Exporting Sleds? - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 12:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sled Dogg
ALOT od dealers and individuals sell new and used sleds st the Bronson,Mi auction. Most always they state canadian sled warrentys not honored in US. Some dealers can pull it out though I've heard. Now I have a dealer in CAD on the us border that is willing to sell me a 03 Pro-X 440 Liquid race sled for 5800 US OTD and still honor warrenty. That is a huge savings over us dealers. I'm always looking and sometimes it's worth it sometimes it's not. You still have to pay taxes when you go to register it here in MI. So you need to have them write up a bill of sale with a super low purchase price so you pay less taxes.
caleb

Caleb Lamley
Quick Oil Change Managment & Consulting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LB700@Feb 5 2003, 11:55 AM
Quote:
If you bought A Ski Doo you would save little or no money because of the tarrifs that would be imposed on you when you cross the border or that had already been imposed on the Dealer/Manufacturer.
Who fed you that line?

Just curious, as to where these silly rumours start.
I believe I may have mis spoke, I don't know if they where Tarrifs or just an exsize tax/duty at the Boarder. But when I researched buying a sled from Canada when talking to the Different Dealers this what I summized. I could save alot on a Artic Cat built in the US but the Savings for a Ski Doo built in Canada was Minor. The savings on the Artic Cat was so great that I went with a friend to Canada and picked up a F7 for him.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 08:26 PM

it's not fair. it just isn't.................

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by konkinj@Feb 4 2003, 10:51 PM
It is not quite that bad. Actually $5000 USD = $7900 CND
I think some of you guys are a bit confused. Use my figures from above as an EXAMPLE.
If you go to a bank in Canada OR the USA with $5000 USD, the teller will gve you $7900 CND.
If you go to a sled dealer in Canada OR the USA with $5000 USD you can purchase a sled with a sticker price of $7900 CND.
If the suggersted list price of ANY brand of sled is $5000 USD at a dealer in the United States, the suggested list price of that same sled will be CLOSE to $7900 CND in Canada. (I make a disclaimer with this statement------ my figures will be close, not nessissarily exact, because of changes in the exchange rate over a season and a few other factors that the manufacturers apply). The statement above that one brand is cheaper (or more expensive) because it is made in Canada or the US is just not true.
There is no duty on Polaris, Doo and Cat sleds because of NAFTA, I am unsure about Yamaha. Sales taxes definitely will be charged when Importing a sled into either country (these taxes, in my opinion are just another form of duty). These sales taxes need to be paid on BOTH new and used sleds when importing them into Canada
There is no excise duty or tarrifs on sleds because of NAFTA.
There, now I feel better
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 11:12 AM

That's what I meant, I just didn't bother to figure out the exchange.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

so if there aren't any excise taxes duties or tariffs why don't more people import sleds??? It seems to me like there's some hidden clause that makes it not worth it to buy a sled in Canada.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 10:10 PM

I can't answer the question about why sleds don't go from Canada to the US, but I have imported 3 sleds from the US to Canada (I got a good deal at a couple of auctions), and I can tell you the paperwork is a real pain in the ###.
There is a semi governmental agency called R.I.V. (registrar of imported vehicles), with a whole long list of procedures (including inspections at acredited stations). The fee was $200+ dollars on the last seld I brought back.
This R.I.V. outfit controls all vehicles, including trailers, so if you plan on importing anything to Canada my advice is to know exactly what you need to do IN ADVANCE. If you don't you could be stuck with a vehicle that you can't register (get a licence plate for).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page