I fell off - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Just wanted to share last night's experience!

Some guy stopped his sled in the middle of the trail. So it was either hit him or dump the sled! I wasn't driving, but all i knew is that I was going face first in the snow! Luckily the sled was ok, we're lucky that it didn't go into a tree or into the river!

My man did a good job of keeping it off of us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 09:54 AM

The last post was edited.That is why we have moderators.If a person does something stupid on the trail,it is not the brand of sleds fault,it is the dork in the seat.Jilly,I guess you really like your brand.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 05:23 PM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
jilly,
*if you check the guy that was in the middle of the trail his kid probably drops his bicycle anywhere and takes up more room with it than a tractor trailer does. that's the way he taught the kid.
*i tell the kids in our group never stop in a corner, make sure you can see for a mile in both directions if you do stop and both skies on virgin snow.

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:51 PM

So this reminds me of something that happened to our group last weekend. We were a group of four, all very well seasoned (I'm talking about more than a hundred years experience, combined, among us), on very high performance trail machines. We had maybe a hundred miles under our belt for the day and had run into an area I know very well. Conditions were right for a very fast run the last 10 miles of the day, mostly through a long series of twisties, one of my favorite sections. It was Super Bowl Sunday, traffic had been very light. So we decided to take full advantage of the bright day and good conditions, so rare in our area this year. We were running very fast, at the top of our capabilities. Corners were being taken in a long series of slides, big roost from the rear of our sleds. 2 big Polaris triples in the lead and 2 big Skidoo twins in back of those. We had to have been very easy to hear coming for miles with all of our machines running up on their pipes. We came flying around a corner maybe a sled length apart and entered a straight section. Parked off to the side of the trail were several older sleds, all people well off to the side of the trail. But something just wasn't right. Then there she was, a woman kneeling in the trail, not far from dead center, adjusting a toddlers coat, HER BACK TO US! *HOLY COW! I couldn't believe it.

We easily avoided them by braking hard to a reasonable speed and passing with several feet between us and them (caused quite a commotion among us to though, locked up tracks, sliding, and near misses among our own), not even a threat actually, but the thought still haunts me. I'm sure she felt threatened. I'm sure she believes I was being a reckless lunatic and the incident was entirely my fault. Even though somebody else coming through there may have been passing, may have been drinking, may not have had the forsight to be driving defensively, whatever, the list of possibilities could go on for a while. Scary, VERY scary.

I keep thinking to myself, what was on her mind? Was SHE drunk? Why didn't she act on the noise she must have heard well in advance of our arrival? Why didn't the others in her group (probably 8 or 10 people) warn her? Were THEY drinking? Was it that they were that inexperienced that they didn't realize the potential danger roaring down on them? *WHAT?

You figure they will next time? I sure hope so.

AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:33 PM

[/b][/quote]"We came flying around a corner maybe a sled length apart and entered a straight section. Parked off to the side of the trail were several older sleds, all people well off to the side of the trail. But something just wasn&#39;t right. Then there she was, a woman kneeling in the trail, not far from dead center, adjusting a toddlers coat, HER BACK TO US! *HOLY COW! I couldn&#39;t believe it. "<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I am sure they had more reason to be suprised then you did. Travelling along a trail like you were is ten-fold more dangerous then what they were doing.

2000 ZRT800
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:18 PM

"We came flying around a corner maybe a sled length apart "

Glad you don&#39;t ride around my area.

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:51 PM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
michahicks,
*a smart man would delete his post. *

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the warning Paul.

But I think that maybe the point of my note has been missed. The machines were being driven in a completely responsible *manner, by experienced drivers, with a clear view of the trail ahead. I thought I had made that clear in my note. We were driving fast, no denying that. We were not driving in a manner that would endanger anyone else on the trail system. Period. What we do amongst ourselves is our own business. (If one of us had felt challenged, for whatever reason, he would have dropped back). I was not extending an invitaion to ride with me, only being completely honest and describing the situation as I saw it. The toddler could have walked in front of any one of our sleds in safety by time we had come close enough. We passed them at a walking speed under complete control. I had been spooked well within safe stopping distance.

I was just completely taken aback by someone so oblivious to the fact that they were in danger and were not doing anything about it, even with so much warning. I was concerned thinking about what could have happened if the
if the situation had been different...

The purpose for the note was to generate thought. I&#39;m not looking to assign blame on anyone. I&#39;m quite honestly wanting people to examine their own habits and to put themselves in my shoes at the point I had been as I exited that corner and honestly say that they are in control of the situation.

Not looking for any self rightous writers looking to tell me how wrong I was/am. It&#39;s too easy to point fingers at others rather than looking in a mirror. What you think of me or the way I drive isn&#39;t even relevant. If you are of the notion that a sled cannot be driven fast, and safely within the capabilities of the driver, my apologies. I will not try to change your mind here. It&#39;s not what this is about. I&#39;m talking to the people that are comfortable with that idea and asking if they are ready for a situation like the one I&#39;ve described. Always ready...

Still spooked,
AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:52 PM

al - you may be right that they were in the wrong.

But let me ask you this: *when cruising down the highway, do you tailgate? *right on someone&#39;s bumper?

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:28 PM

Al, I agree with you. The way some trails are built there is no way to see around every corner no matter what the speed. People should not camp in the middle of the trail period. The distance you are from your buddies is of no concern because you obviosly trust each other. You&#39;re welcome to ride in our area any time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page