Conflicting drive belt options - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Conflicting drive belt options

According to my owner's manual my 93 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe uses a belt that is 47 1/4" in length, +/- 1/8". The Polaris web site shows a part number for a belt that is only 45 1/8" long and 1 1/4" wide, which is 2 inches too short and right at the bare minimum width for the belt. I found a different belt on a parts web site that IS the right length and width, and is made for 72-01 mid-powder Polaris sleds.

Why does the Polaris web site list a belt that is 2 inches too short? Is this a common mistake with the older sleds? I'm planning to go with the correct length belt rather than the part number that is listed on the Polaris web site. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Todd

93 Indy Trail Deluxe (440 fan)
97 Indy XLT SP (600 Triple, Liquid)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

To further complicate things...

The 93 Indy 440 SKS (432cc) uses the 47" belt, as does the 93 Indy XLT SKS, which has the triple cylinder 579cc engine. My Trail Deluxe has the 432cc engine, and yet it is the only 93 model that seems to use the shorter belt. This is the reason I haven't purchased a spare belt yet. I called Polaris last week and they said the 45" belt would work, but a 2" shorter belt makes me a little nervous, that and the fact that the 45" belt is also at the minimum allowable width at 1 1/4", which reduces performance according to the owners manual.

The manual doesn't give a part number, just the belt length, and the manual covers 6 different models ranging from 432cc, 488cc, 579cc, and 744cc. Hmmm...

Todd

Last edited by IndyOnPowder; 03-14-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:38 PM

2" short is really short; conversely, 2" long is really long. You will know in a heart beat if that's the correct one or not. Try the longer belt; if it rides just out of the secondary and has minimal clearance from the primary sheave to the belt, you're good to go.

I've had issues like that with Polaris specs. Mostly after I bought something that was the factory part number and didn't fit at all. I hate that part. Especially when it's mail order...

2007 RMK 700, 2008 RMK 600, 1995 AC Prowler 2-up, 1980? AC Cheetah

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyOnPowder View Post
According to my owner's manual my 93 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe uses a belt that is 47 1/4" in length, +/- 1/8". The Polaris web site shows a part number for a belt that is only 45 1/8" long and 1 1/4" wide, which is 2 inches too short and right at the bare minimum width for the belt. I found a different belt on a parts web site that IS the right length and width, and is made for 72-01 mid-powder Polaris sleds.

Why does the Polaris web site list a belt that is 2 inches too short? Is this a common mistake with the older sleds? I'm planning to go with the correct length belt rather than the part number that is listed on the Polaris web site. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I would go with the owners manual. I don't know how Polaris could say a 2" shorter belt could work. In my past experiences even a half inch difference causes lots of issues hence the +/- 1/8" in the manual. Why don't you take a string and wrap it around the outside circumference of the drive belt you have now and then measure the length. At least then you will know for sure what length you're looking for.

The older I get the better I was; In fact now that I think about it I am a legend.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 AM

If I recall correctly, we used a lot of belts that read "1105" in the last 4 digits anyway. Those were probably Dayco numbers. The Polaris number was ended in "1042" as I recall. However, these were standard Trails. The Deluxe is a different machine and I remember seeing the "1059"s around. That's a shorter belt. I'd run the correct one: 1042 on standard Trail; 1059 on Trail Deluxe.

Some drivetrain parts are different on those machines…jackshafts, primary clutches, etc. The owner's manual is probably a dual-duty book for both versions. Be careful that you're reading it correctly.

Formerly known as 63November, and before that as Golsovia.

Riding since 1983.

-Scorpion Whip
-Ski-Doo Skandic
-Yamaha Enticer LTs
-Polaris Trails

Current:
-99 Arctic Cat 550 Panther 14,000+ miles
-08 Ski-Doo 550 Backcountry
-340 eBay Edge from AK, and 10+ other states
-'11 AC T570 brand new...4000 miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and feedback! I checked the belt and it turns out to be the shorter belt that it uses. Now I can order my new belt, speedo cable and slides.

Todd

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM

Awesome! Have a good summer.

The older I get the better I was; In fact now that I think about it I am a legend.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, but what is summer? Its 8 degrees this morning with new snow on the ground. That's on top of the 18" of packed snow that we still have here. I'm riding snowmobiles this weekend.

But for those of you whose winter is over, have a great summer!

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page