'99 Ford Superduty W/v10 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I know of a guy with a '99 Ford SuperDuty Xcab 4wd with the V10, that may be up for sale. I've never owned a Ford, so I don't really know what to look for in these trucks. I drove it a couple days ago, and it drove out pretty well, just a little clunking in the rearend, but not bad for 210,000 miles....that's right, 210k. The guy drives a lot for his job, but always keeps on top of the maintenance. He does tow things like Bobcats, and other misc. trailers. Did these trucks have any repeating issues? I don't really need a truck this big, but if I can get it cheap enough, it would definately provide a couple years of sled trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 07:55 PM

Hello, my husband is a Ford Truck technician,Here are some of the problems that he has dealt with.The V 10 have a tendance to blow spark plugs through the cylinder heads.Has it got the original motor?This destroys the cylinder head because you can't repair the threads in the head.Exhaust manifolds tend to snap the studs in the cylinder heads.Most of the time you have to change the heads.Pistons are noisy when starting cold sounds like a knocking noise if the noise goes away in 30 seconds to a minute this is considered normal.It can sound like a bottom end knock.Crawl up under the dash on the drivers side look on the backside of the fuse panel check for signs of any water damage.The windshields leak water on the GEM module and can cause major headaches.It will make the truck act very weird.Horns go odd for no reason,doors lock on there own and other odd occurences.Wheel bearings have needle bearings that seize to the front drive axle.Not sure about the rearend clunking could be anything.Hope this helps you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM

Hope you have a deep wallet for gas...At $2.10- $2.15 a gal now, it cost me $90 +/- to fill my 44 gal Suburban. :slick:

Do the Doo, Think of your children, Ride Safe and Sober

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to sleddinfool
I have been a ford tech for almost twenty years and yes catwoman is right on the water leaks etc.. (especially after windshiled replacement), I have only seen the plugs blow out that were not installed correctly (i.e. tune up). I have a 99 that does not get driven much now due to gas prices/child support etc.. but it has over 100,000 on it. The only reocurring problems I have are warped brake rotors (my driving) and the sway bar links on the front end, which there is a fix for but I haven't done it on my truck, which is a v-10 4x4 crew cab. Kevin

Ride safe, sober and on the right
09 crossfire "R" 1000
03 pantera 550
03 zr900 stock (yeah right)
00 zl600efi
many old sleds
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 11:08 PM

Im not sure if its true, but I heard frome someone that the ford v-10 was not very powerful. like i said not sure if it is true, I heard that a long time ago.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to sleddinfool
Oh yeah power-- no Problem pulls anything I ever asked it too. 3200 # trailer plus add all gear and four sleds no problem. I tow my 67 gtx and my 79 cj-7 all the time with no problem. I have never had a lack of power except when doin 85 or so with a heavy trailer and want to move out and pass somebody quickly. Kevin

Ride safe, sober and on the right
09 crossfire "R" 1000
03 pantera 550
03 zr900 stock (yeah right)
00 zl600efi
many old sleds
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your honest replies guys. I think you've helped decide to stay away from this truck. I hate water leaks, had one in a brand new '94 K Blazer that GM couldn't find for 2 yrs...they just kept replacing the carpet and padding 'til I ran out of warranty I was just considering this truck for a "knock-around/sledding" truck since it has so many miles on it, but I think I'll wait for one with fewer miles. Plus the owner is "upside down" in it, and I don't think he would accept what the truck is really worth.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 08:13 AM

I work at a Ford dealer in the parts department. catwoman pretty much sums up all the problems with the v10/ super duty. We also see a lot of ball joint sway bar links and front axle ujoint problems.IMO the 7.3 desiel is a much better engine. Just cant get the 4R100 transmissions to hold up behind the 7.3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 01:24 PM
journeyman sled/motorhead

Send a message via Yahoo to dooman
notorious for high fuel consumption.at todays fill up [email protected] 1.70 gallon, [email protected], [email protected] 2.14, at these prices it would not take long to pay for a cummins . figure that at .30 a gallon savings,or 9 dollars per tank.

"DREAM AS THOUGH YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS THOUGH YOU'RE GOING TO DIE TOMMORROW" JAMES DEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page