Getting "unstuck" - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 01:52 PM

i like the concept of the folding shovel,i wonder how its works in the powder the blade doesnt look to wide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sled Dogg
How much is the kit? Looks like it's worth it,good looking tools.
Caleb

Caleb Lamley
Quick Oil Change Managment & Consulting
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 12:30 PM

Hey bonzi, thats photo looks like a nasty stuck. It looks like your burried and into a uphill slope, it sucks trying to 180 turn a sled. Yooper , all the advice above is awsome. I too ride alot with my wife, she has 2000 mountain lite so hers aint to bad but i find if your climbing and get stuck on a vertical , just pack the snow on the left or right side from the ski tips down to about the middle of your sled and 9 out of 10 times if you grab the ski handle and crank, it just comes around so you can jump on and go. You just build a little step or ledge and it seems to work well for us. Now on a flat, especially if your breaking trail, like the above peple say, pack a track in front or have anyone else do some laps around you. And when you mentioned getting stuck in slush in the middle of the lake that brought back some bad flash backs of trying to get a 700 mountain max with 2'' track out of the slop with two polaris 156'' rocky mountains tied to each of his skiis and we had to go half a mile to shore, what a roost fest. P.S. dont forget its all fun on a sled even if your back is on fire the next day

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 12:45 PM

ive seen what happens when you pull a sled out of the slush with another sled,imagine 2 pulling and with 2 inch tracks that poor mountain max....nice rooster tail
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 01:04 PM

PANTERAONE, It was ugly. We were all in such a rush to get it out and were about 1 hour from the vehicles and in a new area to boot so we didnt cover the front of his machine so when we got it back to shore and popped the hood there was nothing but wet crap everywere. You could not even see a motor. Not to mention it was so deep in spots that all our boots were full as well. But i tell ya watching from the sidelines, those rocky mountains looked like JET BOATS
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 01:12 PM

regor ...had to tow a sled around 60 miles in slush and powder(the guy snapped his handle bars),but we taped up all the vents with duct tape,the sled had like 4 inchs thick of ice on the cab....hard as a rock..lol... good thing we had a heated garage at our destination to fix and thaw out for the ride back
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 12:36 AM

In addition to the other methods mentions I usually can pull the sled right over on it's side (37" stance, swaybar canned) and kick and stomp snow under it, rock the sled back over and go. What you don't want to do is to make your stucks worse. Learn to get off the throttle before you blow all the snow out from under you. I often actually feel the stuck coming, nail the throttle and jump off and throw the sled foward. You have to pick yourself and wade to the sled, but it's better than digging.

Last edited by Snow Monkey at Oct 14 2002, 02:45 PM
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:04 PM

My group does pretty much the same thing as omotm and hill pounder. As soon as I feel it starting to dig, I get off the throttle. Next I stomp a path in front of the machine and then stomp the snow right next to it. That way we lift the back of the sled onto the stomped snow, have someone pull the throttle and the other person pull on the ski and it comes right out. I found how not to get stuck:
1. don't stop going uphill. I always stop on a level (if you can find it) spot or facing downhill.
2. ride in groups if all possible. I never go into the back country without a cell phone and a partner.
3. have some idea of the terrain your getting into.
The rest you can forget, your going to get stuck. I did install a reverse Kit in my sled this summer. I got screwed up a lot last year trying to turn around in places I shouldn't have been. Where I live, there is nothing level (13 miles from Yosemite National Park). I went down a slope that turned out to be extremely steep. Thought my sled was doomed til spring, had to ride straight up out of a canyon between trees and stuff. that sled did it, it was hairy.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:29 AM

Take a look at the Glock E-Tool

Lightweight polymer, has a saw in the handle and can fit in the sled's trunk or strapped down somewhere under the hood. Its about 45 bucks - you can find at sporting goods stores or online.

http://www.glock.com/e-tool.htm
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:20 AM

Hillpounder I use that same crazy technique. When I feel a stuck comin on just nail the throttle and bail, lol. The sleds jumps on top. Just swim back over and off you go.

Yellosled that shovel looks nice. I like the lightweight part and a saw is a must have. LadyK bought me a SOS shovel last year for christmas. It has held up great so far. Used the saw a few times, super sharp :hallo4:

CrazyB straps an oscar shovel to the back of his sled. At night its great, makes for a monster brakelight, but during the day there is NO brakelight , don't follow B,lol

Here is a pic of the SOS shovel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sos_shovel.jpg (26.0 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page