Snowmobile World banner

Lost Key

28K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Arctic Express 
#1 ·
I know its a stupid thing to do, but I lost the ignition key to my sled. The dealer said he could match the key to another if I bring in my sled, which is a huge inconvenience to me since it won't move. What I was thinking was I could take out the ignition switch and just take that to the dealer (if possible, haven't been out to look at it yet). Its an 02 xc 600 sp by the way. Any advice or suggestions to make this easy??

Thanks in advance. :crazy:

#3 ·
Polaris only makes four different keys.......yes its true. You can start your sled with a different key as long as it is in the same series of keys. The marking on the key are little dots. If your sled has a key wth four dots.........any key with four dots will start your sled. Same goes for one dot, two dots, etc.....

#5 ·
if you cant find a key, just unplug the wires commin out of the ignition and it will start. That is what i did with my sled. I still have the key but i dont use it. I found it of being an inconvenience to take it out every time you are done riding. :)

#18 ·
The switch changes the timing for regular fuel so you have less of a chance that you will burn out your engine. The machines were always designed for a higher octane then your car so the Premium setting just lets it run like every other older sled with no switch. It will be the same as running an older sled on regular. So you can take your judgement on that. :confused: But if you use regular fuel (87 octane) then your switch should be set to the Regular setting.

#19 ·
I understand that the premium setting advances your timing, but if you just wanted to be on the safe side and didn't always use premium gas would it be better to just leave the switch on regular or premium? I just burned a motor down last week that's why i'm asking. I'd just as soon run regular all the time but some places up north only have premium and i want to know if i add premium can i still leave switch on regular? Thanks in advance.

#25 ·
just get rid of your key switch all together and put in a toggle switch.
as stated,we all know how to "hot wire" a poo
just intall the switch so that when in the down position it is on and if it is plastic ,cut it as short as possible so hitting it while riding is less possible

don't spend the money for a key when it really isn't neccesary

#26 ·
. . . But a replacement key, from my local dealer, only cost me $4.99. I just bought one for our XC500, that only came with one.

A person could spend more than that on parts to rig something up, and still have to spend the time to do it.

'Course I went in there with one, and just needed one to match it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.