'94 formula 580 no go - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

'94 formula 580 no go

I just bought a 94 formula stx 580 and had it out for my first ride, when I stopped at a street crossing I gave her the gas but just starting revving up and didnt move anywhere. Did hear any bad noises or clunks, just wouldnt move. Before I get the "are you stupid?" fixes I did check the parking brake and everything that seemed too obvious. Still would start up and run just fine but as I said would only rev up. A buddy suggested looking at the chaincase, which I got the cover off of and looked fine, now I'm just waiting to throw some more gear oil in there to start it up again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? From what I hear these are pretty bulletproof sleds so long as they get their seasonal maintenance. The removed chaincase oil looked pretty thick and the dipstick was actually missing so im thinking some snow could have melted in there then frozen up eventually. Does this sound like a possibility? This is my first sled but I do have a general mechanical knowledge and the service manual but havent pulled apart enough 2 strokes to know where to start. A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

On a sidenote: the clutch does tighten up to the belt but does not turn it. Threw a new belt on it but like I said have yet to start it up again with the gear oil in the chaincase so I dont know if this helped anything or not.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM

With the back of the sled in the air and the track off the ground, can you turn the large clutch by hand and get the track to rotate?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoolingo View Post
With the back of the sled in the air and the track off the ground, can you turn the large clutch by hand and get the track to rotate?
To add to what he said, I would do exactly that but before filling up the chaincase, take it apart and take the chain off. Now see if you can rotate your track and also rotate the driven clutch. You should also be able to start your motor and get everything to move except the track. If the track rotates yet you can't get your driven clutch to move, take the belt off and try it by hand. If it won't move your only possible issues is a seized bearing or the brake caliper is seized. If the track doesn't turn by hand, start looking for seized bearings. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Talking

check to make sure your sliders are not melted to the track and rails that happened to a buddy of my before on the lake right up front they were melted after a short ride out to the ice hut easy fix the track would t turn and the clutch would try and turn it but could not,hope this helps :Make sure to lift the back up off the ground loosen the track to make sure its not just that near the front is where it melts first normally;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page