What to look for. - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

What to look for.

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 98 ski-doo mxz 670.
Is there anything I should know about this sled that could be a problem like difficult maintenance or weak point's.
I'm new to sledding but not to powersports.
This sled would be used for trails in New England. Ive done a little research and it seems that it was pretty quick for the year but not very comfortable at lower speed's. How easy/expensive would it be to make the suspension more low speed friendly?

Thank's for your advise. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Coming 2 a Trail near You

Send a message via AIM to PowderBoy
I am not too familiar with ski-doos but i do know about suspension. the MXZ was the ditch banger of ski-doos line up that year. They were built for harder riders. At low speeds in rough terrain most "sno-Pro" style machines will kinda throw you around a bit since the suspension isnt getting a "proper" workout. My 660 St is a very stiff and when your cruising down a bumpy trail it will ride better at higher speeds.

the fix for this is not really cheap, you can start by turning the spring adjustments to there lowest setting, this will give you a little more play at slow speeds in bumps, If that doesnt correct the problem changing the springs first and the shock secondary would be an option as well but your probably looking at about $200+ and changing springs (for the most part) is not picnic. If you know someone who has done it then invite them over for a beer cause anyone who has done it a few times knows the tricks to getting them in.

Another cheap fix it to learn to time your bumps when riding. Come off the seat at the right time using the handlebars for leverage and your feet to push off, while this may seem like a little work, it will save you back a little and can make for a smoother ride, Ultimately i wouldnt recommend this for a 50 mile trail though.

with any machine the more you ride it the more you will learn what you can and can do with it, without breaking your rear end. Learn how the sled responds to changing conditions on the trail and before you know it you wont think its as bad as some of the reviews you have heard/.

Just my 2 cents

2002 Pantera 800 (BIG BERTHA)
2002 ZR 600 (CJV)
2005 T660 ST
2002 Z71 Tahoe
1987 Silverado 3/4 Ton (Project Plow Truck)
1996 Pro-Line 201 Walk Around

CAN YOU EVER HAVE TOO MANY TOYS?

AC FORUM MODERATOR
----------------------------
CJV 02/24/83 - 04/15/08
God took away my riding buddy this year but hes not going to let god take away our snow, forever in our hearts.
----------------------------
Sterling Marlin &
David Reutimann
Fan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I race harescramble's on my Honda 450 so I'm familliar with the riding position and how it effect's the ride. I guess I'll just have to tweak the stock suspension and see what happen's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page