I fell off - Page 5 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:14 AM

yammyrider -

" maybe it makes them feel smarter pointing out things they think you do not know, i dunno."

wrong. *completely.

I know full well what he is saying. *I don't agree with him and we had a good civilized discussion about it, and it was one of the better threads I have been involved in. *He has his riding style, I have mine, and we both have our opinions on each other's. *No one says we have to agree. *I respect his opinions and he respects mine. *Al is one of the more articulate people on this board and conveyed his feelings on the subject very well.

I never attempted to point out anything he did not know, nor did I assume he did not know it - the man has displayed every characteristic of being a non-idiot.

There. *I pointed out something YOU did not know. *And I still don't feel smarter.

Cheers and Happy Sledding.

Scott

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 12:49 PM

Yes people that stop on the trail on a blind corner ar idiots but the point thunder is trying to get out is that running at high speeds with little dist between sleds going into a blind corner is just an accident waiting to happen.I have been rearended by people that think it is fine to run this close.At speeds people,I don't care who you are,DO NOT have enough reaction time to avoid a acident safely this is why I now ride in the back.I don't Like laying,unexpectedly,over the hood of someones machine because they were following too close and did not see the brake light in time to react with out slaming into the back of my sled.This is from personal experience as I did end up laying over the hood of a 97 zr580 because of this.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:37 PM

One more post here, then I quit.

Yammyrider,
I think you've made a good point. There are obviously people doing what you are describing, its not hard to see. It is easy to see past them though, they have nothing new to add to the subject. They have fun sitting at their console, arms folded across their belly, trying to find things wrong with what you are saying. The subject at hand isn't even relevant. They don't have to know anything about it that way. It would be really neat to see some of these people spending as much time thinking about what they could add to a conversation, rather than the criticism. They want to talk about the rules, not about why the rules are there.

My attempt here was to create sparks to try to get guys to drop the defenses that jerks like those above evoke, and just write down what they are thinking, for all of us to share, without fear of the stampede of criticism. My major hope is that the few who actually had the balls to take part, had as much fun with it as I did. There were a lot of feelings brought out, and I'm sure a lot of thought went in to some of the conversations.

Thundercatzr, thank you, for the conversation, and the compliments. I look forward to the next time we find something to disagree on. I don't believe it was you that Yammyrider was refering to at all.

AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:52 AM

Going back and reading Als lil story makes me think.Seems to me Al say"Coming out of a corner and entering a straight section,there were older sled PARKED off the trail".Now maybe they did hear you coming Al and the child had ran out in the trail with the mother trying to catch(the kid). Did you ever think that JUST maybe she was a first time sledder? How can a first time sledder tell how far you are from them?Or cant deaf people enjoy the sport we all love also? Seems to me Al that if I would have came out of a corner and SEEN the sleds sitting there PARKED off the trail I would have slowed down for whats called common coritsey.So next time you say WHAT were they thinking,THINK YOUR SELF if you see sleds setting next too or off the trail SLOW down.Snowmobile safety is something we should all be aware of, not saying we all love the need for speed but remember this is a FAMILY sport also.

The wife says next time I go sledding she's going to leave me,gosh sure am going to miss her.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 02:05 PM

So I lied about quiting. Letters like the one preceding are exactly what Yammyrider was talking about.

Snocat14,
Slowing down for the crowd, then braking hard for the people in the trail is exactly what I did and wrote of. What is your point? Or didn't you continue reading before you decided to criticize me? If you had, I'm sure you would have read that this woman and child were passed with plenty of room, at a walking speed.

My assumption on the woman was the same as yours, a first time sledder, but with presumably no guidance from the sled owners. Your point that the child may have taken off is well taken, that would actually make sense, except the woman was kneeling in the trail with her back to me fiddling with his (her) coat. If she had been chasing a toddler because of oncoming sleds, our eyes would have met at some point. As it was, they never did. I never saw her acknowledge my presence. Not relevant anyway. Point is they were in the trail.
(Sorry, that's still a pretty vivid picture in my mind)

The potential for having 10 or 12 deaf people on the side of a trail is pretty remote, wouldn't you think? I can't believe you would even say something like that, let alone reprimand me for not thinking about safety, that thinking snowmobiling was not a family sport or for not having "whats called common coritsey". Why would you think I've taken the time for the original note, let alone all the replies, if I weren't concerned about safety? Maybe YOU should THINK before responding to a note with such criticism, this one, or any other for that matter...

AL, Flame suit ON!

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:57 PM

I am surprised at the reactions that have been recorded in this discussion. Especially early on from Mr. Yarek and Thundercatzr. You two are veteran riders and I am surprised at how quickly you passed judgement on Al's story, condeming him to defending himself for the entire topic. I understand that the trail system in Michigan is well maintained and mostly very wide. What difference does it make at how he rides?? No one can ride only a sled length apart fast...there is too much snow dust kicking up and it is very hard to maintain a similar speed to the sled in front. Ever notice how things look closer from a sled when you are behind them than from a lateral view? I'm sure you have. It may have seemed like they were only 1 sled length apart. Al forgive me if I am wrong on that. If I am I would like to see your group ride! *
* * * Anyway, back to the original topic, which was simply avoidable obstructions on the trail. The only one of us that actually saw the situation was michahicks. The rest brought to the table their interpretations of the story, with many jumping on the band wagon built by Paul and Scott. There is no reason that Al should have to defend himself on this site.
* * * I've had alot of time thinking about this discussion and am frankly kind of embarrassed at the harrassment michahicks took. And that was from his friends! No wonder snowmobilers are under attack....we jump to conclusions about our OWN! What happened to trusting people to ride responsibly??
* * * *I am not criticizing the reply's in this discussion. I am stating my thoughts just as everyone else did. It was a good discussion and revealed alot about the attitude of some of the users on these forums. Now you know mine.
* * * * Now I am sure that there are those of you that can and most likely will jump all over this reply to have the last word. I will go on record saying that I do not think that michahicks is an irresponsible rider. I do not consider him a danger to the public. Please remember that this is all subjective, and that you can't always take things at face value. Especially stories such as these.

* * *And that's my 100 bucks worth. I believe that is my longest post ever, and may even rival those of Machzzz1

* * * * * *Copies of my book "Our own worst critics" will be on sale starting March 1 through the snowmobileworld.com administration and Amazon.com * *
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:11 PM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
rocket,
*you see it differently than i do.

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:31 PM

seeing things different is what makes people so interesting and life exciting. *I mentioned before I enjoyed the posts. *and have learned from them to me that is the purpose of good discussions on any topic. * *
what do you think rocketman and michachicks. *is it time to lock this topic?? *or is it interesting enough to continue.

Make it snow everywhere but my driveway and sidewalks!! AWW!!! Heck Just make it snow!!!

2001 550 Panther sold
1992 Lynx sold
1988 Jag gave to my son
2002 enclosed 12' load-rite trailer sold
2002 Olds Bravada with straight six More HP than my v8 had
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:36 PM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
one thing i do know is that when a cop goes to an accident he would sooner have one witness than ten witnesses. one witness one story, ten witnesses ten stories. ask a cop. so once again we all see things different.

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to RNM2399
If everyone saw everything exactly the same we would all ride the exact same sled at the exact same speed on the exact same trail. We wouldnt have to worry about anyone stopping in the trail because we'd all have to pee at the same time. How much fun would that be? Not much! To each his own!
* * * * * * * *Ryan

It's not that winning is everything, it's just that losing sucks so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page