99 zr 600 efi bogs down - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

99 zr 600 efi bogs down

My sled will start fine, idle fine, and take off okay but then it bogs down and runs like it is either starving for gas or flooding out, as soon as I get out of the throttle it will run okay again to a certain speed. I am baffled by it. It started on my last ride of last season don't know if I got some bad gas, dirt in system,or what happened. the trails were ice and don't think I overheated it. 1 spark plug is dry and seems to burn clean and1 is wet, doesn't seem to miss at low speeds.tried 2 sets of new plugs, Any ideas where to start? coil ?,ecu?

Last edited by 1sparky; 01-04-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 AM

All 99 models were famous for burning out stators...I know this cause I had 2 sleds that needed stators rewound. To keep them from burning up, drill 5- 3/8" holes on the underside of the metal shroud of the stator....I can attest that this is your problem
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

okay I will check this out, where does one get a stator rewound?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

the sled never dies, just bogs down at say 30mph, I thought if the stator was bad it would shut off, but it will keep running at lower speeds, I am baffled big time,1 cylinder seems to foul out, I put compression tester on it and both cylinders are the same.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 AM

stators are hard to diagnose...what you want to do is measure the resistance on certain coils when cold...run it and when the symptoms arise measure it again. It could possibly be the fuel pump not giving you enough fuel...On another note, I have an arctic cat crossfire that only drove to 60mph and had one dry plug...fought with it and checked everything...had enough and took it to the dealership...ended up being the stator.....Look up stator kev on internet....he has a how to, to check them out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

okay I will do that,
thanks for the info
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I have a 3 wire plug tested this to manual specs. black wire to green 25 ohms/ brown to green 274.8 ohms/ black to brown 309.8! looks to be a bad stator. Now from what I have been told is to use a NEW replacement as the rewound stators don't hold up. I have also heard that Blaine and stator kev do nice work. what is your thoughts on this? Would feel better spending less money and ride more but do not want problems on the trail
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:08 PM

Have you checked your throttle position sensor mine had the same issue easy fix to start with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page