My 00' Machz Has Problem - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Took my 00 MachZ off the trailer Wednesday to do some riding in the 1+ foot of snwo we got here north of Detroit. It had froze to the trailer from a wash and my trip to the Keweenaw. Tought to get it moving and I think I may have smoked the belt. After I got it off the trailer it was making some really funky noise like the track was ratcheting or a big junk of ice or something was in the track. It only lasted for a few minutes, by the time I got her turned around in the field next door and back to the house it had stopped. So we went out riding but it was obvious she had lost something.... Holeshots seem to be there but anything above 30mph was doggy. And she would not out run my 700 MXZ. Any ideas? Could I have damaged the clutch getting it off the trailer? Or is the belt just fried? It was a new belt, had maybe 50 miles on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 04:50 PM

so what did it do? it could be a few things like said the first thing to check would be the belt next mabe it was the chain ratcheting you might want to check that. and last you might want to do a compression test.it could even be a stator... plugs... might need a little more info
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Well I really dont think its the plugs, i have had the machine long enough to tell when a plug is gone. And I dont think its the stator or electrical... seems to start and run just fine engine wise.... When I nail it from stand still, it hooks like always lifts the skis etc .... but when I get it up above about 30 and nail it there is nothing there... like its not dropping down a gear or something. I dont know enough about the workings of a snowmobile clutch to tell whats going on. It will still run up to 105-110 but up to 100 the MXZ was beating it by about 5 sleds... in the past I always had tromped the MXZ no matter what speed. It really seems to take longer and not pull as hard getting up to 100. My buddy thinks i scored the belt and that i should clean up the clutch with some emery cloth?? Not sure on this, seems that sanding the clutch does not seem like a good idea to me?
I blew up a belt in the keweenaw right before I put it on the trailer... Was doing 110 down a road when it went! Belt broke in half and it tore out part of the foot well and the platic above....that was kinda harry w00t ...Seemed fine when I put the new one on but only rode for about 50 miles. I really think I damaged something taking it off the trailer. It was frozen but i lifted the back end up, got the track loose...couldnt run it like that though as i was by myself. Took some RPM's to get it off and like I said was making some funky noise from the track like it was ratcheting or some big ice was stuck in there.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:11 PM

If you blew a belt , you may want to take the primary off and check the PTO seal, I would think you'd hear a PTO bearing though. Otherwise, what RPM's are you seeing when its not running right?, it may just be belt deflection, and you're just in the wrong "gear".
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 PM

Check your rave valves :undercover:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page