Consumer Sleds - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

this will hopefully be my first year running snocross and a few hillcross events. am i out of my mind trying to racing a consumer sled or is this done often. i'm hoping to run in an open class 800cc limit so i guess the real question is put money into a consumer sled or am i better off looking for a used racing sled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:35 PM

sometimes there are pretty good deals on one year old open mod sleds-$5500-6500 or maybe less. on ebay or locally

my guess is that a one year old race sled would be more competitive-better suspension and race geometry

good luck either way
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:10 PM

This is going to be my first year racing sno-cross. I have rode polaris all my pretty much all my life and bought a 2000 440 edge racing sled last year and trail rode it and just bought a 2002 Pro X 440 liquid to race this year for sure. I would get a used race sled you can find good deals on them the have a lot more bottum end power which you need for sno-cross and are built to take a major pounding. Just dont get any farther behind than a 3 year old race sled because you are starting to lack power and strength in the sled. What type of sled are you racing, what brand.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:53 AM

If you are just running a few races in the beginner class or something. It probably doesn't matter too much. Last year I saw a guy riding a 96 or so EXT and he won his heat! Pretty funny to watch him beat up on the newer snocross sleds.
Just remember you need your sled to comply to some rules so you can race. Like a tether kill switch and maybe a few other things. I believe a new ski rule this year too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:40 PM

I think if you are a good rider a consumer sled set up properly will work just fine, As of just a few years ago that is what the pro's used. I think a pro-x or an mxz would be just fine. its really all in the set-up and how good you are.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:27 PM

If your gonna sno x get a year old sled, its gonna get if not mangled at least hurt so its instantly going to depreciate esecially if your not getting racer price from your dealer which is hard to doo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:35 PM

If your going to doo it doo it right. Get a used race sled. It's proven to work right. You might spend alot of money to get your consumer up to par with a race sled.

Take the chance with a good used race sled

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:59 PM

Like what he said
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:38 PM

Me three, especially in Open Class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page