Snowmobile World banner

Jetting a 1990 Pahzer for Idaho?

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Old-Not-Obsolete 
#1 ·
Is there anyone out here in Idaho running a Phazer II? I shipped my 90 Phazer from Japan and need to rejet it for the new area/altitude. The altitude in Japan was between sea level and maybe 1000 feet. I plan on riding it in the different areas (Boise, Island Park, maybe Yellowstone and West).

The sled is stock right now but I have a pipe to go on it. I also plan on running mixed gas (don't trust the pump). Sometime in the furture (after money gets better) I will be installing a Polaris R & D M10 (136) rear suspension and Pogos from a V-max.

So a suggestion about a starting point for my jetting?

#11 ·
Jetting for a AAEN single pipe... ?

Here is an info sheet about updating nozzles that I received from Hartman's when I had some carbs bored out by them.
For single AAEN pipe change the primary nozzle in the carburetors to part # 80L-14489-00-00
This nozzle has a thru hole which allows the nozzle to draw more fuel to enrich the midrange operation of the carb.
With a pipe it needs more fuel in the midrange or lean seizures result.
A different main nozzle part # 8Y2-14941-2A-00 may also be put in but I found it to cause a bog off idle.
It's purpose is to enrichen the carb just off idle somewhat.
I think this mod is mainly for a big bore engine and not required for the normal 485 cc stock engine.

Our 1991 Phazer-II have the following setup:
Main nozzle: 3A (std)
Primary nozzle: 80L-14489-00-00
Pilot jet: 95 (stock)
Mixture screw: 1 3/8 turn out
:thumbs-up:

#3 ·
When you get around to changing out your track and suspension here are the changes we did to a 1991 Phazer with a 136 x 1.5 inch track to make it run satisfactorily in higher elevations. Note the change in helix.

For single aftermarket Aaen pipe change the primary nozzle in the carburetors to part no. 80L 14489-00-00. This nozzle has a
thru hole which allows the nozzle to draw more fuel to enrich the midrange operation
of the carb. With a pipe it needs more fuel in the midrange or lean seizures result.
A different main nozzle part no. 8Y2 14941-2A-00 may also be put in but I found it to
cause a bog off idle. It's purpose is to enrichen the carb just off idle somewhat. I
think this mod is mainly for a big bore engine and not required for the normal 485 cc
stock engine.
When going to a 1.5" track you will have to change the track sprockets to 7 tooth drivers
instead of the stock 8 tooth drivers to get the clearance that is necessary to clear the
bulkhead. No gearing reduction is necessary as this in effect reduces gearing by 12.5%.
If you don't want to change the drivers then a 1.25" inch track will be the biggest that
you can install.
On our 91 Phazer we have the following setup.
main nozzle - 3A (std)
primary nozzle - 80L 14489-00-00
pilot jet - 95 (stock)
mixture screw 1 3/8 turn out
helix - 39* (88R-17684-00)
primary weight 8VO
primary spring Wht-Lt.Grn
secondary spring Grn-Yel in B-2

#6 · (Edited)
We just used the oil pump. We set it for the factory specs. Just make sure you are getting adequate oil usage for the amount of gas burned and you won't have any trouble. The addition of a pipe on this engine along with the helix change made it run at 9100 rpm vs 8650 for stock so it isn't a huge change.

#7 ·
So now I'm confused. I don't have my carbs apart yet so I was looking at the parts diagram online (getting my list together for an order). It looks like the nozzle is not changeable until 95. Is this correct or is the diagram wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.