Thoughts On Finger Tracks - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I am wondering if anyone has experience with finger tracks for mtn riding, I ride in alot of powder but not always very fluffy! Usually only gets to about -5 Celcius.
The snow is usually pretty heavy and I have read that the stock Ski-Doo track with the 2" track is too stiff and pulls alot of snow into the tunnel bogging the sled down.

Any thoughts or opinions?

700_Summit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:34 AM

I always thought that finger tracks were for hard pack and lake running. I dont think you can replace solid lugs for mountain riding. But I may be wrong..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:09 AM

Finger tracks are excellent for heavy wet snow or hard pack. The finger track is going to be even stiffer than the OEM track.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 12:49 PM

:thumbsup: First of all i have to say that your S.W. title name is very cool, almost as cool as mine (ha ha just kiddin ) I heard that dropping and rolling the chain case makes a huge diff. I havent done it yet, is yours the 02 that comes with that already...................
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Well Summit 700 you do have a cool name as well. No I havn't rolled the chain case. mine is an 01 - I have conversation with others who suggest change the skid frame position rather than the drop and roll.

I am interested in trying a different track and changing the gearing to suit my weight (150 soaking wet!)

cheers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 12:11 AM

The doo multi 1.75/2.0 you have works great in the snow you decribe. A bud runs that same track cut to 1.75 all the across for more tunnel clearance, I was a doubter but it works very well. A full 2.0 would help only in sugar powder. Chicken pluckers work in setup snow but trench everwhere else. Your 151 weighs 47lbs, a plucker 151 is probably 5+ lbs more. Relocating the skid back 3.5' helps the AOA and can make a big difference, you'll need to get some brackets to cut the rear rails and remount your wheels, a good time to go 8" wheels. I wouldn't roll the case, too much work for very little added clearance, the trailing arm support limits you. The best thing for the wet heavy coastal snow is to stay on top of it so I;d say the AOA mod will get you better results that a track change. You might just want to pull your strap up full tight when it's deep and sticky? I ride WA so Iknow the snow. gluck
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 02:54 AM

what OMOTM said
if ya wanna ride powder and climb hills nothing beats the camo challenger
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Hillpounder do you know where I could get more information on relocating the skid back , I have had a number of people say the same thing and I am interested!

Thanks for the information

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:12 PM

They won't let me post a Snowest link, but if you head over there and go to the Performance/Modfied section, type in "setback" in the search window and you will find many, many threads on this subject.

The easiest way to accomplish the setback is to just buy the kit from .Kinetic. I have a 4" setback on my Summit 670X running 136 rails and a 144" track, it is in the process of being converted to 151 rails to run a 159 Camo :thumbsup:

I built my own plates about the same time Kinetic came out with the kit
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, AKSUMMITX for the beta - really appreciate it.

Can you ride yet in your neck of the woods - I am itching

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page