Tunnel Extension Vs. Buying Powder Sled - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I've had enough of this 121" track (3/4" lugs) for the deep, so I'm looking for opinions on whether I should convert my machine to at least 136 x 2 (as cheap as possible) or try to sell mine to buy a real powder sled.

I've been really happy with the reliability & performance of my machine, so I'm leaning toward setting this one up, but I'm not sure how the quality on the tunnel & rail ext. would be. Long term reliability is an issue as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

forgot to mention that I already have mountain cat skis. They were a huge improvement already.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 12:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to midnight screamer Send a message via Yahoo to midnight screamer
Do you ride powder all the time or do you do more trail riding? This is the question that will answer your question. If you do more powder it would be more feasible to sell your ZL.

98' MXZ 670...For Sale!
Ski Doo Citation...haven't found the year yet
1968 Polaris Mustang 372 J-LO Electric Start

Tow Rig: 97' Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L...far from stock! ---- R.I.P.

Proud member of the TRAIL HAWKS SNOWMOBILE CLUB; Eveleth, MN!

Stoney River Angus Farms

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowcatr@Jan 29 2004, 04:16 AM
I've been really happy with the reliability & performance of my machine, so I'm leaning toward setting this one up, but I'm not sure how the quality on the tunnel & rail ext. would be. Long term reliability is an issue as well.

If you do a quality job on the conversion you'll have a quality sled when you're done.
Use new rails instead of rail extensions, and you'll eliminate the weak point from many conversions. The Arctic Cat kit looks really slick when it's done. The only thing they leave you to figure out is a way to move your tail light back to the end of the tunnel so that your tunnel can be used for a rack. (I'd suggest using a taillight rubber mounted on you bumber like the one from the on the switchback)

Other suggestions; gear your sled down. You'll need to get down to somewthing like 21/40. Not sure of the exact ratio you'll be looking for, but you'll want your theoretical top speed to be about 95mph.
You'll need to play with your clutching. If you're playing in the snow with your machine now then you probably already know that clutching for the powder and the trail are not the same.
I'd go with a 1.5-1.75 inch track. You'll still have a nice ride on the trails, and it'll be very good off trail.

The ZL600 is a sweet sled, and if you really like it there's no need to get rid of it. You can have a dependable powder sled for about $1500CAN. Less if you can find a used track.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 03:35 PM

I would long track your current sled. I would like to do it to my 700 this summer, but to be honest with you, I'm having good luck in the powder with the 121" x 1.5" track as it is.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM

snowcatr, throw the extensoins on and with all the money you save versus buying new treat your self to an upgrade i.e. motor rebuild, chromally front end. Your sled will do fine with the extensions!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by superbee@Jan 30 2004, 05:53 PM
snowcatr, throw the extensoins on and with all the money you save versus buying new treat your self to an upgrade i.e. motor rebuild, chromally front end. Your sled will do fine with the extensions!
Decided on modding this sled...just need to figure out how...

I have to keep it cheap...used track, rail ext's, and I even though of skipping the tunnel extension for a while. BTW, I haven't found many aftermarket tunnel extensions. >>>Would it be best to get it from a dealer?

I did ask my local guy about the kit, but forget that....it was like $700! That must have been with new rails, track, etc. I should talk to him again about the tunnel ext *only. Does anyone know if they sell the tunnel ext solo and if so, how much?

post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Snow-Drift@Jan 30 2004, 03:35 PM
I would long track your current sled.* I would like to do it to my 700 this summer, but to be honest with you, I'm having good luck in the powder with the 121" x 1.5" track as it is.
I have considered a 121 x 2" track though. This would definitely make it cheaper and easier, but I think I'd like more float. Do you think you would benefit much with a larger footprint?....enough to spend the extra $$?

Also, are you having good luck climbing and in the very deep stuff?

We have ~42" base right now, so it's a long ways down if you're digging. I had to today a couple times.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by NewfieBullet@Jan 30 2004, 08:06 AM
If you do a quality job on the conversion you'll have a quality sled when you're done.
Use new rails instead of rail extensions, and you'll eliminate the weak point from many conversions. The Arctic Cat kit looks really slick when it's done. The only thing they leave you to figure out is a way to move your tail light back to the end of the tunnel so that your tunnel can be used for a rack. (I'd suggest using a taillight rubber mounted on you bumber like the one from the on the switchback)

Other suggestions; gear your sled down. You'll need to get down to somewthing like 21/40. Not sure of the exact ratio you'll be looking for, but you'll want your theoretical top speed to be about 95mph.
You'll need to play with your clutching. If you're playing in the snow with your machine now then you probably already know that clutching for the powder and the trail are not the same.
I'd go with a 1.5-1.75 inch track. You'll still have a nice ride on the trails, and it'll be very good off trail.

The ZL600 is a sweet sled, and if you really like it there's no need to get rid of it. You can have a dependable powder sled for about $1500CAN. Less if you can find a used track.
NewfieBullet, I appreciate the advice. I figr'd I'd have to monkey with the clutching as well, but not sure how yet.

I'm looking forward to having the extra room to carry stuff behind the seat and would like a nice looking ext., but I can't spend too much here.

Also, I'm not very concerned with trail performance these days. I have no desire to share the trails with all those clowns out there anymore. There's more fun to be had in the open spaces IMO. So, do yous still suggest a 1.5/1.75" lug?

I'm waiting on the used powder special (37" wide) front suspension to arrive now. This'll replace my current 41" stance, so that should take care of the front.

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowcatr@Feb 3 2004, 09:50 PM
I have considered a 121 x 2" track though. This would definitely make it cheaper and easier, but I think I'd like more float. Do you think you would benefit much with a larger footprint?....enough to spend the extra $$?

Also, are you having good luck climbing and in the very deep stuff?

We have ~42" base right now, so it's a long ways down if you're digging. I had to today a couple times.
Let's put it this way, 3 weeks ago I was riding double on the short track, my ZR700, through 2 foot of powder, possibly more. I was only at half throttle and doing about 30 mph, or therebouts. It floated fine. When I got on the thottle, it jumped up and just took off. I'm not saying long tracks are over rated, but I think there abilities with the right setup and a good powerplant are deffinately something to contend with and a decent ride in the deep. The guy I bought it from set it up for the deep. He only rode in the deep, and rode in a group that had another 121" 1.5" track and a 144" x 2" track. His story is, is that the guy with the 144" got stuck more than the others, not because he wasn't an inexperienced rider, as this guy had more powder experience than the others, but that because the 144" tracked sled weighed more, and because of the longer track, was more difficult to "throw" around, and it trenched more as well (again, this guy's story, not mine). From my experience, my 121" 700 does way better than my 133.5" 600. I believe this is due to lower weight and more horsepower, nothing to do with surface areas of the tracks. This is just my opinion of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page