long tracking my rmk - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Question long tracking my rmk

i am going from 144" to an 162". I was hoping for some advice on the most inexpesive and efficient way to do so? has anyone done this already... what's the best way to deal with the 2.5" lugs clearing the tunnel? is this a good choice for heavy powder mnt riding? will my sled have enough power to turn the bigger track?
800rmk,slp,vforce.

Last edited by grubb'n; 05-29-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 AM

lol my King Cat was shortend to 136 when the previous owner bought it at the dealer as he was into racing his buddies. He would have bought the zr but you cant get a titanium edition zr so he got the King and had it shortened, my point being My cat just kicks butt out there even with a 136, it generates so much track speed without the extra mass so far this season I didnt find even 1 drawback of the shorter track in fact just the opposite, I luv it, it turns fast on the trails and climbs anything I aim it at, I wont go any longer again if I have a choice. I have had longer tracks but the hp and shorter track seems to be the better combo (also alot esier to deal with) JMHO form a guy who does nothing but powder ride in the Divide
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM

You will have plenty of power. least expensive way to do this is to get rail extensions. as for the clearence you might need to get smaller dia. drivers. Might want to consider a 159x2 shoudl only need a rail extension or 159 rails, tunnel extension. Also might need some new tunnel edges off a 159 rmk. If I remember right they have coolent running through them. Another option is do a 151 and you might not need to screw with the tunnel and coolent lines. Just remeber the 162 is a 3.0 pitch and will require new drivers no matter what lug size.

2005 M7 153
Vforce reeds...................Powder Pro Skis.................Speedwerx Single Pipe & Can
SpeedWerx Clutch Kit......Boondocker controler..........HRP Bracket
3" Ole's riser...................Ported Challanger track......SpeedWerx high flow intake
RCS Titanium springs.......Pyro EGT...........................2.5 Degree timing key

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Yeah if you go with the smaller drivers you might be able to fit it without rolling the chaincase or regearing. I couldn't disagree more about the idea that all you need is a 136". As the owner of three 136" sleds and one 151", for the first three months of the winter this year the 136 sleds were completely useless, could not do anything. My wife was repeatedly getting stuck on the trail. I repeat, stuck on the trail. Flat trail. I understand the point about power giving you momentum but when you are just starting out and dig a hole straight down and never even get any momentum, that's a problem. The 151", for really huge powder, was enough for me, I don't see myself going any bigger than that, but there were a few times when even just a little bigger would have been better. You would hate to get stuck in a canyon that you can't climb out of because you don't have the traction. You're going to lose more maneuverability the longer you go so think about it carefully. You can do a lot with a 144" track and how many days of 3 feet or more powder do you ride?

After about March 1 I never needed anything more than a 136" again this year, and the 151 has been parked since then. So if you are never riding in more than 2 feet or so of fresh, yeah the 144" is fine.

Subscribe to my channel:

www.youtube.com/beaxch

Sleds -
2015 Summit SP 800 E-TEC 146"x2.5"
2015 Summit SP 600 E-TEC 146"x2.5"
2000 RMK 800 @ 151"x2.25" 19/40/9T
1992 Indy 500 Chassis, piped 700 engine, Mesh Hood, RMK Skis, 136"x1.75" 18/40/9T

History -
1990 EXT Special 530 @ 136"x2.25" finger, 18/39/8T, Camoplast skis.
1996 Vmax 600 Mountain Max, Summit Skis
1999 RMK 700 @ 151"x2" 19/41/9T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in