Hole In Heat Exchanger? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I was hoping someone could help me witj a big problem i had this weekend. I broke my suspension and tore a hole in my heat exchanger.
can anyone tell me if there is anything to patch the exchanger for i do not have the money to spend on a new exchanger.
I fixed the suspension but dont know if i might be able to use maybe J B weld or something else to patch the hole. i also need tunnel gaurds......
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 PM

Pull the skid and drive shaft, empty and flush the exchangers and bring to any decent weld shop.
JB weld is a crappy fix and is not reliable (do you want to be as far as possible from home and have it start to leak?)
I welded the tear in the front exchanger on my old ZR, and it lasted another 7,000 miles.
You should be able to get it welded for less than $40-50.00.

The only time I would use JB or epoxy was if I was on a trip and had no other alternative to get some miles in.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Pull the skid and drive shaft, empty and flush the exchangers and bring to any decent weld shop.
JB weld is a crappy fix and is not reliable (do you want to be as far as possible from home and have it start to leak?)
I welded the tear in the front exchanger on my old ZR, and it lasted another 7,000 miles.
You should be able to get it welded for less than $40-50.00.

The only time I would use JB or epoxy was if I was on a trip and had no other alternative to get some miles in.[/b]

+1

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM

+2 jb weld will hold as a temp. fix. needs to be done properly to trust any use.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

The only problem with taking it to be welded is that i think the exchanger is riveted in place. and the spot is abot 2'' x 5''
what do you think drill the rivets out and bring it to a welding shop will work...
Thanks for the help guys i really need it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The only problem with taking it to be welded is that i think the exchanger is riveted in place. and the spot is abot 2'' x 5''
what do you think drill the rivets out and bring it to a welding shop will work...
Thanks for the help guys i really need it...[/b]

take out the rear suspension/track and driveshaft . then take the whole sled to a good welder . get it tig welded ,not mig, stick or gas welded .tig only. btw this is jmho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page