Coolant Question - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:04 PM

I know you were agreeing with me (just not used to it I guess )
I miss some of my dealer days, not all of them, but some.
BTW, 3.5 for a Q4 pump is bustin a$$, sure wish the techs around here had the work available to turn 70 a week. Things seem to get a little slower every year.

p.s., I do not mean to dis anyones opinion, I certainly don't know everything and I am always willing to learn. Besides, if I had all the answers I would never do anything stupid, and where is the fun in that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM

LOL yes I was humpin right along. The guys would get mad as they were afraid Gm would revamp the flat time on them from 6.9 with A/C to 4 or sooo. But I figured heck I would keep at it as long as I could. I do not miss the Dealer days at all. I am just sick of it. And the general attitudes around here is you must be a dumb redneck if you repair Auto's. The general public has no knowledge of the schooling and the commitment involved i obtainig a class A diploma. We are just dumb grease monkies funny huh? We can set them down and explain how their ABS or injectors actually work. but would it do any good?

That's ok we're A-OK when we can repair the problem first time out.

As you stated I too have an open mind, will admit when I'm wrong and love to learn new things. If we didn't continue to learn I guess it's time to pack it in as we are now on a much higher level.
Have a good one Bud my name is Cliffy by the way. Good chatting with you. I think my e-mail address is in my profile if you ever want to drop a line. :thumbsup:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:19 PM

OK now I got to admit I am confused here. I was lead to beleive that certain coolants are different which in part I do beleive. Now I should have stated the coolant in question and it is called cool-anol and i also use cool-aide. I put this in all bikes and sleds and was told by either a rep or salesman (not sure) of the company that regular anti freeze for auto's will eat out your seals due to the bigger molecules, Now I think he is refering to a A/F with silicate inhibitors/compounds which I do know for a fact will eat seals. So why not buy a A/F designed for your sled which has no Silicate in it with great anti foaming agents and can tolerate a higher boiling point with the same freezing point and also lower your operating temperature by 20 degrees. We all know heat robs horsepower so this kind of boils down to a personal prefference, like I say what ever floats your boat I guess. So I think this is great that Versatile has access to a lab, so if you could do a test on this coolanol or something similar and compare it to automotive A/F I would be glad to flip the bill for it just send me the invoice for the A/F because now I am curious also and really want to know.
Now I have had 4 motocross bikes in last year and 3 in this year for water pump seals. Now due to the high demand of engine rebuilds these kids admitted to using auto A/F. This leads me to beleive it was the A/F causing this seal failure, mabee some one else can add to this? The ones we use cool anol in have had no problems.
Now on sleds I will admit to never replacing a seal on the pump but the only sleds i service are relatively new and have factory A/F in them and I replace it with the above stated.
So really Versatile if you could do a test on this cool anol I would greatly appreciate it because I do beleive in this product and I am happy to pay for it.
The other part I don't understand is why such the cotroversy about this A/F it is only a couple of bucks more and is designed for your sled with great benefits, so why not.

Just a few more sled A/F you might want to research

Cool anol
Cool aide
Motorex
Cycle logic engine ice (garbage)
Liquid performance
Honda HP coolant
Water wetter is a great additive to keep your engine 20 degrees cooler, just read the bottle.

For those wondering what silicates are, they are corrosion inhibitors which in turn act as an abrassive to mechanical water pump seals. I do know that the Honda HP coolant got right away from the silicates and used an organic corrosion inhibitor. Just remember your sled RPM's and small mill should be taken into consideratuion here, way different than a cars cooling system.
Let me know the results, going away on holidays late tonight for 3 weeks of sledding, happy new year to all. Brad

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Honda calls for silicate-free antifreeze in my motorcycle to prevent water pump seal failure. Regular a/f contains silicates which are abrasive to seals. Even the Honda bike dlr used regular Honda a/f for cars in their shop. After I special ordered the Honda silicate-free pre-mixed he now stocks it in regular inventory. Don't know if sled water pumps are suseptible to same type of seal damage. The new long life a/f's (non-green) are also silicate free but I've heard of a few horror stories with sludge/corrosion build-up from a few people who tried it, but others have had good success with it as long as you first flush the system out well. This is fairly easy on bikes but I'm not sure about sleds. For the little extra the Honda pre-mix costs, I'll stick to the green silicate-free.
I'm no expert, just my .02
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Well, I too have replaced a few water pump seals on them triples. I also know about the silicates in A/F so I always buy automotive type A/F that says "Low in Silicats". That probely means of course that there are still a small amount of silicats present. I do add a very small amount (one cap full) of "Gunk" water pump lube that also contains anti-foming agents. I have never heard of the A/F mentioned above but this sounds good, but I do have a few questions.

Does the water pump lube help and does coolent under pressure help prevent foaming??

Because the coolent sensor on my ZRT 800 lites the bulb around 245* I went from a 13# cap to a 16# cap.

13 x 3 = 39* + 212* = 251*

16 x 3 = 48* + 212* = 260*

This gives me a little more cushion before the cap pop and dumps out some coolent. Our 2007 Mod 600 Snow-X sled came with a 19/22# cap which we also use on our 440 Stocker.

Auggie

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Cool anol
Cool aide
Motorex
Liquid performance
Honda HP coolant
Water wetter is a great additive to keep your engine 20 degrees cooler, just read the bottle.[/b]
Thanks, I will try and find a few of these labels, I know I can find the Honda HP and Cool aide.
I was not attacking your post, or not intentionally, I have just never heard of some of the claims of some of these products. The chemistry dept here likes sampling things like this, not that they are the fastest about it, but it is real life testing for them.

Again, no offense meant.

Oh, and I am REAL jealous that you have found a place to ride that actually has snow, have fun!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
OK now I got to admit I am confused here. I was lead to beleive that certain coolants are different which in part I do beleive. Now I should have stated the coolant in question and it is called cool-anol and i also use cool-aide. I put this in all bikes and sleds and was told by either a rep or salesman (not sure) of the company that regular anti freeze for auto's will eat out your seals due to the bigger molecules, Now I think he is refering to a A/F with silicate inhibitors/compounds which I do know for a fact will eat seals. So why not buy a A/F designed for your sled which has no Silicate in it with great anti foaming agents and can tolerate a higher boiling point with the same freezing point and also lower your operating temperature by 20 degrees. We all know heat robs horsepower so this kind of boils down to a personal prefference, like I say what ever floats your boat I guess. So I think this is great that Versatile has access to a lab, so if you could do a test on this coolanol or something similar and compare it to automotive A/F I would be glad to flip the bill for it just send me the invoice for the A/F because now I am curious also and really want to know.
Now I have had 4 motocross bikes in last year and 3 in this year for water pump seals. Now due to the high demand of engine rebuilds these kids admitted to using auto A/F. This leads me to beleive it was the A/F causing this seal failure, mabee some one else can add to this? The ones we use cool anol in have had no problems.
Now on sleds I will admit to never replacing a seal on the pump but the only sleds i service are relatively new and have factory A/F in them and I replace it with the above stated.
So really Versatile if you could do a test on this cool anol I would greatly appreciate it because I do beleive in this product and I am happy to pay for it.
The other part I don't understand is why such the cotroversy about this A/F it is only a couple of bucks more and is designed for your sled with great benefits, so why not.

Cool anol
Cool aide
Motorex
Liquid performance
Honda HP coolant
Water wetter is a great additive to keep your engine 20 degrees cooler, just read the bottle.

For those wondering what silicates are, they are corrosion inhibitors which in turn act as an abrassive to mechanical water pump seals. I do know that the Honda HP coolant got right away from the silicates and used an organic corrosion inhibitor. Just remember your sled RPM's and small mill should be taken into consideratuion here, way different than a cars cooling system.
Let me know the results, going away on holidays late tonight for 3 weeks of sledding, happy new year to all. Brad[/b]
Why do you say that engine ice is garbage?

I've used it with great results in my quad for the last two seasons. It actually did lower the operating temp and it won't kill the neighbors dog...

Just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page