Anyone Going To Try This Out - Page 2 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Receives the Groomer Warning Beacon signal [/b]
that could be worth the 130 on its own

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 AM

I love the idea of any communicator. Nextel is great in lower MI, but as soon as you cross the bridge you may as well turn it off. There are several time where I have wanted to tell my buddies something on the trail, but couldn't. There are also times when I say funny things like "ouch" on a big bump. That would be pretty funny to hear. I think when the prices comes down like they did on the family radio's, the wife and I will get a set.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
that could be worth the 130 on its own
[/b]
I have no idea what it would be like to run up on a groomer but that would ahve to be pretty cool. I also saw one that has weather built in. Not that I would use that part much but it would be kinda cool to have.

I like to rock out to music when riding so the chatterbox is great. When someone talks it has a talk over feature so you can hear the person instead of the music. If there is a bunch of talk I dont want to hear I either turn it off or go to a sub ch and keep listening to music.

I guess my thoughts when buying it were better to have it and not need it than want it and not have it.

They are a lot of fun to listen to when in the "playground" and not jsut on the trail. I remember hearing rollerdoo after he hit a jump and about wet myself it was so funny.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to flyin-lowe
I called Collett about these and was told hte following.
The snofone is the same freq. and siganl strength as the Plat. 900. It just does not have the freauters for music and cell phone hookups. They did tell me that you can use the snofone with the original modular helmet(which I have) but you have to cut a hole in the face mask to run the mich. through. It WILL NOT work with the newer style helmets , (BV2S), thats what my buddy has. The Plat. 900 has a wireless mich. that has a small reciever that mounts inside of you face mask without cutting a hole and without trying to thread the flexible boom mike under you face mask. I dont know that I would use all of the music features and stuff, but I think it would be worth the extra $40 not to have to cut a hole in my modular. And also the lady told me that they have about a 1 mile range, up to 2 miles in a "perfect" environment. I wander if you were out of radio range and you had your cell phone hooked up if you could still communicate that way?? Maybe someone who has the Plat 900 could answer that.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
i ordered a pair of those from Apexdruggy he did a group purchase.

IF WE GIVE ALL THE PROFIT TO THE IMPORTS WHAT WILL BE LEFT?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM

I would liek to compare freqs with the chatterbox to see if we will all be able to talk on a ch.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Fist, when people run up on a groomer it usually is not a pretty site.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM

My brother and I both use Collett 900 Communicators. We bought them new last year. We both have Modular Helmets. You can see, somewhat, my Collett with my Modular in the attached photo. The hook-up was elementary. The battery life is about 9 hours on them. The piece of mind of knowing everything, that your partner sees around him and you can be communicated instantly, is invaluable. Last year in Paradise MI, three careless sledders we going way faster than what they could handle around a curve, and crossed the invisible middle line. My brother was in front of me by 200 yards, and told me of the impending danger. I quickly moved over to the side, off the trail and was narrowly missed. One other great aspect of the Collett Platinumn is that you can hook up a MP3 player or a cell phone to it. I listen to 8 hours of music on my MP3 through the Collett Speakers while riding. If my brother says something to me while the music is playing, the music stops and his voice cuts in automatically. When he's done speaking, the music resumes. When we got close to the groomers the beacon sound was unmistakable! I highly recommend these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, NEXTEL in Michigans UP is as good as teets on a bull.

Safety First!
Snow_Bone
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:11 PM

The group I ride with also uses the Collett 900, they are invaluable for safety. I have the modular helmet and the install is as easy as using a track cutter and hammer to cut the hole for the mic. I have never had the range of 2 miles my estimate is 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. I was in the UP last winter with a couple of guys that dont have communicators and I came through a tight corner well the next guy blew the corner and and went thru a creek and his brother follewed, if they had had the communicator I would have been able to warn them of the tight corner. The VOX works well as long u set up the mic properly. Collett gives good directions on their web site.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 PM

once you have a communicator, you won't want to ride without one.

its one of those things you don't realize you need until you don't have it anymore.

FishHOg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page