Summer storage - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any good sugestions on what to do to the sled before storing in for the summer??? *Or if you have any links...

Thanks.

Crazy Canuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up

Give it to your dealer and pick up a new ride in the fall

Seriously, put gas stabilizer in the fuel tank, fog the carbs, oil the pipe, and cover it with a sheet BEFORE you put the cover on.I wouldnt leave too much gas in it either as next season you will be burning old fuel.RedRocket800 leaves the gas full, I dont like to burn old fuel.

Be sure when you bring it out next season you either take it to the dealer to prep it or if you know how CLEAN YOUR CARBS, this will make a world of difference.The other gear heads in here can probobly tell you a few more handy tips. Good luck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 12:13 PM

Don't forget to grease it! That will force any of the water thats accumalated in the various areas out to prevent rust.
Your suspension, especially steering will love you for it.

My sleds are usually treated to a trip to the car wash for a good clean up. After drying, a good heavy coat of WD-40 is the last thing they get till fall. A full gas tank will prevent condensation from forming while in storage.

AL

'07 Apex RTX w/Pro X suspension conversion, Fox Floats w/resi's, Doo extro drivers, Cobra track, Dual Ryde FX rear clickers, .375 Edge torsion springs, HyGear Dual rate front skid springs, SLP anti-stab kit, Powermadd handguards/mirrors, 2" Rox riser, shimmed Poo skis w/custom (homemade) ski savers, Black chrome W/S, Graphics by Arctic FX, and a grin every time I think about it! New Project: 600HO Fusion bump sled, Air 2.0 w/hi/low valves, HRM spindles, Retro graphics, .359 torsion springs.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up

Heres how I doo it been dooin this way for years.
Wash the sled inside and out.
Give it a good coat of wax.
Grease and lube every thing that's greasable.
Fog the engine untill it dies, also running it out of gas at the same time.
Drain the fuel tank.
spay some kind of rust preventative on the enging and pipes or anything that might rust.
jack it up, front and rear.
cover it up.
Now pray to the snow gods we have a better winter then this last one!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 01:10 PM

hi guys - I have heard that it is a good idea to spray *the underside with WD-40 to prevent rusting, as well as the pipes and any metal parts in the engine compartment.

anyone see a problem with this? *I fire mine up every 2 weeks or so all year, just to keep everything oiled, and to get a good whiff of 2-stroke exhaust........

thanks

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, Ride Sober.......And Everyone Lives to Ride Another Day
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 01:14 PM

I agree with michahicks.

I always fill my sled right to the brim with gas. *This prevents condiensation. *I also add stable which keeps the gas in good condition. *

Next season when you bring it out you should take it easy for the first 100km or so to give your engine time to work in again and to burn of the old gas which probably is still in good conditon.

ALso fog the carbs and fog the cylinders. *(Do not turn fuel shut of valve of and drain the carb.) You will get deposits in the carbs. *Just put stable in the gas and run some of it through then just stop the engine. *

Then i take some WD-40 and put a heavy coat of it on the engine and pipes. *THen i close the vents on the front of the machine. *

Then i stuff up the exhaust pipes with steel wool keeping mice out of it. *Then i cover it up and dont touch it till fall.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 02MXZ600
For sure use fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, and run the machine for a few minutes after you put it in the tank. *Then spray some fogger in the carbs and I also spray it in the spark plug hole. *Be sure to lift the rear end off the ground, and support it some how. *Put a cover on it. *Grease all the fittings, and you should be set. *OH yeah, fill the tank up too.

02 MXZ X 600-Stock for now
1997 Honda Civic
1974 Honda 360 CL aka Scrambler
1992 16' Lund Rebel
The Webpage
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up

Dont forget to put a shot of oil in each spark plug hole
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 08:23 AM

i do all the above and don't drain the gas out of carbs though , use stabilizer fuel so gas won't gel in carb bowl. the seals and o-rings dry out and will crack from being to dry and condensation builds up fast in the bowl because of the small volume they hold.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:01 PM

Heres what I do:
*Fill up w/gas and fill oil injection to the top. (gas is siphoned in the fall).
*Add the proper amount of stabil.
*Wash and degrease the entire sled.
*Grease the entire chassis.
*Run the engine long enough to be sure the entire fuel system is treated.
*Fog the engine/ remove the plugs spray each cyl. w/fogging oil.
*Install store rites (added security against moisture for 10 bucks).
*Put steel wool in the pipe.
*Drain and refill chain case.
*Remove drive belt.
*Put the lift under it(so the whole suspension is hanging).
*Loosen track tension.
* If possible remove any spring tension on suspension.
*Spray exhaust and any parts which may rust w/wd-40.
*Wax the sled.
*Put a sheet over it, then the cover.

If you need help always ask the one who is busy, the others have no time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page