Why Dont You Tip Over When Boondocking? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

i cant understand, you guys lean all the way to one side and the sled looks like it is gonna tip, but it dosent...i tried some off trail riding and i cant even boondock period...and when your on thos hills, how do you highmark without tipping? i dont wanna try that...last one- when you do a wheelie (or whatever you guys call it), what stops you from doing a total backflip? thanks for putting up with my stupidity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 06:33 PM

ok i cant awnser about the boondocking from experience but i will give it a shot because i got a pretty good idea...i think it has to do with the speed you are going and it propelling you like floating? kinda like plaining a boat out, you can turn sharper when up out of the water than if you are floating along and try to steer. as for the "wheelies" or as i like to call em' ski stands, it has to do with knowing your limits, kinda like a motorcycle, how do they do it w/o tipping over backwards? ballance and speed control is my guess.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:14 PM

I've wondered that too cuz I want to try it but i don't want the sled to fall on me and crush me.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:21 PM

It is all a matter of power and weight. Put you weight on one side of the sled and give it some power.You can control the amount of tip with either. You do end up checking out the bottom of your sled sometimes,but in deep powder, nothing hurt but pride.It is alot easier in a foot or more as the powder tends to hold the sled at a good angle.In high mark turning keep all your weight on the uphill side power around and get the heavy part of the sled pointing downhill[the front end].When in doubt on a steep hill just bury it and drag it around or roll it out.Lifting the skis is the same as drift_jockey says both in turning and lifting the skis it is a balance of power and weight.Practice on a clear area and check your carbides when your sled is on its side.Best thing to remember is ....get your butt OFF THE SEAT.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Doc what could you possibly know about this stuff you live in Flordia and watch birds! and ride a hopped up raskel!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:01 PM

but see from experience i know that its all about know your sled and your limits and also doing it quite abit helps to
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:11 PM

You mean like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big_John_and_Tetonice.jpg (38.7 KB, 517 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:42 PM

If you want to experiment with leaning your sled over without too much risk, find a field with at least 6-12 inches of fresh snow, put all your body weight to one side, then turn the skis outside of the turn (opposite the direction of the lean). You can practice this over and over until you get it right, and eventually you can hold one ski off the snow while going straight down a trail. This is good practice to get yourself out of a tight spot, particularly when you need to sidehill to get out of ravine.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 04:23 PM

I ride in Colorado and used to live in Wisconisin where the snow is much more shallow. When you ride in snow that has a six foot base and about two feet of fresh powder on top, it becomes the only real way to stear the machine. It becomes much like riding a jetski...when you lean the machine will start to tip and to counter you turn the skis the opposite direction which with throttle and momentum pulls the sled forward instead of tipping over. I have come to be very spoiled in the deep snow and hardly ever ride on the trails anymore. While high marking the trick is to know when you are as high as you can get and still have enough momentum to make the turn...i ride sometimes too aggresively and and if you make a mistake it can be very dangerous. while learning this lesson in 2002, i rolled a '98 zr 600 at least 70 times, at the peak of the high mark i turned to curl back down and the down hill ski broke through the crust and rolled once with the machine were i was left peacefully sittng in the snow while i watched the once pretty sled roll w/out a doubt 70 times before stopping at the bottom minus the hood. Imagine a sled in a very big blender with a few hundred pounds of snow. Have fun and take your time figuring out the dynamics of riding in deep snow, expect to dig yourself out alot until you get the hang of it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 PM

i think it would be easier to do this with older sled.something lighter and smaller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page