King Of The Mountain - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 04:17 PM

I wish Polaris made that SKS a 136" track. that is a nice sled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:26 PM

supposedly the 144" handles like a 136" on the trail due to the tipped up rails,yet in the power you still get 144" for flotation,sounds like a great all around sled
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:36 PM

I seriously considered the 2003 SKS 800 and if i would have found a polaris dealer that would give me a decent trade in for the putty tat i would have been riding one this winter!! 144 seems like alot, but off trail boondocking would be termendous with this machine!! Not many trails where we live so it is tral blazin through stubbles and ditches!! I will wait and see how it performs then consider the machine for next year!!!For now i am gonna 136" the putty tat!!!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazymtnx34
I need some clarification here...I am wondering if my idea of powder riding is the same as those of the middle and eastern US riders. Many of the posts I have been reading are about people riding in powder in farmers fields, ditches, etc. If that's the case, it doesn't sound like much fun to me. On the issue of riding in the powder, the tough part is learning that you can't just hit the gas from a standstill, and that is still easy to figure out. Even on my sister's ZR 580, I can quite a ways in the mountains, just not where the long tracks go, thats for sure . I'm just a little confused on how it works in the Eastern parts of the US...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 01:43 PM

In ontario we dont have to many clear hills they are covered in trees. We run hydro lines /pipe lines /riverbeds and untracked logging roads. Last year(JAN) the powder in Cochrane was around 6' deep and i still hadnt hit bottom. There were NO hard layers in between just fluff. I was walking in the troughs I made and I still couldnt see grass and the top was almost over my helmet. Last season with my Gade 136"x1.25" I found a crazy technique that worked every time I tried it. If I started feeling that my sled was getting sucked in beyond the point of no return . I would give the throttle a good blip before I bailed off. The machine would land on top of the powder every time. No digging. I would just swim through the powder back over to the machine, put one leg on and doo a power turn out of there. Give it a try, you'll be suprised. Just M2C
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazymtnx34
permafrost - that sounds like a good idea and way of spraying a buddy or two nearby. Thanks for the idea...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 05:07 PM

NP crazymtnx34, most of the people dont know when to make the call and dig down to the sod , makes for alot of digging , the same applies for water ive seen lots go down full throttle,lol. Ladyk made the call 2 winters ago on her FZ500 , it was straight up and going down hard , she hit the kill
dove off and swam too shore. i thew her on the back of my sled and headed off to the doo dealers house a few kms away.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Administrator_X

The most powder I've ever been in is after a good blow and we usually don't get more than 2-3 ft during a real good storm. Then it warms up and the powder is no more. You guys make it sound like a real gas. Love to try it sometime with the proper instruction.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 06:27 PM

Permafrost is right about our area. I think the difference between the flatlands and the mountain areas is that (from what I've read) you mountain guys do a lot of traillering to get to where you ride. That is of course unless you are from the only state north of Canada. Myself I start my sled in the garage, and ride off for the day. Getting there is half the fun!!!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:28 AM

I trailer about 60 miles to ride. I can ride from my yard, its about 20 miles to the mountains and we have lots of trails to ride. The only time I ride the trails is when my wife wants to go for a short cruise, not very often. Once a person rides the bottomless powder in the mountains, they are hooked. I started out riding trails and using my sled for hunting and fishing, then a friend took me riding in the mountains with my 121" track and I have been hooked ever since. That first day we spent 8 hours in the mountains, I was stuck for about 7 hours and was so sore the next day I could hardly move. Now I ride the mountains 2 or 3 days each week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page