Stiffer Torsion Springs On 02 Zr 600 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > ARCTIC CAT

Old 01-01-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
LicknOutaTheCatsDish
Banned

Where I sled: From IN to the tip of UP
Send a message via ICQ to LicknOutaTheCatsDish

Last summer I installed a set of stiffer torsion (rear) springs on my 02 ZR 600, after riding about 300 miles they really don't feel much stiffer...remembering an article I read in SnoTech a couple months back they stated that many others found the std 02 ZR rear springs to be rather soft, especially for riders over 200 pounds which i am. The article stated to use Arctic Cat part numbers 1604-194 and 1604-195 for the stiffer springs...well the ones I bought an put on in summer were another number.
Anyway to make long story short i bought the ones stated above and installed them today...my question is: the ones I installed have a shorter arm than either the stock or the other ones I installed earlier in the summer and was wondering if anyone else have installed the part #'s above and if so, what hole in skid rail did they use to anchor the front spring arms, because the stock hole is to far forward. I used the hole that is directly below the center of that black idler wheel bracket that sits on the top of skid rail. I thought about a hole a litttle further forward, but didn't seem like it left enough
spring arm thru the plastic spring arm mount. It seems ok, but I had to shim out the spring arm mount with some washers as it sits right next ot that black metal bracket????????

If anyone has installed these, please reply and tell me where you anchored your spring arm mount
It seems alot stiffer than the others, which I think I'm gonna like.
Thanks in advance for any replies
LicknOutaTheCatsDish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 05:36 AM   #2
ZR Sled Head

Primary Sled: '02 ZR-900 cce
Where I sled: Ontario
Talking

I've now ridden just under 200 miles with the 194/195 (.460 wire at 90 deg.) rear springs/fresh shocks and flat out hate them, sled rides like a dump truck even with me weighing 225lbs. I'm going to go with a lighter spring than stock but with something in the 80 degree or less range. I'm thinking about the 1604-050/051 springs which are .437 wire at 83 deg. These are the stock 98-99-2000 stn ZR rear springs.
The stock 02 CCE springs are .452 wire at 90 deg.
Even with the 194/195 springs my sled sags badly on the back end, same as with the stock ones.
Let me know how you like yours.

Rick.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
700Rocket

I took the 194/195s out of my 1998 ZR440 and replaced them with 051/050. I apply about 215 lbs to the sled and these springs do the trick for me.

I installed the front and rear arm in the stock locations.

My book don't show the 2002 models so I am not sure what the offset is on your spring that came stock compaired to the new 050/051 that you want to try.

Overall I like the 050/051s that I have and I have had the sled off the ground (2-3 feet) and never bottomed out.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
LicknOutaTheCatsDish
Banned

where did you guys anchor the front arm of the springs, they were to short to go into the stock location? I put them back further in one of the other holes, actually a hole directly under that black bracket that mount on top of skid rail. I would have like to go a little further forward in another hole, but the next one up didn't seem to leave any of the spring arm out of the plactic anchoe mount.
Where did you guys anchor the front???????????

Thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
700Rocket

Just opened my latest issue of Snow Tech and guess what:

Sno Tech Jan/ Feb 2003 Issue page 8.

Correct ZR Torsion Spring Part Numbers

The part numbers listed on page 40 in the December Service and Tuning Notes for 2002 ZR firmer torsion springs are incorrect. The part numbers 1604-194 and 1604-195 are three inches too short for the 2002 suspention. The correct springs numbers are1604-146 and 1604-147. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. :blahblah:

Looks like you need to head back to the Arctic Cat store.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
ZR Sled Head

Primary Sled: '02 ZR-900 cce
Where I sled: Ontario
Talking

Something strange going on here, my sled has the 194/195 springs in it with the mount in the stock location. I checked the spring specs and the 146/147 spec out a .421 wire at 77 deg which would make them far lighter than the stock springs even with the 77 deg angle.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
LicknOutaTheCatsDish
Banned

That's fricking great after I have already put them on, their sincere apology keeps making my wallet lighter. Now this is going to be the 4th set of springs, not to mention the fun of pulling the skid again, all because the sled came with to light a spring to begin with. Oh well. maybe it's time to start looking at the other mgf's more seriously, this really pi**** me off.

I appreciate the update and the heads up.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
LicknOutaTheCatsDish
Banned

Now I'm lost...all I wanted is a stiffer rear suspension. Guess I'll never trust what Snow tech magazine has to say anymore, what a joke. Not a happy camper when I flush money down the toilet, not to mention the time that will be lost changing it all back to where it was before and still have to soft a suspension. this really bites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement