A Minnesota Trip Next Year - Page 3 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM

It would be a matter of timing for me. If the timing is right, I would be interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Smile

It's all a matter of snow. I know when this idea was kicked around last season, there really wasn't much to ride on in the state except for the North Shore. And even that was not as snowy as most years.

If the conditions allow, there are a lot of nice places to ride in the state. I'd most likely be interested in a group ride if everything can be arranged. It's just really hard to commit to something too far in advance when you can't forsee what the winter will bring. I'm just so used to being disappointed in the amount of snow.

TomS.
'98 Polaris XC 700
Lotsa miles, some bolt-on's
'99 Polaris XC 500 SP
Wife's machine
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:00 PM

I hope its better in the winter. I was just in Hibbing for work,and I can easily say it was the most boring,and inconveint place I've personaly ever been.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I hope its better in the winter. I was just in Hibbing for work,and I can easily say it was the most boring,and inconveint place I've personaly ever been.[/b]
its a whole different world up in north minnesota then in a city area. you find stuff to do and for me i love it because its nice a quite and there is not a million people to bother you. the iron range has great winter riding though

If it doesnt have an 8 foot box, it not a pickup, its a glorified 4 wheeler
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
dont know what your saying here?
really you will just ahve to trust me on this about the ditches. in one 5 miles piece (my favorite place to ride but take 45 min to get there) there is 3 huge approaches with all about 40+ foot kit to lands. a ton of smaller jumps, like 4 big hills, a lot more, and all the while the clearing in the ditch is about 300 foot wide, its a lot of fun[/b]
I have heard of "ditch banging" before. Could you explain exactly what that means? You ride along the edge of the roads in the ditch? Seems like you would run into hazards like rocks, posts, culverts,etc. not to mention riding near vehicle traffic.

Webmaster for the Wayland Snowmobile Club. New members always welcome.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to someone11 Send a message via MSN to someone11
personally ive never done it but i kinda know what it is. It is kinda riding in the ditches, but more specifically jumping them, and trying to drive your sled up them, and getting stuck most the time, lol. Thats what i see it as, correct me if im wrong.

Nick

"thank God for steel wool"

"Snow is like sex...You never know when you're going to get it, nor do you know how long it's going to last."

Restoration video-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXB_03EqGWU

preffered email- [email protected]

https://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/index...72582&st=30
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have heard of "ditch banging" before. Could you explain exactly what that means? You ride along the edge of the roads in the ditch? Seems like you would run into hazards like rocks, posts, culverts,etc. not to mention riding near vehicle traffic.[/b]
ditch banging is can either be great or horrible depending on hwere you are but basically you just ride this ditch. i never new this was a new concept for people, its what i grew up on. the ditches that suck to ride are really deep and narrow ones, hard to really have fun it or even ride half fast. fun ditches are usaully wider and have lots of differetn errian in them. approaches are great to hit and some a very large and extremely fun to jump. but yes as you said you have to be careful lots of hazards you could possilbe hit. i hate riding ditches at night do to this. really there isnt rocks but you have to be careful for culverts (never hit approaches in the cetner unless you now for a fact that there is not one there, i know the ditches i ride and know where there are and are not ones) some ditches you have to be careful from posts and fences but really they are not usaully a large concern.
here is a pic of my favorite section, you cant see the hills and all the fun stuff in it but you can see how wide parts of the ditches are. the wide sections are about 300+ feet wider
the next is a picture of your ranch right outside of nevis, MN
the last is a picture of the land we got (400 some acres) 5 miles south of nevis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ditch.jpg (161.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg ranch_4.jpg (107.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg ranch_5.jpg (149.3 KB, 51 views)

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

hey guys here is a pictuer of the trail map right aorund the nevis, park rapids, akeley, and walker area. these are just the makes groomed trils not to mention the logging trails and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg area_trail_map.jpg (241.1 KB, 53 views)

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to williamhejlik Send a message via Yahoo to williamhejlik
id be interested depending mostly on time its a short drive from norht dakota but might be heading to montana area this winter,
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM

I will talk to a couple guys here and see if we can get down it would be a huge trip for us, Im up in Canada only about 15-20 mins from noonan nd. so would be a long haul but might be up for it if I dont see you then I will see you in the USCC races.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page