Passing - Page 3 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 10:45 AM

How 'bout the guy that goes blasting past you in the rough stuff that you see a mile down the trail, on break, then passes you again?

The best ones are the ones that do that and you see dusting themselves off as they pull their sled back up onto the trail
A little embarassed?
AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to RNM2399
Alindazip,
* * * I am not sure what you mean by "I still can't figure out how I got this post in the polaris forum *I guess the forum moderators is to busy to move it." Do you want it moved to another forum? I will move it if you want, no problem. I thought it was kinda nice to have some action in here!
* * * * * * * * Ryan

It's not that winning is everything, it's just that losing sucks so bad.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I did not mean to post it in the polaris forum *but hey if it works leave it as it is I just did not want to look like a dummy for not posting in the right forum. * I will leave it up to you *I just thought the general forum would have been the correct place for the topic since it pertains to all *riders.

Make it snow everywhere but my driveway and sidewalks!! AWW!!! Heck Just make it snow!!!

2001 550 Panther sold
1992 Lynx sold
1988 Jag gave to my son
2002 enclosed 12' load-rite trailer sold
2002 Olds Bravada with straight six More HP than my v8 had

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 07:31 PM

I myself wait till I get to a wide long open then I will pull off into the ruff and letrhave it which usually works fine unless you come up behind a idiot that is going 30 or so till you get up beside him and he decides it is a race and procedes to pin the throttle so as not to let you by then when you get to the end and think he will just keep a good clip he slows back down till the next time you try to pass him.This happened to me once and the last time I went to pass in a wide ditch our speeds reached 100 + me in the rough and him on the trail I was getting ahead of him and noticed a enbankment from a plow and it was either pull in to the trail or total the sled well I was 1 1/2 sled lenghts in front of him when I pulled in and at the next stop he pulled up and proceded to swear at me and banter about trying to be a racer etc. I told him next time he sees me coming do like his freinds and move to the right and let me by and not worry about me hitting him because I always pull to the far left of the trail then pass,this is because I do not trust the riders infront as they could acidentaly move left and into my path,this is why I never ever pass in the woods and wait for a good clearing befor I pass.
Once on a ride we had a racer ride with us that thought it was funny to pass and cut over right in front hitting your skis in the process,I watched him do this to a friend and he actually pushed him off the trail into a small grove of trees.The friend missed the trees but he got pretty upset and took off crazy after the kid and when he caught up to him at the next stop he proceded to wack him on top of the helmet making the kids ears ring then he said if that happens again he will wait till the helmet is off next time,the kid rode in the back for the rest of the day after that.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:20 AM

alindazip - maybe it should have gone into the general forum. *but we all know that anyone with an opinion checks all the forums, not just general or their own sled brands. *So who cares where it is?

The important thing is that it was started at all because it is an important topic and some very thought-provoking opinions came out of it.

So kudos to you for starting it (and Al - Michahicks - for piutting forth the suggestion.)

Shiny side up!

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:07 AM

Leave the passing to the wie open straight trails or lakes..........much more safer that way.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:55 PM

Liquid600,
To pick on you for a moment, and to create a spark or two, am I to assume that you are willing to follow me at, let's say, *1/2 the speed you'd like to be running, through the twisties all day till you find "wie open straight trails or lakes" to pass on? Will you describe a wide open trail? The groomed trails in our neck of the woods are only about 8' - 10' wide in a lot of areas. Even if they were straight and flat, would you feel safe passing me, a person you've never met? What would you do if you went to pass me and I sped up? Would you have the same standards for passing at night that you would during the day? How about the situation where I *let you pass fine, but you can't get around the guy I'm running with because he thinks you're me, and he's used to messing with me? (Happened to me this weekend. He finally pulled over for a break after about 15 minutes of hard running, our partners pulled over a second later as I was introducing myself. His driving standards, and mine, were never compromised. He thought I was going to be mad. I was having too much fun just following. What a blast! 2 new friends, finished our day out with them.) *

AL, 350 miles this weekend, 270 of them Sat. - all trail

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:34 PM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
usually a group is not travelling as fast as a couple or three sleds so i wait for them to notice me and pull to the side and stop allowing me to pass. that is what i do when there are faster riders behind me.

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:53 AM

I also somtimes do it that way to. *But sometimes there just so arrogent doing 10km and zig zaging and im starting to built engine temp because no snow is hitting the exchanger that i just put my ski right behind his snow flap and then turn out to pass. *I find this works best. *If you start from far away it normally leads to you getting to close.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:10 PM

Thundercatzr, I got the mirror at canadian tire it wasn't very expensive and works great. I guess it does vibrate alittle but it lets you see a headlight coming up behind you.

Darryn,
GO HARD or GO HOME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page