Snowmobile World banner

need info on 03 polaris

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lukesdp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I bought myself a new to me snowmobile. I think its a 2003 Polaris but the engine is out of a different one. It runs well but I need your help to address a few issues:

1. one of the wheels in the rear suspension is broken. Where do I get a replacement? The suspension is customized.

2. the temperature sensor is simply taped off and the indicator on the dash goes off.

3. Rear shock is dead. Can they be re-charged or what model do I buy?

4. Electric was swapped in all willy-nilly. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic?

5. wire for thumb warmer is ripped at the base. Can I replace just the warmer?

I've included some pictures of this Frankenstein's monster type sled. Any help is appreciated!

http://imgur.com/a/DJUWW

See less See more
#2 ·
Online stores such as www.denniskirk.com sell replacement wheels with bearings. Measure the size you have and order appropriately. Check eBay, too. Those often come up for sale fairly cheap.

The temp sensor on the Edge sleds is prone to breaking wires, rendering it useless. You can get a new sensor from the dealer. I have not seen one in the after-market.

Which model sled? Some of the "specials" had rebuildable shocks. Most rears are not, though. Again, online is your friend.

Post the model, someone may have a wiring diagram for it and post up.

When you replace the thumb warmer, it comes with the wire. Again, a dealer item, unless you go generic. The dealer one will plug into the harness without cutting wires.

#3 ·
Post up the sticker on the side of the tunnel - The Model number will at least tell us what your sled started out its life as.

The rear skid has rail extensions on it, but can't tell you anything else about what's custom or not without knowing what the skid started out as.

Idler wheels are available lots of places, but you need to know the original skid information to be sure you get the right ones.

#4 ·
Okay, I know it took a while but I finally had a chance to look at the sled again. According to the vin its a 700 xc sp. I guess that's the correct engine in there, maybe the guy just swaped in another one for some reason? Anyways I measured up the idler wheels and they're at right about 4 inches diameter and the shaft is 7/8". Also tried taking the thing off and after one side coming out, the other spins loose. Any hints how to remove it?

Judging for the pictures, does it lack idler wheels? It only has four. My 97 xlt has about a thousand more.

Thanks for the help so far!

#5 ·
To successfully remove both sides of the idler wheel axle:

Screw one end in tight (ish) so that you can remove the other side. Take the bolt completely out and clean it off very thoroughly - you can use a wire brush, or even a wire wheel - just don't overdo it. Once the threads are clean, put the bolt back in and tighten it up enough to be able to remove the other side. Repeat the process of cleaning the bolt.

You might need to hit one side with a little heat to get it to break free as there is almost certainly some sort of thread locking compound in there. You should be able to reach a point where you can break the "other" side free once the first side is removed.

As far as how many idler wheels - are you talking about the back end? The newer Pro-Ride suspension setups came with only two inner idlers at the rear and there was an add-on kit for the outer two that you would use if you were studding the track. More wheels does not necessarily mean better, and the requirements are influenced by the kind of riding you do and whether or not the track is studded.

#6 · (Edited)
Gotcha. I need to bring my impact out to where i keep this thing. I'm guessing lifting the sled off the track would probably help too. haha

As far as the idler wheel, the track is not studded, and won't be. I was looking at the dealers replacement part catalog and seems like there are some wheels on the side of the rail. Would this wheel extreme failure be an indicator of poor setup? Is it okay to replace with a bigger wheel? Nothing on these sites seems to match the 4" I measured those two at.

Also, what ratio should I pre-mix the fuel to? What's the minimum octane this requires?

#7 ·
I believe the oil is 40:1, but there's a chance it could be 32:1. Why are you mixing as opposed to using the oil injection system?

Find the manufacturer of the rail extensions and contact them about idler wheel usage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.