Look Out Below - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 10:30 PM

I had some friends caught in a severe snow storm who ended up stranded in a bowl for two days their survival gear kept them alive. Most people carry space blankets and energy bars but not many think to carry something to melt snow in. Since the incident I tell as many people as I can to carry a small metal pot even a lid from a light wieght cooking pot will do. Dehydration is as dangerous as the cold. All three of my friends survived but were air lifted from the sight. A huge thankyou goes to the search and rescue volenteers who found and saved them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:34 PM

70BEEKEEPER, that is a nasty tale. It reminds of a story OMTM told us. I think it is still in the M&P archives here. Anyways up in AK these three guys went into a bowl in the back country and couldnt get out. They were brand new mountain machines but not capable of climbing out. These guys were trapped there for almost three days if I remember right. They had to burn there sleds to stay alive. OMTM saw the smoke and went to investigateas he thought it was a sled burning. Him and his crew were able to get in and out easily. This winter is setting up to be a good one for snow, which will make avalanches more prevelant. Everyone take extra care and caution making sure to have the proper beacons and rescue equipment. Take time to practice with the equipment so you are familar with it, as time is of the essence when saving someone who is buried.

Permafrost
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by permafrost@Nov 5 2004, 08:56 PM
70BEEKEEPER, that is a nasty tale.* It reminds of a story OMTM told us.* I think it is still in the M&P archives here.* Anyways up in AK these three guys went into a bowl in the back country and couldnt get out.* They were brand new mountain machines but not capable of climbing out.* These guys were trapped there for almost three days if I remember right.* They had to burn there sleds to stay alive.* OMTM saw the smoke and went to investigateas he thought it was a sled burning.* Him and his crew were able to get in and out easily.* This winter is setting up to be a good one for snow, which will make avalanches more prevelant.* Everyone take extra care and caution making sure to have the proper beacons and rescue equipment.* Take time to practice with the equipment so you are familar with it, as time is of the essence when saving someone who is buried.

Permafrost
[snapback]360449[/snapback]
It has been a long time since I last posted. This is a picture of classic ignorance, One rider "High Marking" above his stuck buddy. This hillside avalanched 10 minutes after they got off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summit_22_Feb_02_012.jpg (17.2 KB, 335 views)

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM

This is what was left of one of the burnt sleds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9_Feb_03_Summit_013.jpg (56.2 KB, 301 views)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OMOTM@Dec 3 2004, 10:55 AM
It has been a long time since I last posted. This is a picture of classic ignorance, One rider "High Marking" above his stuck buddy. This hillside avalanched 10 minutes after they got off.
[snapback]370715[/snapback]

Deffinately been a long time since you've posted OMOTM :!: I was wondering where you have been because you always have all those good Alaskan pictures in most of your posts.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snow-Drift@Dec 4 2004, 07:12 PM
Deffinately been a long time since you've posted OMOTM :!:* I was wondering where you have been because you always have all those good Alaskan pictures in most of your posts.*
[snapback]371132[/snapback]
Thanks Snowdrift, unfortunately work has been hampering my activity. Fortunately that is over. This is a picutre of a very nice climb.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9_March_03_Summit_018.jpg (47.3 KB, 210 views)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:49 PM

Awesome! Nothing like them big, huge snow covered mountains.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Bill, good to hear from you
You will have to make up for all the "lost" time at work with some extra sledding missions. I am getting our sleds ready for the season and hope the snow we have stays. Looking forward to some great pics and posts.

Jeff
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 PM

Snow demons hard at work here this weekend.........12/10/04 on skier buried and killed......12/11/04 2 snowmobilers buried 1 killed 1 in hospital.....and the weekend is still young............ !!! The Story Picture
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Never hurts to keep a topic like this alive. I've been buried , Watched others get buried and watched a friend die in avalanches..We can never be too careful out there people..Common sense is the best safety tool we have---Lets all use it along with all the other tools available to us nowadays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page