Do You Know Whats Wrong? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

So I finally got my sled out the other day and I was flying through the ditch and all of a sudden it shut off on me. Its a 97 MXZ 670. I tried to start it but there was no resistance on the rope. So I took the recoil apart and the blue plastic piece in there was broke off. I don't think any pieces flew further in b/c I found the big round part of it. So I guess Im wondering if that is all that is wrong or if I could have bigger problems. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Well one thing you should know ........ you are far from alone. Many of us with the mid 90's 670's broke the dog on the starting coil. My 96 was a given I was going to have to rebuild about once a year. The plastic center piece is all that is broken I am guessing. Should be able to find one at you local dealer. Just bring in the broken piece and show them. Putting back together is easy once you try.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:26 PM

Whatever you doo don't buy a jobber recoil kit (Kimpex, etc.) if you want a re-occurrence of the failure. Here's the skinny on how to refurbish your recoil, you can substitute dielectric silicone grease for the real expensive Molycoat lube recommended in this procedure.
[attachmentid=18114]
[attachmentid=18115]

Other 2 attachments to follow

Located in Western Quebec

Kilos traveled this season 2750

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Other 2

[attachmentid=18116]

[attachmentid=18117]

Good Luck !!!

Located in Western Quebec

Kilos traveled this season 2750
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:37 PM

Ski-Doo seems to have acknowledged this problem also and redesigned their recoils for that motor. Do you have the recoil with a gold metal housing and a metal retainer ring all the way around it? That's the old original style.

About 2 years ago I gave up rebuilding and bought a brand new recoil assembly from Ski-Doo for my 98 Formula Z 670. The replacement was COMPLETELY different and significantly upgraded. It's in a black plastic housing, retained by 4 bolts that actually screw into a new aluminum collar that bolts to the block (collar is included with the new assembly) which does away with the one bolt steel retaining ring, it has a smaller diameter and slightly longer rope, and has been 100% trouble free for me the past 2,000 miles. As an added bonus, it was several pounds lighter than the original one (I actually weighed them but have forgotten the numbers.)

If you just pony up the cash and order yourself a new one from the dealer, it'll be the best $120 you'll ever spend on that sled.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by craze1cars View Post
Ski-Doo seems to have acknowledged this problem also and redesigned their recoils for that motor. Do you have the recoil with a gold metal housing and a metal retainer ring all the way around it? That's the old original style.

About 2 years ago I gave up rebuilding and bought a brand new recoil assembly from Ski-Doo for my 98 Formula Z 670. The replacement was COMPLETELY different and significantly upgraded. It's in a black plastic housing, retained by 4 bolts that actually screw into a new aluminum collar that bolts to the block (collar is included with the new assembly) which does away with the one bolt steel retaining ring, it has a smaller diameter and slightly longer rope, and has been 100% trouble free for me the past 2,000 miles. As an added bonus, it was several pounds lighter than the original one (I actually weighed them but have forgotten the numbers.)

If you just pony up the cash and order yourself a new one from the dealer, it'll be the best $120 you'll ever spend on that sled.
I'm having trouble with my recoil falling off. I can't get the recoil back on with the rubber ring and metal strap. Is there a certain process I'm not doing to install this? It comes off at least once every 100 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rope.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	32229  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page