Passing - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

It seems to be a practice to blast past other sleds on the trails. with many mixed results and some close calls or near colisions. * Since i most often ride with a group of slow riders I and or we are passed quite often. *I have observed quite a few different methods *some good but many mistakes. *
any one have a prefered method *besides good common sense and curtisy
I also find that it is hard to know when the rider in front knows that you want to pass.

Make it snow everywhere but my driveway and sidewalks!! AWW!!! Heck Just make it snow!!!

2001 550 Panther sold
1992 Lynx sold
1988 Jag gave to my son
2002 enclosed 12' load-rite trailer sold
2002 Olds Bravada with straight six More HP than my v8 had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:50 AM

I like to get up about a sled length behind and burp the stingers good and loud. Usually get some attention that way.

Be afraid.....be real afraid......FIRECATF7.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:26 AM

* i wont pass until you turn to see me! the trip pipes does not take long for you to hear me * *BABABURB

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 10:34 AM

This is always a scary situation for me. My first instinct is to pass as quickly as possible when it can be done safely with a full view of the trail ahead. Problem here comes in with a tall sled (M-10) and a lot of power (800 XCR). Most of the time I feel guilty about the roost coming from behind my sled, so I'm cautious, but I really don't know that my presence is known, and am not sure that the person is not about to swerve to miss a bump or something (don't ask me why I think like that). I've tried the approach of coming up close behind the person to be passed, and blipping the throttle, but it doesn't work well for me. Maybe my sled is too quiet, I don't know. Plus, I'm nervous about being that close, even at 15 or 20 mph.

If I know the trail well, and I know an intersection is close by,
I usually wait. Problems with this approach too. Many people
stop at the intersection, then blast through it, without knowing that someone has been patiently following for the last 5 minutes. (Group leaders - kindly check to see the last machine in the group is yours, for Pete's sake&#33

Last weekend I was out for a while and came up on a couple of sleds running at maybe 20 to 30mph. I wasn't in any hurry, but would like to have been running a little faster, so I followed patiently. The guy in back finally caught me out of the corner of his eye going around a corner following at a safe distance. He slowed and let me by with a casual wave of his hand, which I returned. A nice, easy, casual, pass, done in a professional manner. His buddy was a different story.

The section of trail we were in was kind of tight, so I had no choice but to follow patiently. We were coming up on an intersection soon, so I just enjoyed the scenery. When we got to the intersection, he stopped, turned around on his sled, and looked straight at me. Cool, I thought, and expected him to go through the intersection and allow me past on the other side (I was solo). NOT! The jerk continued on, only at a slightly faster pace. There was no way he could have confused me on my black sled for his buddy on a green one.

Sorry folks, this situation has just been interpeted as an informal challenge. Was he thinking that I had just joined him and his buddy as a third member of his group- riding in the middle of it? There was a staight section of trail coming up, and when we got there the coast was clear, so I took full advantage of it. Wasn't much of a contest. He was now the proud owner of a lap full of wet snow, and I felt no guilt.

Both of these sleds were equipped with rearview mirrors, but not riders that were using them. Mirrors should be standard equipment on any sled using the trail systems. Maybe then people will actually learn to use them. If you are using them, you can still be caught by surprise, but not nearly as often.

The sleds I pass, I try to treat as if my kid sister were the driver. From there on it's a judgement call, each situation is different. Sometimes there is no clear right or wrong. I ride in a very popular area, and when conditions are favorable, there are several hundred rental sleds on the trails. God only knows who is on the sled in front of you.

AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 AM

Personally, I will not pass unless the person in front of me is aware I am doing so, and has clearly indicated that I should go around them. *I firmly believe that all riders should have mirrors of some sort and be aware of what is around them, just as in driving a car. *I myself have a mirror that I wear around my wrist (don't wanna drill holes in my hood.) *I maintain full situational awareness of what is going on around me, and expect others to do the same. *Doesn't always happen.

When someone passes without the passee being aware of it, there can be a major scare and when there is a sudden scare, there is one bet as to what that passee's reaction will be. *Human nature dictates that the person will turn away from the offending object, the passer. *That puts the passee off the trail on the right.

Also, when someone is passing an unaware person, they are gonna do it fast, potentially resulting in a rooster tail, possibly limiting the view of the passee - again a dangerous situation.

Have I ever passed an unaware person? *yes, of course. *But I can guarantee it was after miles of following and cursing a discourteous, unaware driver.

The rules on the trail are the same as the road. *If someone faster wants to pass, pull over and let them through -it is the safest thing to do. *In order to do that , you must be fully situationally aware.

So if you don't have a mirror, perhaps you should think hard about getting one.

Scott

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:31 AM

(Group leaders - kindly check to see the last machine in the group is yours, for Pete's sake&#33

Even when I ride in the back of the pack, I usually check behind me (maybe I'm paranoid), just to check for other sled's coming up behind me.
On the shorter trails I normally wait until an intersection/stop to pass, or a long open straight-away on the longer trails.
I have to agree with the last two guys, depends on the situation. We had a similar situation this year in the U.P. some guy was riding the trail with his kid (with him) and his wife. She let us pass at the intersection, he however wasn't as nice. We followed him quite awhile down this trail for a good 10-15 minutes, all the while he's using THE WHOLE TRAIL and leaving his wife way behind. None of the guy's i ride with are willing to put someone's life in danger by passing on a curve or going by within inches of another sled. But one by one, we enjoyed giving him a snow shower. It blew my mind that he could be so RUDE, when he knew darn well we were behind him, and that he left his wife waaaaaayyyyyyyy back. I hope she chewed him a new one.hahahaha

It's really not that hard to be curtious!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:04 PM

Thumbs up

Well, I wish everyone I encountered on the trails was as aware of thier surroundings as everyone here is... My biggest gripe has already been aired, that is - people who know you are behind them and will not take 5 seconds out of their ride to slow down and allow you to pass. *My second gripe is people who are riding down the trail completely oblivious to thier surroundings, and especially oblivious to my pipes rapping behind him. *I am dumbfounded when a person I have been patiently following through the twisties for 5 miles finally looks behind them and gets a surprised look on his face when he sees me on his butt. *Like, where else did they think that racket was coming from. *It all boils down to common sense and common courtesy, which it seem not enough people have much of both. *As for my preferred method of passing, I just pick my spot and go, lots of throttle, and I try to keep the rooster tail reasonable unless, well......unless my patience has worn thin.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:16 PM

I always ride at the end of the line and check my mirror constantly.
Thundercatzr you can get mirrors that velcro onto your handlegrip.

Darryn,
GO HARD or GO HOME!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:22 PM

really, zert? *where? *I suppose royal distributing would carry such a thing? *I have never seen those

do you use them? *my concern would be for stability?

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 03:02 PM

Arrow

I generally ride up as close as I can to the right hand side of the sled and reach over and hit the kill switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page