checked a bunch of sleds and found the same crap! Should I flush them out some how? I was thinking of maybe filling with ATF and flushing it by running them elevated for a few minutes then draining and refilling with what ever oil they use - any input on this would be awesome as I would like to service them tomorrow- thanks in advance for your help.
craigmichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
CABBAGE

Default Nothing wrong here!!!!

Well young man you must be new to snowmobiling,'cause the issue you have is not to worry about. If you understand whats going on behind that cover you would know that all that grey/black stuff is wear from the sprockets and chain.Something has to come off and it will be metal as why they put a magnet on the end of the dipstick!This will always go on as they wear, you just do your regular chaincase oil changes beginning of the season and you'll have no issues,just DO NOT over tighten the cahin!!!!!! Have fun....
CABBAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
craigmichaud

Thanks and yes I'm new at this. Should I warm the sled up prior to draining it ?do people flush them? I'd imagine the track needs to spin for the chain case to warm up. The sled is a 1999 700 XC SP. 2 cyl no exhaust valve , liquid cooled.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
mmgg

Mileage: 850miles in 10/11
Primary Sled: 600 polaris
Where I sled: 300 miles around thunder bay

I usually don't bother warming it up ,if you don't have a heated garage; just change the oil again in 50 miles.
I usually wipe clean the magnet every few rides.
mmgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
dlaine

Primary Sled: 08 Renegade 600, 87 El Tigre
Where I sled: MN, MT

If you start seeing bigger 'chunks' that are stuck to the magnet then open up the case and take a look to see what is going on. Little filings (small slivers and a gooey substance) is normal.

If the chain is too tight you will wear the chain/sprockets prematurely. If the chain is too loose it will 'clunk' when you start and eventually snap the chain if you hit it too hard. You have to get the chain tension right. I don't know about polaris specifically, but usually hand-tighten the tensioner then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Don't worry about flushing or warming up - drain and refill. Good maintenance is to take the cover off once and year anyway to check it out. When chain deflection (how far does the chain bend sideways) is over 1.5"-2" it is time for a new chain. Can't check that without taking it apart...

Good luck!
dave
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
craigmichaud

Thanks Dave, hoping the covers are simple to remove, going to give it a shot today
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
dlaine

Primary Sled: 08 Renegade 600, 87 El Tigre
Where I sled: MN, MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmichaud View Post
Thanks Dave, hoping the covers are simple to remove, going to give it a shot today
If there is no mechanical reverse it is dead simple - two gears, a chain and a tensioner.

With mechanical reverse it is still simple to take the cover off - not so simple to take the rest apart...

Electronic reverse on 2 strokes has to be one of the top ten coolest inventions of all time!!

dave
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
craigmichaud

Flushed both 3 times with ATF - filled to full line with poo oil ( the blue stuff) thinking all is well.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Shawn420

Primary Sled: 2001 RMK 800 153 track, new engine with 0 miles!
Where I sled: Kootenays

you didnt put 2stroke oil in the chain case did you? theres chaincase oil for the chain case, and its probably more like atf or gear lube, not the blue 2 stroke oil!!
Shawn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
craigmichaud

No I didn't. Went and got the correct oil at the Polaris dealer, it says synthetic chain case oil on it and it's crazy expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement