Jaguar Z1 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Coming 2 a Trail near You

Send a message via AIM to PowderBoy
Rode a few miles on the Z1 this week. The machine is certainly impressive in all ways but one. I was not impressed with off the line power. The machine makes 125HP and can certainly get up to 80 on a loose snow trail..... but it is slow to take off. I would say it cant be much faster then my Z570. I was clipping along at 70 and you feel like your going 50. Everyone in my group took it for a ride and liked it.... One liked it so much he bought the sled. We rode some moderate trails during the first day and my buddy was right behind us when I was working just to keep my machine from launching over the bumps.

I am thinking that cat will have to put a turbo on it. A turbo would certainly put this machine in the running as one of the best four stroke performance machines. I am hearing rave reviews about the F1000 but am not in a hurry to go back to 2 strokes. I am definetly looking forward to next years sleds now.

2002 Pantera 800 (BIG BERTHA)
2002 ZR 600 (CJV)
2005 T660 ST
2002 Z71 Tahoe
1987 Silverado 3/4 Ton (Project Plow Truck)
1996 Pro-Line 201 Walk Around

CAN YOU EVER HAVE TOO MANY TOYS?

AC FORUM MODERATOR
----------------------------
CJV 02/24/83 - 04/15/08
God took away my riding buddy this year but hes not going to let god take away our snow, forever in our hearts.
Sterling Marlin &
David Reutimann
Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

PB, I'm glad you posted this. I like the Jag, but I honestly think the price will keep me away for a while. I may get over that since a Jag can now be had for $8000 if you look hard enough, but I'd really like more HP too if I buy the "latest and greatest". So, I've been looking at a couple ST's lately. Do you still have yours? Do you still like it as much as when you got it? Any problems with it along the way? Does the ST seem to have more power, compared to the Jag? I know it's rated less than the Jag, but based on topend #'s I've heard and your dissatisfaction with the bottom end, it sounds like the ST might make better use of it's power???
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Jim-

The ST is a great machine by far. I usually keep sleds for about 3 years then get something new. My only dissatisfaction with the ST is the top end. Because it is heavy I am beaten on the lake by f5's and that stinks. I was told I could clutch and give me a higher top end. Basically the ST is faster then the Jaguar. Top end is probably the same but theres no substitute for that Turbo launch that the Jag does not have.

The jag is definetly a more comfortable ride though, but you wont see me buying one just yet. I love my ST turbo all around and wont sell until the jag gets a turbo. I have 2800 miles on my Turbo and have had NO engine trouble. the chassis on the ST has also proven to be pretty indestructrable as well. Gotta love those FOX shocks.

2002 ZR 600 (CJV)
2005 T660 ST
2002 Z71 Tahoe

AC FORUM MODERATOR
CJV 02/24/83 - 04/15/08
God took away my riding buddy this year but hes not going to let god take away our snow, forever in our hearts.
Sterling Marlin &
David Reutimann
Fan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Jim-

The ST is a great machine by far. I usually keep sleds for about 3 years then get something new. My only dissatisfaction with the ST is the top end. Because it is heavy I am beaten on the lake by f5's and that stinks. I was told I could clutch and give me a higher top end. Basically the ST is faster then the Jaguar. Top end is probably the same but theres no substitute for that Turbo launch that the Jag does not have.

The jag is definetly a more comfortable ride though, but you wont see me buying one just yet. I love my ST turbo all around and wont sell until the jag gets a turbo. I have 2800 miles on my Turbo and have had NO engine trouble. the chassis on the ST has also proven to be pretty indestructrable as well. Gotta love those FOX shocks.[/b]
Thanks! I think I just decided on my spare/wife's sled. Still need to consider the 2-up version as well because we have two boys, but maybe I can get around that with a seatjack, or a Cat 2-up seat/tank combo.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

ive always found that if your going to ride 2up... then buy a 2up. I put a backrest on my 570 so two people can ride it. Its ok if your riding somewhere quick but its not great for the long hauls.

I had a pantera for 3 years and that chassis was good to me... The extra weight from the 660 motor really gives the 2up a catillac feel. I would go for the 2up. its a great versatile sled and a little more comfortable then the standard model.

2002 ZR 600 (CJV)
2005 T660 ST
2002 Z71 Tahoe

AC FORUM MODERATOR
CJV 02/24/83 - 04/15/08
Sterling Marlin &
David Reutimann
Fan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 PM

I think you're right PB, but I guess I was just hoping I could avoid the added weight of the two-up for my wife. It's really not that bad though. With our last 2-up (triple touring, prob just as heavy as a 660 turbo 2-up) I realized that the whole rear rack assembly can be removed by removing some nuts/bolts, to make single riding a little more enjoyable. I would also want to longtrack an ST if I bought one, so really the longer 2-up makes more sense (less work). I will try to make a deal on one this summer/fall. Would like to go with an '06, but pricing may keep me to an '05.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I think you will do well with a two up... if any company can make a heavy sled corner well its the CAT!!!!!. I loved my pantera... if i wasnt cheap i would put a longtrack in the ST.

2002 ZR 600 (CJV)
2005 T660 ST
2002 Z71 Tahoe

AC FORUM MODERATOR
CJV 02/24/83 - 04/15/08
Sterling Marlin &
David Reutimann
Fan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to puree
funny that you mention that you didnt care for the take off on the jag,,, I feel the same way with my sons f6,,, its an 07 and I am totally unimpressed.
We were on a trip and a buddy came along side me on his rev 800 and at a 25-30 mph rolling start, I hung with him for 4-500 foot, but then he started to pull on me. I didnt feel bad about that at all being he has 200cc more and I outweighed him by over 100 lb,,,, guess I had nothing to loose in that race LOL

09 1200 Renegade
10 1200X Renegade
03 F7
07 F6lxr
03 Z370es
78 Invader 440

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page