Snowmobile World banner

Heard/saw the rx-1 and rx-1 mtn.

9K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  ZRT600MtnCat 
#1 ·
They had a sneak preview today for the RX-1 at the Mer-Maid in Mounds View, MN this evening.  I was very impressed, to say the least.  Here are my observations:

Sound- Incredible, quiet superbike rumble.

The RX-1 has a very low engagement speed, ~2500 RPM.

Weight- Yamaha won't really won't tell you but the factory engineers said that their target was 5% of the SRX.  One other interesting thing at the sneak peak I saw was a sticker one the RX-1 models that said "Prototype front bumper, please don't lift or bounce"  Why?  Looked indentical to the Viper bumper.  Maybe they did not want the attendees to try to lift the front.  One of the factory engineers said,"The amount of weight is not as important as cneter of gravity", thats fair.

Spin oil filter!

Oil change interval 3000 miles.

Lifter adjustment 26,000 miles!

They tested the RX-1 in Alaska to -30F and it started!

Dry sump- no oil to slow down cold starting RPM

No storage compartment.. bummer

Plenty of sophisticated die cast parts and mfg methods.

Overall I liked what I saw and I am pleased with the direction Yamaha is taking!

Maxwell

See less See more
#28 ·
What the rx1 only did 124.  My Mach can top that and so can all the thundercat and XCRs out there.  And its not even in production yet.  So by the time you get it it probably wont even do 120.  

I bet you will feel pretty smart as your passed on a lake.  

Whats with the drop in Hp with the mountain sled.  I bet there are more drops to come just like with the viper.  

A sled with that engine should do 130mph in a strong head wind.  If it cant they can keep it.

#30 ·
It's getting kinda old with some of you guys implying that we are tree huggers just because we want an RX-1.  Let give you some of my reasons again, please note that I don't mention emmisions!

#1. Fuel economy
#2. No injector oil needed.  I will change the oil at the begining of the season for less money than I would spend on injecter oil for one weekend of riding on my MachZ.
#3. Durability. Valve adjustments at 24,000 miles (He!!, how many 2-strokes live half that long)
#4. No more rejetting

Will it be faster than my MachZ, I dought it.  But there is always someone faster anyways.

#32 ·
I dont know about you but i use about $150.00 dollars of injector oil a year.  Even if i used 300.00 i would still be ahead of you for the price diffrence of the machine.  

Fuel eco.  If you accually think you can circle the globe in this sled on one tank of gas your on drugs.  Fuel eco will probably be about the same as a Mach Z.  4 cylinders with 5 valves is going to suck it down.  Plus its still has carbs.  When your reved up to 9 or 10 thousand RPM your everything but efficent.  

Valve adjustment at 24000miles well thats probably longer then the machine will last.  I have never seen a machine with 24000miles that had a body worth saving.  (Steering loose, Suspention warn or warped, Clutches warn, every bushing gone.)  Plus if you accually thing this engine will go 24000miles with out anything going wrong your dreaming.  This is sleding not cycling.  Starting a engine that has been sitting at -20c and goes to operating temp only to be shut of and go back to -20 and start all over again.   Stuff will brake.  

Infact the only thing i have ever gone bad on me was a CDI for my 500 mxz made by TOYOTA(Denso).  Im sure the CDI or computer for the RX-1 is a little more pricy and so is every other part for the yamaha.  I bet the heads alone on that engine is worth more then the 500cc rotax twin.

My point is that you will not gain anything by going to 4 stroke.  Sure it will probably a bit more reliable during the season but overall the same problems will come out.

Rotax has a 800 twin coming out with a 800 SDI they claim way better gas milage, %50 reduction in hydrocarbons and %50 reduction in oil use.  It also has a knock sensor and all the little failsafe goodies.  And more power.  If this technology makes it into a 809 triple i will probably use less gas, Have less problems,  Oil use will be so little it wont matter, and will probably still smoke you on a lake.  

My advice is to just wait and see how the 2 strokes do with the DFI or SDI because from what a few magazines are now saying this is where the market and manufactors are going.  4 stroke are not taking over because there is no advantage that they offer.  All they offer is extra weight.  

Im not saying the RX-1 is a bad machine,  What im saying is that i dont think it will be that special once the new 2 stroke technology is out and running.  The 2 strokes will almost have every advantage on the RX-1.  And sure the RX-1 has good looks but i never bought a machine on looks and i wont start now.

#33 ·
For starters, I'm paying roughly the same price for my RX-1ER as I did for my 99 machZ, $8,400.00.  Plus with the RX-1, I get electric start and reverse.  So if you want to compare apples to apples, I'm actually paying over $800.00 less for the RX-1.  So I do have and advantage there.

2nd. My mach Z gets 10 mpg's, talking to yamaha guys, the proto type sleds that they are testing in Michigans UP have been averaging 200 miles per tank, I get 100 on my Mach!

3rd. One of the proto type sleds has over 20,000 miles on it and it has had only one problem, a valve spring broke.  If that happend to me my 5 year warranty would cover it.

4th. DFI is not the answer, it's still a 2-stroke.

#35 ·
Will it eliminate injecter oil?  Will it eliminate plug fouling?  Will it get 18-20 mpg's? Will it run the same from -10 below to 45 degree's?  Will I be able to start it during the summer let it idle and bring it up to temperature to get things lubed without loading it up?  These are some of the reasons 4-strokes will prevail.

#39 ·
Well i started out driving 4 stroke atvs but 2 strokes are way more fun and cool.  

Outboard 4 strokes suck.  2 strokes are way cooler with more reliablility.  

Maybe in dirtbikes the 4 stroke is better i wouldnt know but in a sled i truly belive that 2 strokes will always prevail.

Also if the RX-1 does weigh less then the mach z then im sorry thats an other good point for the RX-1.  But most of that is probably the newer chassie.  THe Mach Z engine must weigh less then the RX-1 engine.  If skidoo would pull there head out of there A$$ and do somthing with the 809 instead of having it come back year after year the same thing with no new incentives its no wonder they dont sell but if they do wake up the RX-1 will look plain real fast.

#40 ·
I've got my RX-1ER Limiteds coming but I love all sleds. Ski-doo needs to make the Mach Z in the edge chassie period. Alot of guys would buy one if they did this. People have been putting the Z engine in MXZ 440 chassies for a few years and you can guess what they do after the transplant. And they use stock exhaust, so it's an easy swap.
Caleb

#44 ·
You have to wonder when the best Yamaha can give you in terms of performance are percentages measured against past machines. This Yamaha engineer that says weight isn't everything must like em plump.
Well lay off the sushi Yamaha and trim that sucker down everywhere you can. Ski Doo has it right in FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.
LOOKS AINT EVERYTHING! because if it rocks past the rest and is built solid I'll buy it(for the right price).
Give us the true numbers Yamaha because us sledheads thrive on specs when we can't test drive.

My two cents.

#45 ·
I read a few of machzzzz1 post on the rx1, it funny how he has a lot of knowledge on a sled that hasnt been released.  Telling about how its not going to be that good then telling everyone how good the knew doos are going to be and there not released yet either.  Sounds a little biased to me.  Of the four mag reviews I've read on it they are all impressed at how much power the rx1 has.  Its going to be a screamer, thats my unbiased guess on a sled that hasnt been released. :)
With a weight similar to the srx, but the same or lighter than a machz, it will be interesting to see how it handles on the trails with its "balanced weight". Less hp than the machz but more torque.  But the easier and probably cheaper hp upgrades will be nice.

#46 ·
Torque,Torque,and More Torque. It's going to Rock. All I caed about hearing was on it's torque and the fact it beat  the2002 SRX by 6 1/2 sled lenghts in the quarter mile. What else needs to be said? That says it all since we all know what kind of animal the SRX is. And no I doubt it will beat the T-cat- or MachZ on the top, but may with the proper clutching.
Caleb

#47 ·
We'll have to see how it will do compared to the machz and the now deceased t-cat.  Tests so far put it in the mid high 120's.   Even if it doesnt beat their top end how far will they have to go till they catch up to it.  Hopefully yamaha doesn't do to many changes to affect its performance, and all the reviews are what its going to be.

#48 ·
SRXBOY.  I only say good things about the REV (new skidoo) Because i talked to a few people that have ridden them and they say its so good that they couldnt go back.  Also if you look on paper the new design does give you (the rider) every advantage in handling by placing you where you want to be for aggressive riding.  

As for the RX-1 I dont know what it will do and have never even sat on one.  But i remember how yamaha described the VIPER before it was released and that makes me wonder about the RX-1.  I remember even the magazines were saying the viper was faster then the SRX up to a certain speed.  But ive seen the two race and the SRX just leaves it.  That just shows to me that the Magazines say what ever they have to to satisfy there sponcers.  

I hope for you and all the people that already ordered one that its everything yamaha claims and that they dont de tune it and cause a loss in preformance.  

As for how far a Mach Z will have to go to catch up.  Well in a real drag race where everyone has 1000 studs it will probably take awhile.  But on the trails finding that kind of hook up to hold the torque will be very hard if not imposable leaving only the mid range and top end to do any damage.  My guess is that it would be close.

#49 ·
Machzzzz1, I was only trying to give you a hard time.   I agree about the let down yamaha has given in the past.  I wonder if  ones that own the Viper know how to set the thing up or are they running it out of the box stock?   I've heard lots of good about them and bad, so maybe there not clutched and jetted properly.   That can take away a lot of performance as I'm sure your aware.   You hear a lot of complains about good sleds, not just yamaha's that dont seem to run how they're supposed to.

I have a 98 srx and have the jetting perfect (8400) and the plugs, light tan, the transfer is good.  Another srx rider rode mine and couldnt believe how good it went, his was stock and never touched it.  His shifts at around 9100 which is good for six length alone.   I assume he's running rich and he has nothing off the line.  

It should be a good race when the machz and the rx1 go head to head, of course I'll put my money on yamaha. :)

#50 ·
I'm very proud of the folks that are stepping up to the plate to grab a first year RX-1.  You no doubt have a lot of patience.  If the RX-1 runs true to Yamaha form, you'll need plenty of patience.  
Yamaha's hall of shame includes the SR-V(you've got spare pistons, don't you), the '82 SRX 500 (stillborn), the first Exciters (they'll out accellerate the muscle sleds,yeah,right), the V-MAX 4 750, '97 SRX (exploding tracks and bent cranks), and the MUCH overrated Viper.
I think it's a wonderful concept, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut a year from now, this forum will be full of critics hammering on the RX-1.

#51 ·
I agree with what you guys are saying about the problems Yamaha has had in the past. The SRV, Exciter and any other machine Yamaha made in the 80s just plain sucked. But through the 90's they changed their tune a little. Yes the V-max 4 had its problems but they worked them out and it turned out to be a pretty solid sled. The SRX had its problems too but it followed the same path as the V-max. The rule is give the RX-1 a season or two and it will come around just as the Viper will. Aren't you a buch of ski-doo guys talking? I ride with a bunch of ski-doo guys and there is one word that comes to mind...RECALL! Or how about broken pistons, blown CDI boxes, running a little hot? These are all problems I have experienced first hand from brand new ski-doos. Ski-doo has had just as many problems in the past as Yamaha and my ski-doo loving friends will even admit to that. I think you guys have a little case of selective perception. I am not hacking ski-doo, Yamaha has its problems too, but so does everyone else. My point is lets drop the brand loyalty and be logical. As for the DFI comments made earlier...thats what forced OMC to go out of business! They seemed to have a hard time making it realiable. Besides it would still be a two stroke which means twice the beating on the crank and bearings in comparison to a four stroke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.