121 Track - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

121 Track

We've got deep light powder snow I'm south Ontario, riding my iq800 in Virgin powder feels like it it labours hard. Is this bad, does it hurt the clutches or motor.... Wanna giver but don't wanna kill her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 PM

It shouldn't hurt your engine, you may wear the belt out a bit faster. Make sure the surfaces of both the primary and secondary don't have any belt residue, keep the snow off of 'em, you should be good to go.

2007 RMK 700, 2008 RMK 600, 1995 AC Prowler 2-up, 1980? AC Cheetah
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Kool.. BC....thanks... Any chance you know anything about the high octane detection plug wire... My sled, Iq 800. Retarded a couple times..didn't know what was goin on.sooo I shut it down..changed plugs and carried on..seemed ok
...My polaris mech said, it might be cause the high octane detection stepped in......he said all I need to do is unplug the two wires inside the cowl, clutch side, just inside the side panel.?..I saw two plugs..one big ass one with half a dozen wires, and one single wire connection ... Would that be the one to unplug....don't really like messing with the electrical, specially after my V.R. And ECU just got replaced..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 PM

If your engine is like my 600 or 700, there's an acoustical pick-up that is listening for detonation. If it detects det a certain times in a minute, it retards the timing to keep the engine safe. I wouldn't disable it, it's a failsafe if you fill up with 92 octane and the fuel is junk. It can keep det from pounding your engine to death.

You can look for the sensor on the air horn side of the hood under the head water cover, it's a do-nut looking thing with one bolt through the middle attached to a short wire that has a plug attached to the other end. Sometimes the sensors go bad, check right at the sensor for fraying or a break in the wire. (I'm not sure that's the location for the sensor on the monoblock engine, but that's the location on my 600 and 700 engines...)

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...ors-components

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 PM

There is a bullet type connector in that area that you unplug for running ethanol gas. That is what your dealer is referring to. It richens the fuel mixture by 5% which may be enough to stop the detonation. If you aren't running known fresh premium non ethanol fuel you should unplug those wires. Worst thing that can happen is that you will burn a bit more fuel. As far as I know when you unplug the wires it does not retard timing. If your sled goes into detonation mode then the ECU retards timing.

I'm not exactly sure when Polaris started putting that feature in their sleds. I thought it was 2009 as I'm pretty sure the early CFI sleds did not have the bullet connectors. Here is a video that shows location and procedure.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TwzsRRrB8

The older I get the better I was; In fact now that I think about it I am a legend.

Last edited by retiredpop; 02-25-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add info
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks pop..very helpful.... Bad news though...my 800 just blew up...no det response.. No retarting... Just simply broke, wasn't even running hard..she's not seized, but she's got pieces bouncing around in there... My confusion lies in the fact that I always use Shell high octane.. Good fuel..and additive from Polaris. And Polaris Gold oil...when the sled blew..there was no indication, wouldn't that have been that the DET kicked in.?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Actually there is no reason why the DET should have kicked in if you were running premium. It senses pre-ignition of the fuel and that is very unlikely with premium fuel. There is no way you could have prevented what happened short of tearing the engine down and inspecting the top end. You either broke a piston or a cylinder skirt and that is what is rattling around. There are a few after market "fix kits" exactly for this problem such as MTNTK http://www.pmspolaris.com/thefix.htm.

RK TEK http://www.2strokeheads.com/Polarispistons.htmmakes a direct replacement piston that is supposed to work well and eliminate piston slap.

You've definitely had your share of tough luck with this sled.

The older I get the better I was; In fact now that I think about it I am a legend.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

If is wasn't for bad luck... I wouldn't have any luck at all....actually, my luck is that I was riding during the day when I broke...not at night when it was minus 20....Anyhow, Pops more good info,I've gotta chat with the mechanic doin my motor, and see if this is a better direction for a fix.. Thankx again Pops
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Nothing sucks worse than getting towed back to the trailer

Hope it's not as expensive as mine was last year; A piece of skirt broke off and got shoved through the bottom of the crankcase. It also broke a big chunk of the cylinder skirt off, too. I got to buy LOTS of new parts because of that!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
Nothing sucks worse than getting towed back to the trailer
I'd think Polaris riders would be used to it.

2015 Renegade Backcountry 600
1999 Jag 340 Deluxe
1999 Z 370
1996 Touring E 380
1995 Summit 583
1994 Indy XTL SKS 600
1986 Tundra 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page